Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Take advice on hunting with a grain of salt

Default Take advice on hunting with a grain of salt

I say this because one mans devastating hunt is a walk in the park to another.

I watch for statements like "we finished skinning after five hours" or" make sure you take a bear fence" That tells me the person is very inexperienced

Quote Originally Posted by TS View Post
    " or" make sure you take a bear fence" That tells me the person is very inexperienced
    Sorry, but I know a few very experienced hunters, far more so than me, that have used a bear fence.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Sorry, but I know a few very experienced hunters, far more so than me, that have used a bear fence.....
    +1, So nobody listen to me, I'm still a Cheechako!
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by TS View Post
    I say this because one mans devastating hunt is a walk in the park to another.

I watch for statements like "we finished skinning after five hours" or" make sure you take a bear fence" That tells me the person is very inexperienced
    Bear fence dosen't say if a person is inexperinced or not. Some people are very cautious then others.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I've got one spot that I refuse to go anymore without a bear fence. The last time I camped there without I was solo, and less than a mile away from my tent while I slept, a grizzly ate a weber bbq grill off a cabin's back porch. (yes, he chewed up the steel 'cause it tasted like bbq), and a week later same place with a buddy, we got bear scat between our tents the very first night there.

This past year, virtually every hunter that had downed big game had a run in with a grizzly; not all were able to defend their meat.

I'm presently planning my next trip there, and I'll bring one or two kids. I'll pack a couple extra battery packs and my fence tester. Call me inexperienced, but I "make sure I take my bear fence".

i agree you should take anyones advice with a grain of salt when it comes to hunting. too many different ability levels, physical levels, expierience, yada yada. however the two statements that we're being told to watch out for are ridiculous. my friend who is a hell of a hunter uses a bear fence to protect his plane while he's out hunting. skinning something in a precarious spot may take way longer than it should. this thread is horse...poop.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    +1, So nobody listen to me, I'm still a Cheechako!
    And how in the world did you know it was you I was referring to...???....lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    i agree you should take anyones advice with a grain of salt when it comes to hunting. too many different ability levels, physical levels, expierience, yada yada. however the two statements that we're being told to watch out for are ridiculous. my friend who is a hell of a hunter uses a bear fence to protect his plane while he's out hunting. skinning something in a precarious spot may take way longer than it should. this thread is horse...poop.
    100% agree
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Does that mean I am a master hunter since I don't use a bear fence? Sweet, never mind that I just havent got one but want one to help fall asleep at night when the bears are waliking around camp...

I do agree with the main part of the statement because some people find some things more difficult then others, like sleeping with the bears
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

I realize that this thread is getting off track, but I use a bear fence to protect my stuff when I'm away from camp more than anything else. That constant noise gets on my nerves. That is when they get ya, when you are away, nice to protect the meat cache as well.
    Founding Member

Steve.

You really hit some nerves on this one. I have never seen any of your threads turn this direction.

Randy

I believe the forum is for persons with all levels of expertise. An avenue for sharing ideas, experiences and getting information (although somewhat limited at times) that may just prevent us from repeating mistakes made by others in the past. I will not judge someone that calls a cartridge, a bullet, nor do I correct those who use “are” when they mean “our.” That guy or gal may help pack out a quarter or point me in the direction of a nice bull while they stand over theirs for five hours skinning it. I’ll never stop learning and I’ll never stop trying to teach.

I think it's pretty easy to tell who the wavy hitters around here are.

And many of them use bear fences.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle50 View Post
    Steve.

You really hit some nerves on this one. I have never seen any of your threads turn this direction.

Randy
    It's winter time,, what else are we going to talk about? I already know I'm an idiot, must be true because I just read it on 24hr.

Good luck on the camofire contest, voted for ya.
    Founding Member

Btw I'm packin a bear fence this fall.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Steve,

I know the real reason was to get it off the "I drew this ??? and need help" or "So and so drew all those tags and I didn't get squat" threads. LOL

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle50 View Post
    Steve,

I know the real reason was to get it off the "I drew this ??? and need help" or "So and so drew all those tags and I didn't get squat" threads. LOL

Randy

I didnt get squat, my dad drew this (brown bear tag 766 i believe), i probably need many forms of help and i wish i had a bear fence, maybe that would keep them from climbing into my boat while im trying to sleep in it anchored 20yrds off shore.

Lets not beat him up or the . We each have our on opinion on what is a green horn hunter and verteran.
    Let keep this fourm informitave!!

As my self will be buying a bear fence this spring...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Along the lines of this thread...............has anyone noticed posts with misleading info?
    Seems some are pretty protective of their areas.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Along the lines of this thread...............has anyone noticed posts with misleading info?
    Seems some are pretty protective of their areas.
    MISINFORMATION IS STILL INFORMATION

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast