Thread: Soldier looking for hunting partner and any help possible

Default Soldier looking for hunting partner and any help possible

Hello

I just got stationed here in Aug last year, I did not hunt last year because of all the rules and regs. I just wanted to get as much research and learn as much as I can so I would be ready for this season. Well I have taken a lot of advice and researched and researched but still am very uncomfortable with the Alaska hunting idea. As much as I love to hunt it is diving me crazy. I was wondering if there was anyone out there that would be willing to take on a new hunting partner. I am very ready to get started this spring hunting black bear, and then everything else I can put in the Freezer.

If you are still looking for a partner in early sept and think you can get a week off, I may be interested... I don't typically do spring hunts though. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by awhx4 View Post
    Well I have taken a lot of advice and researched and researched but still am very uncomfortable with the Alaska hunting idea.
    What is it that is making you uncomfortable...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I think the biggest part is not knowing the area very well. I talk to a lot of people that say I need to go 4-6 hours north, but with supporting 5 kids I don't have time or the money to go way up there and come home empty handed. I wish I had more time to get out into the woods and scout, I got here to late last year and didn't want to be messing up anyone else who was hunting while I was out scouting around.

Some good bear hunting to be had 1-1.5 hours out of Anchorage. Read the regs, look at maps, find trails.

Success is never a guarantee, always a bonus.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I think the biggest part is not knowing the area very well. I talk to a lot of people that say I need to go 4-6 hours north, but with supporting 5 kids I don't have time or the money to go way up there and come home empty handed. I wish I had more time to get out into the woods and scout, I got here to late last year and didn't want to be messing up anyone else who was hunting while I was out scouting around.
    I'm surprised you haven't found anybody you work with that would go with you? But, you may want to just start out with a black bear hunt this spring. Really all it "can" involve is driving the road system and glassing south facing slopes. It can be very productive.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I know it's to late this year but I would encourage you to put in for a few close permits next year. Also do you archery hunt any?

No expense in walking around the woods and exploring. Bears are close to you along with moose. Do as already posted and read the regs and maps and then just get out and walk around. Bring the family, they will love the adventure.

Hunting doesn't have to break the bank. Money might give you more conviences but doesn't have too be expensive. I have known many people to get moose almost every year and they dont spend much more than gas money and food, that your gonna have to eat no matter what your doing.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

I have done it a few times with mostly good experience so time permitting I may be able to take you out for a day or two in the spring to show you a few areas that are good producers of black bears.. look me up in the spring and we'll see what happens.. In the mean time just keep reading and exploring all you can,,

Thanks for all the advice, I will continue to read the regs and map out things. I really apprecate all the advice.

Shimano 33 - I do bow hunt, I still have to take the bow certification here and I just started a couple years ago but I do love to bow hunt.

Thanks for all the advice, I will continue to read the regs and map out things. I really apprecate all the advice.

Shimano 33 - I do bow hunt, I still have to take the bow certification here and I just started a couple years ago but I do love to bow hunt.
    If you live on base or close to base I encourage you to join the Black Sheep Archery club and you can also meet other hunters their as well. I am a member there and I think it only cost $80 a year, its also 24/7 access.

I'm not sure what your schedule is like but seeings how you bow hunt the Haul Road would also be good trip to look into.