Thread: electric wood splitters

in the state seperated from the lower 48 by Canada

Default electric wood splitters

Contemplating purchasing an electric wood splitter to run off my generator.

Research indicates a 10 ton needs a 5000 watt generator,
    a 5 ton needs a 3000 watt generator.

Any one have any experiences with electric splitters they care to share?

Any brands to recommend, or not?

A neighbor has national brand popular with many (dr). It too is made in China, like most units available in Anchorage.

Any better places to purchase locally or on-line?

All of my wood is 12 inches long so a large splitter is not needed. Most of my heat is from coal.

Smile

I have the $300 Homelite . . can't say enough good about it. A 15" long, 15" in diameter piece of birch doesn't even slow it down.

There's another thread here somewhere on the same subject.

Thanks Marcus!
    Did do a search prior to posting but just found info on gas splitters.
    Is yours a 5 ton unit?

Thumbs up Homelite log splitter . . .

Quote Originally Posted by otternorth View Post
    Thanks Marcus!
    Did do a search prior to posting but just found info on gas splitters.
    Is yours a 5 ton unit?

otter,

Yes, it is. My brother-in-law bought one and recommended it to me. Both of us are sold on the unit, and see the link below for another satisfied customer:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-burning/page2 (scroll down the page)

This is the splitter:

Attachment 68333

Check this link for product description and more owner reviews:

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/homelit...l#.USD4h459m5Q

Ive got a 5 ton ryobi electric splitter. Have had it for 3 years with no issues. Have split probably close to 18-20 cord with it. The only drawback to the electric splitters are their speed. They are turtle slow but they will get the job done. Mine recommends nothing over 10 inches in diameter ( who follows instructions) but I have split 26'' green spruce and it popped it open no problem stuff my maul and sledge and wedge would just bounce off of. Any who still glad I got it for 1/4 of the cost of even the cheapest gas splitter. It also has a 5 or 10 year warranty that I haven't had to use thankfully but when I was doing my research everyone that had to Use it said their Customer service was outstanding and they were taken care of promptly.

Thanks for the replies.

Very helpful sharing information.

One is on the shopping list.

Thanks for the info..going to go pick one up soon.

Just watched some videos..seems like the cats meow.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Honda E2000 runs my Homelite. I have not split much wood with it yet but i've run some large birch and knotty spruce thru it with no problems.

I think the Homelite uses 15 amps

I did over a cord Saturday. 10-28"spruce. 2900W Dewalt genny. 2 people, started after 9 and at 12:30 it was stacked and covered. Having 2 people really speeds up the process! Low cycle times due to the 2 handed operating controls. With 2 people, you don't have to cycle full open before ramming the new piece. I'm going to look at a foot switch so I can go faster by myself.

The small stuff is easy. The large ones I cut 12-14" and had to make a couple passed on some before it decided to give away.

I bought a used one like they have at AIH. Almost all the bolts needed CAT green and torqued. I worry about sub zero operation due to a normal cord. It needs an arctic cord before I will use it outside. I can always use it inside after warming the building up. I have had 2 electric cords fray this winter. One on a battery charger, one on a heater. The stock black cord is worthless at sub zero.

If it is cold, you MUST warm the hydraulic fluid before operating. I am going to see if there is an alternate arctic blend hydraulic fluid.

If you have access to a welder, the ram head is too smooth. Put a couple beads on it or weld a point so it grabs the butt of the log. Won't take much.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Did buy a 5 ton Homelite splitter, hauled it out to the cabin and put it to work.
    Very pleased with the 1/2 cord test split and no problem with a 3000 watt generator and a 50 foot cord. Used several hand warmers on the oil reservoir then wrapped that with foam to get the oil viscus enough to start pumping. Can see an issue with colder temp start up. Might be a torch heater or some warm cabin time prior to working it.
    The metal frame is solid and more than enough power to split birch.
    Would recommend this product.