Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Db247

Default Db247

anyone have any experience with this tag? Larsen bay/uyak bay brown bear, amook island is also in the area and wondering what the bear population is on the island. It is a spring tag, what is the best time to go in spring etc? if anyone had this tag last year and is willing to share secrets send mea message or call 907-382-0199

I hunted there last fall, however as a nr I used outfitter, love that area, not sure of your budget but the outfitter there offers a heck of a deal for residents, if not you wil need a raft. Big thing find a good glassing spot and stay put. We mainly glassed across bays and up on the mountain sides. I had posted a link on my hunt, not sure how to copy it into here? It was titled Kodiak I think. Saw several smaller bears on amook, PM me and I can give outfitter info if you would like image.jpg

mudman,

I got lots of infor for you. You have a year to plan and I can give options. Amook Island is mostly private but there are other places around to hunt. We can get together whenever or do it by email.

Randy

I hunted both Bear and Deer for some 20+ years. Try Brown's Lagoon and hike back about 4 miles to the lake and spike out.
    amook has Bears off and on but not a sure bet, If hunting from the Larsen Bay side you could contact Steele Davis who has lodging and boat for transport.

Roland,

You have to be carefol of the native land there now. They started putting restrictions on it about 3 years ago. You can still hunt it but costs a trespass fee.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle50 View Post
    mudman,

I got lots of infor for you. You have a year to plan and I can give options. Amook Island is mostly private but there are other places around to hunt. We can get together whenever or do it by email.

Randy
    So a Kodiak spring bear tag from this years draw is good in to 2014? If that's the case I didn't realize that and that would sure take the pressure off a guy trying to plan a hunt that is gonna happen in just a couple months otherwise.

Thanks Randy,my hunting days are over unfortunately. we once were left a note by the feds . He was bummed out cause we weren't in camp (hey were hunters ) he wanted to charge us for using an abanden cabin. So, we set up a tent. When we returned he wanted to write a ticket. I called his superviser. The note said "you must leave the cabin OR you will be cited " The super asked if he returned to check if we left the cabin, no he replied. Then the super asked his officer what the deal was about asking for payment. Well, we found out he was transfered to Anituvik pass. Hope he had time to reflect you don't ask for pocket money.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadWolf View Post
    So a Kodiak spring bear tag from this years draw is good in to 2014? If that's the case I didn't realize that and that would sure take the pressure off a guy trying to plan a hunt that is gonna happen in just a couple months otherwise.
    Look up the hunt in the hunting supplement (what you used to apply). It is here: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/li...supplement.pdf When you find the hunt, look at the heading for the season. If you just applied in December 2012 (the current results posted), the seasons for that hunt are fall of 2013 and spring of 2014 depending on which one you got. They do this intentionally because the season is so soon after the permits are awarded so people have time to plan.

Cool, thanks for that info. Like I said, sure does take the pressure off anybody who drew that tag. I've never really gotten too excited myself about applying for those spring tags as all my time off for hunting is needed for the fall.

Roland,

Interesting story. I hope he enjoyed his new assigment. That would be quite a change in scenery. Interested about the cabin you stayed in. Was it on Amook? Lots of bears around there and Steele is a good resource. Muncy's group shot a 30" class bear south of there this year.

I understand about hunting days being limited but really hope you can make it hunting if that is a choice you can make. Anything I can do to help that along, I would be happy to work on it.

Randy

I have heard a couple different theories, is the best thing to sit and glass or cruise the beaches? Spring coastal brownies into eating keep on tidal flats or fresh greens or mostly winter kills? Does anyone have any input on the cabins in the area? The map on the fish and game website shows cabins on the west side of uyak bay along side amook island. A couple years ago I took a brown bear hunting seminar put on by fish and game featuring Joe Want from Fairbanks, used to be a master guide on kodiak. I saw he was putting in another seminar in Fairbanks, does anyone know if he is putting something on in anchorage anytime soon?

Mudman,

He is doing the seminar at the SCI function this Saturday. Check out the SCI Alaska website for details. I got your PM so will talk more then.

Randy

Bullwinkle50, Randy, that year I had been told of a new Fs cabin a friend stayed at on a spring Bear hunt. i contacted Steve Harvey (widgeon pilot ) and he THOUGHT he knew where it was. Anyway, low vis and finally yep there it is. So, we unload. The cabin has a lock that's strange. We had kerosene for the stove so it was comfy till we got that note. I guess it turned out to be Munsey's cabin.

Then another time we saw tents in our favorite Deer spot in Uyak and told Steve just get us where a fresh water source will be. Unloaded and walked up the bank to find a camp spot. Huge Bear trail everywhere. Set up by fallen cottonwood tree. I had an ear infection and didn't hear my buddy unzip the tent. BOOM, what the heck. I jump out to see a sow with 2 cubs in the moonlight. Friend says "didn't you hear me say Bear ? She had her paws on the tree when I shot over her. Next morning the coleman was heating coffee when I turn and see the face of a spike Deer. Grab the 375 and shot between the eyes. Shut off the stove, drag the Deer a ways, cut it up and bag it, then made a game pole and came back for breakfast. Headed up the mountain and came down about 4Pm Game pole down, meat eaten right off the bone nothing left. Middle of the night we hear a roar, came out with flashlights and saw movement and the most hair raising noise ever. Finally got the lantern lit. This went on for quite a while. Finally we need to make noise. So friend had a Ruger #1 375 I said you shoot as I have 4 shells in my Remington 375. guess that Bear didn't like the noise and left. The next morning Munsey's guide and client came in a Boston whaler. You guys ok he asked? The client is so jazzed that WE have all these Bears and all thev'e seen are Deer. Can we swap our cabin for there tent he asked ? Not likely the guide says. Well, after more talk we decide my ear infection is getting bad, the Bears wont leave us alone we should get out. The guide got us a plane ride. First and only time I quit a hunt but glad I did as the ear got worse. Now I wear hearing aids.
    We went to Steele Davis camp I think in 1999. Great guy and good for a group to stay there. His landing craft is awesome.

Stayed for many years in a cabin at Brown's lagoon. Had well water etc, We brought visqueen and lattice to waterproof it. Also a cabin on Amook small and tight even for 2 guys. Had a fun Deer hunt. OH, the memories.

Roland,

We have to do coffee or something. I would love to get together and hear more stories and compare notes. We have probably tromped around on some of the same mud. Steele is a good resource and the Shelby D is very handy.

Randy

Bump to the top.

What is the terrain like down there in the valley of browns lagoon? Looks like it could be pretty swampy? Also looks like there is a couple good nobs at the entrance to the valley to get in and glass from. I know some of you Gus said that you have hunted the area, any advice on that specific area?

bump to top

mudman1,

Just sent you a PM with some information.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by mudman1 View Post
    What is the terrain like down there in the valley of browns lagoon? Looks like it could be pretty swampy? Also looks like there is a couple good nobs at the entrance to the valley to get in and glass from. I know some of you Gus said that you have hunted the area, any advice on that specific area?
    It is a good valley but a hike from the salt. Rolland told me it was pretty shallow and iffy to land on.

Randy

Bullwinkle I think my inbox was full I didn't get anything can you resend it to me, appreciate it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast