Thread: ? RE: Controlled Use Area Access in the regs...

Indiana, only because that's where the check came from...

Default ? RE: Controlled Use Area Access in the regs...

Some areas in AK have controlled use areas that specifically state that an area is closed to the use of motorized vehicles for hunting including the transportation of hunters, their gear, etc. Does this definition include access by air transportation, e.g., float access to lakes or rivers in said areas? I'm just not clear on the full legal definition of "motorized vehicles" which I interpret as ATV, trucks, etc.

It isn't consistent honestly. Usually you can't land within a non-motorized use area though some places have identified strips. Frequently boats are allowed but I don't believe that is 100% I know the dalton you can use boats. Rafts, horse, mule or shanks mare are ok. I am not sure if you can parachute in or not but odds are the chute would be too much to haul back out anyway. Maybe parachute in with a packraft and go that way? I suppose calling AWT would be in order for that one.

Each one is likely to have caveats, Like you can use a horse in walk in areas, and some lakes within walk in areas have exceptions for float planes. You'll have to choose an area then read the regs carefully as they can change from year to year. Alaska is just as full of special interest as anywhere.

Some trails you can use a wheeler on but if you shoot a moose on the south side of the trail you can't drive over to it with the wheeler,you must pack it to the wheeler, but on the north side it's legal to drive the wheeler off of the trail.

And...all Federal lands are closed to motorized unless EXPRESSLY open. The state is reveres will all lands open to motorized unless expressly closed such as the Controlled Use Areas mentioned here.

Information on all controlled use areas can be found here:
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm....controlleduse

To me it looks like "motorized vehicle" is quite literal and would include airplanes since there are numerous instances where it says "closed to motorized vehicles except that aircraft may land at airstrip xzy"

Indiana, only because that's where the check came from...

Thank you all very much for the helpful information. It appears that I will have to ask some very specific questions that are both situation and area specific. There's never an easy answer is there...Eric

Each Unit section in the regs should have a section where any CUAs are listed and explained. CUAs are usually more specific than just "motorized". They are often exclusive to a type of motor vehicle (airplane) and often have dates they are in effect.
    If you still need help, tell us what unit your looking at.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!