Thread: Aluminum backing plates in Anchorage

Default Aluminum backing plates in Anchorage

When I mount my new pot puller I will need some 1/4 or 3/8 inch aluminum backing plate as well as some King Starboard (or similar). Does anyone have any good sources for these materials in Anchorage?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    When I mount my new pot puller I will need some 1/4 or 3/8 inch aluminum backing plate as well as some King Starboard (or similar). Does anyone have any good sources for these materials in Anchorage?
    I'd go to Alaska Steel in Anchorage.

Home Depot or Lowes might have diamond plate, I know I bought some small 1ft square there once.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Greer also has aluminum and use 1/4 inch

You might want to check the plastics places to see if they have a suitably sized rem piece of UHMW, much cheaper than buying starboard. You might even have enough left over to make a nice cutting board.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Alaska Rubber has a cut offs bin for UHMW, the folks at Greer Tank have always been very nice about finding small pieces of aluminum for my projects. If your out in the Valley check out CAC Plastics scrap bin. If your installing on a figerglass boat make sure to seal all the holes you drill so they don't allow water into the core or plywood.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

If all else fails just google it. When I needed some last year found a place that cut exactly what I needed then they shipped them to me in a flat rate box. Saved a bunch of time over running all over Anchorage looking for it.
    I have a piece of thinner diamond plate in my storage shed that will hit the dumpster when we move. You are welcome to it if you want to cut it up and try using two layers.

Thanks all for the advice and offer.