Thread: DS203 Delta sheep early season question

Default DS203 Delta sheep early season question

I'm trying to decide on walk in vs. fly in to Charlie Boyd for this hunt. I've been applying for a Delta or Tok tag for nearly 10 years, so I want to make the best of this hunt. I'm considering taking the bow, but I'm leaning towards a rifle for my first sheep hunt. I've called 40 mile first thing Friday morning and put my name down for August 9th to fly out, but I haven't gotten a confirmation call back yet, so my options are still open. Are there benefits to flying out vs. hiking in for this hunt?

Jerod,

I was drawn for DS203 last year and had the same question. I spoke at length with Dave (last name escapes me), a wildlife technician in the Delta F&G office that used to guide the DCUA. Asked if he could pick one, what would he choose, and he said fly in to CB since he knew where mineral licks are, etc. I ultimately chose walking in from the north and was successful. One benefit of walking in might be that there are just more options on places to go. Either one you choose, I'm a firm believer that you make your own "benefits" by just being willing to walk further than anyone else that might have walked in or flown in to your place of choosing. You could probably also check F&G success rates for those that fly in versus walk.

Dan

I had a similar decision to make... I walked in and found legal sheep but was unsuccessful when the clouds set in. Doing it over, I would likely hook a ride to Charlie Boyd for something different.

I've had friends who have done both and were successful- not sure there is really a wrong answer.

One thing to remember with the DCUA is the weather can be a real PITA- I know when the weather turned unhuntable with no end in sight I was happy to be able to walk out rather than sit there for days waiting on a charter.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I'd imagine there will be plenty of folks flying into CB, so I would plan to spend day 1 hiking our camp a ways in from the strip. I plan to talk to the area bio's to see if they could point me in a good direction. I might have a person that can fly me out a few days before the hunt to scope the area out as well, but I'd stick with the plan to have 40 mile get me in and out. I've been weighing some of my gear and trying to figure out exactly how to do 50lbs, but with somebody else coming, I could split the weight a little more between camp and kitchen.

I also drew this tag and am planning on walking in and was wondering if you guys could point me to threads of guys that have done this hunt before?

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    I'd imagine there will be plenty of folks flying into CB, so I would plan to spend day 1 hiking our camp a ways in from the strip. I plan to talk to the area bio's to see if they could point me in a good direction. I might have a person that can fly me out a few days before the hunt to scope the area out as well, but I'd stick with the plan to have 40 mile get me in and out. I've been weighing some of my gear and trying to figure out exactly how to do 50lbs, but with somebody else coming, I could split the weight a little more between camp and kitchen.
    40 mile told us they would not bring another group to charlie boyd until they took us out of there. there are, of course, other pilots - but we were the only group they took in at that time.

Also, Jerrod, clean out your Inbox.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Thanks guys. Scott, my inbox is opened up.

Got the call from 40 mile today and have first dibs on the fly in for the opener. They won't drop other hunters there while we are in there, so I think that is the direction I'll go. Have to call them back by tomorrow to confirm. I do have two options for fly in areas, one is a high water mark in Spur Creek that we would land in the creek is sounds like, the other is Charlie Boyd.

If anybody has other insite, I would highly appreciate it before I have to commit tomorrow.

Thanks!

Isn't the only place you can land on this nonmotorized hunt at CB?

I would lean towards Spur. I will check map tonight and will spur my memory on some intel about that. Will get back with you later.

mod, I told the guys at 40 mile that I didn't want to take a chance on an iffy rule saying we could land there, but he said it is a legit location to land during the non-motorized season. I've seen it mentioned before, and I do plan to contact the area bio to make sure.

Northway, I look forward to hearing your input. Thank you!

Looks like the flight option might not work out for me, at this point I don't have a partner to tag along with me, and they won't let me go solo.

I'll need to start looking at the walk in options I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Looks like the flight option might not work out for me, at this point I don't have a partner to tag along with me, and they won't let me go solo.

I'll need to start looking at the walk in options I guess.

Theres a bunch of tag holders out there, get a hold of one of them, fly in together and split up from there and go about your ways, then meet back at the strip with your rams to get back out with 40 mile.

There's always a loop hole to get your way around it. ..... There's also other air carriers that will fly you in once you sign a disclosure.
    Solo is doable you know that already, just have to be smart about about risk taking.

I was thinking that, but it would be a risk since I have to book and put the deposit down for 2. If I can't get somebody else to fly out at the same time, then I'm stuck with losing the deposits. I was ready to go solo from the start, but 40 mile hit me with the stipulation when I called them on Friday. I'll ask them tomorrow about signing a disclosure.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Jerod,
    Another thought is getting another flight service. I know a guy who flew with someone out of delta last year.

Also, there were some helpful folks in the glennallen office when we looked at areas, etc.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Hi, I also drew the DS203 tag for this year. it will be my first year hunting in Alaska, so I am super excited! I was wondering if anybody had any kind of advice/which direction to head off to and If most people go from the Richardson HWY? I am willing to put in the miles for an awesome sheep. Any details or opinions on this hunt would be appreciated! I have only lived in Alaska for a year now, so I dont know the area up by Delta all that well yet. Thinking about doing a scouting trip this summer before the hunt. good luck and any advice would be greatly appreciated!