Thread: Looking for Moose hunt unit 20 info!?

Default Looking for Moose hunt unit 20 info!?

Hey guys, I got my residency last Sept and am now planning my moose hunt to fill my freezer. I was looking on going, in late Sept to very early Oct, up to Unit 20 for the registration hunts in 20A and 20B. I will be driving from Anchorage and hiking on foot. I was wondering if anyone has experience with the Yanert Controlled Use Area and/or the drainage of the East Fork of the Chena River. I have talked to F&G and know the area has good moose activity but can only tell so much from my topo maps of how accessible for foot hunts those areas are.
    Flying my dad up for the hunt from WA and want it to be a successful one.

Any help would be a huge plus...
    Thanks ALL

It is hard to plan for those regristration hunts in 20A and B because they open ( or dont open) them and set their quota based on how the general season and moose surveys go. SO just because they are listed does not mean it will happen. I would stick with the general season.

Better really watch where you are on the Chena Hot Springs road.

There are a LOT of Closed areas .

There are some moose there but if he is in the closed stuff you cant do anything about it till he walks out of it.

Also it is VERY Boggy around the east fork & if you get one down too far back from the road you will kill yourself to get him out.

If you can find a Quad to borrow or rent a good place with aLOT of trails & plenty of Moose is Fairbanks Creek off the Steese Hyway. It is a right turn on top of Cleary summit.
    & there is a road Johnson road I think it is out towards Salcha on the left that you can drive up hill for a LONG ways onto Ft Wainwright & the canyons to the right have trails that lead down into the bottoms. Lots of tree stands. & some nice bulls .

Lots of GRIZZ also.

If you have a boat or canoe the Chataniqa river makes a GREAT float trip. just arange someone to either drop you off or pick you up after you get to bridge on the Elliot Hyway.

those are a couple of close in spots.

RJ Simington

Good info guys thanks. I'll look into the closed areas by the hot springs and will map out the area that Pro was talking about.

Aren't all those reg. hunts cow hunts?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Aren't all those reg. hunts cow hunts?
    Yup, well, Antlerless and most are Resident only with a couple exceptions. He'd have to look it over closely if his Dad is planning on hunting reg hunt.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...pdfs/gmu20.pdf
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again