Thread: Draw help

Default Draw help

Hi guys. I can tell the date just by the shear number of guys who have contacted me this weekend looking for lat min help with a hunt that the pulled a tag for.

It is very important that we all understand that most of my 2013 hunters began the planning process 6 months ago and have deposits on flight services and gear right now. I have gotten a number of guys who were lucky enough to draw a good tag but have not started the process of planning yet and are expecting that I have gear left and can find them a pilot. Maybe yes and maybe no. Of the 3 flight services that I work with only 1 have mush of anything left and those dates may not be what you're looking for. I have 1 float hunt outfit left for 2013 and about 6 drop camps remaining.

I guess what I am trying to say is planning way ahead is critical for a successful hunt. You can throw a hunt together at the last minute some times but you may not get what you really want. I have been booking 2014 and even 2015 hunts for about 2-3 months because most of my groups are planning ahead.

Drop me a line if you need some assistance.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Unit 23-Kotzebue
    www.northwestalaska.net
    Attached Images Attached Images

Honest question here:

What do people do that put in for a tag with a 5% draw rate for planning ahead when they obviously won't know if they'll draw the tag in say, 2014?

I don't put in for tags that I can't access with my own equipment but if I had the interest you post seems to indicate I would either have to make reservations knowing i'd have a 95% chance of cancelling or hope for a "last minute" opening?

What I do with my clients is write up their agreement with a clause that is they do not draw a unit 23 tag I will refund their deposit. This allows me to fill my slots and allows my hunters an honest shot at a tag with out the pain of loosing $500. This year 100% of my moose hunters pulled the tags that they put in for. One of the sub units we enchourage the guys to put in for has been 100% in the past 2 years and in 2011 it was 93% for legal bulls 50 inches + ( or 4 brow tines). I would always ask your outfitter or pilot about this situation and I will bet you that most will work with you.

Walt
    www.northwestalaska.net
    Float hunts and drop camps-Unit 23
    907-259-4290

Great info, thanks! I've never utilized an outfitter but I'll keep that in mind for the future if I get the chance!