Thread: Info for DB256

Default Info for DB256

Drew this hunt for Spring 2014, wondering if anyone has any information on the area? Searched the forum but found little.

Thanks

Tuck

Tuck helps if you give the area also I can't remember the numbers of several hunts I have been on. I also drew a kodiak spring bear in a different area so good luck on your hunt.

Understood,

Hunt area is located in Kupreanof Peninsula and Viekoda Bay area

I hunted that tag 2 years ago in the spring.

Cabin had problems and was closed last year, as I understand it. But maybe they fixed it. I flew in on seahawk, killed a smaller boar than I was looking for on the 1st day i could legally hunt. (my bad bear judging) We stayed at the cabin, which made life good. Hiked over the hill behind the cabin to glass the valley behind it and that's where I killed the bear. Didn't get any native land permits. The guy who went in before me to the cabin killed an 8ft boar at the head of the bay. Mine was slightly smaller. It's a mixture of state and federal land, with some native land tossed in.

It's a cool area, cheap flight, and blows like crazy down that bay with a NW wind. You'll want a raft/outboard. If the cabin is up and running, it sure makes life comfortable. Oil heat. I think you can book it 6 months or a year in advance (can't remember), so do a reverse countdown on your calender and be ready to book on the 1st day you can. They give out 5 or 6 tags for the area, and usually 2 or 3 hunt it. 2 guides were working the bay when I showed up, but a big blow chased them out. It honked down that bay 80+ mph.

If I could do it over again, I'd not shoot a bear the first day. I'd probably head out via raft to the state land on the Kupreanof Peninsula and look things over really well for a few days. It was my first kodiak hunt and my first brown bear hunt, so all in all it was a very good experience. Another thing to keep in mind is that the guys from Port Lions run 4 wheelers on the state land in that unit. So you'll see lots and lots of trails from the air. That is why I stuck to about the only federal land I could, as it's a big no no for them to be running on federal land.

I had all my maps on my old computer, and it crashed a few weeks ago. Sorry I couldn't help you out more.

270ti,

I really appreciate you taking the time to pass on some knowledge to a fellow outdoorsman. I'll use the information you have provided and hopefully I'll have a successful hunt.

Thanks again

Tuck

Good luck Tuck. It's a tough unit to find info for.