Thread: ATV tire set-up

Default ATV tire set-up

I sure hope this doesn't sound like a DUH! question. I have a '96 Yamaha Kodiak 400. I put a set of Mud Lite XLs on the back, size 26-10-12. Got a smoking deal on them. I need to get a set of fronts, and wondered if putting a set of 25-8-12s, same model tire, would be okay. I know that will raise up the back and/or lower the front 1". Would this really much about with handling? I don't run hard and fast. I have to admit that the 25-8-12s costing $20.00 less per tire may play a part in this thought. Thanks

mauserboy

If you have 4 wheel drive on your machine, you probably don't want to mix tire DIAMETERS, as it will mean that your front geartrain will be operating at a different speed than you rear. Therefore, if your rears are 25, I'd stick with 25s for the fronts as well.

sr12345 is right. Don't do it!!

Default tire size

Thanks for the info, I'll get some 26-9-12s for the front.

that what i have on my Big Bear 350 i love them
    never miss match tire sizes on four wheel drives of any kind

I concur with the others. If you have a different diameter tire on the front than you do on the rear and you drive in 4 wheel drive you will very quickly have a catastrophic failure of a major drivetrain component.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.