Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "adult" air guns

Default "adult" air guns

As potential gun legislation is being introduced and ammunition being a scarcity that may not subside any time soon I have put alot of thought into picking up an "adult" air rifle for pinking and also as a viable source to ethically take some rabbits/grouse while saving my .22 ammo. I have done some local searching at sports mans / sports authority etc and instantly became overwhelmed. Things sure have changed since my red ryder with some of these getting up to 1800 FPS. I have set my budget at $250 for picking one up and want a .177 pellet gun. Obviously the faster more high speed rifles seem to be the break action type over the pump type. Any pointers on what to look for in this price range that would do well and last for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    As potential gun legislation is being introduced and ammunition being a scarcity that may not subside any time soon I have put alot of thought into picking up an "adult" air rifle for pinking and also as a viable source to ethically take some rabbits/grouse while saving my .22 ammo. I have done some local searching at sports mans / sports authority etc and instantly became overwhelmed. Things sure have changed since my red ryder with some of these getting up to 1800 FPS. I have set my budget at $250 for picking one up and want a .177 pellet gun. Obviously the faster more high speed rifles seem to be the break action type over the pump type. Any pointers on what to look for in this price range that would do well and last for years.
    While you are searching, do yourself a favor and google "big bore air rifles". I was truly amazed and had NO idea of what's out there now. Personally I have a VERY old Benjamin 22 cal. pump that I have killed more critters with than I can count. I've got a scope on it and it's pretty darn lethal. Those new Gamo rifles do look nice. Look at Cabella's for ideas as well as I seem to remember they advertised quite a few.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

You can certainly pick up a small game capable air rifle for $250- Gamo makes a decent one, I've had a pretty nice Bejamin that was extremely accurate- there are quite a few to pick from.

I wouldn't limit myself to .177 guns though- the .22 and .25s are extremely deadly and becoming more common.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I would just get a Benjamin Blue Streak and call it good. Four pumps will take any rabbit and a few extra will take fox.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I went through the same thing as you did, including the same budget. I ended up buyin a Benjamin NP Trail in .22 caliber, very happy with it's performance.

For the money, a 22 caliber benjamin pump or a 20 cal. sheridan pump is your best bet for a small game air rifle. If you want to go with a spring piston air rifle you'll probably have to exceed your budget to get a quality one, i.e. RWS, FB, Beeman. The less expensive brands simply don't hold up and the less expensive quality air guns tend to be lower powered target rifles.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I picked up a barrel break Beeman recently for about $110 with two barrels (177 & 22) and scope. It shoots 177s at a little over 900fps and 22s at about 800 fps. The problem with the barrel break guns is a double recoil thing where they jump around a bunch when fired and this makes them hard to shoot accurately. The pump guns and the high pressure cylinder guns don't do that and are much easier to shoot accurately. Also each gun seems to be picky as to what pellet it likes. But yes, they can be quite effective small game getters and are good to keep in practice. Parts can be bought to keep the guns in top shape and running for a life time.

I started my 5-year-old on the Crosman BB gun today; she went 10 for 10 on the tin can course!
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Thumbs up Benjamin . .

I'll add my vote for the Benjamin pump . . when a kid, over 50 years ago, we used my cousin's Benjamin, after dark, to pop pheasants roosting in crab apple trees.

That air gun has been around a long, long time . . helluva testimony to its dependability.

Benjamin makes a good pump but I settled on a Gamo break action. 950 fps with a .22 pellet means I can wack things pretty far off. I need the snow to melt so I sight her in better as I just got it in December. Powerful rifle for sure. Guys on the forums claim foxes and coyotes out to 50 yards are not uncommon and rabbits to 75-90 years. We will see how she does.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thanks for the input they have a nice wooden stock Benjamin at Sportsmans for 219 cannot remember if it is a break action or a pump . I checked out the "big bore" air rifles on you tube and saw some vids of a guy knocking down 150 pound hogs in Texas with one was pretty impressive!

Beware of velocity based on PB ammo. They are lighter than normal pellets. S o the velocity will be less with standard pellets. The power and accuracy of the brake action spring guns is hard to beat.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    For the money, a 22 caliber benjamin pump or a 20 cal. sheridan pump is your best bet for a small game air rifle. If you want to go with a spring piston air rifle you'll probably have to exceed your budget to get a quality one, i.e. RWS, FB, Beeman. The less expensive brands simply don't hold up and the less expensive quality air guns tend to be lower powered target rifles.
    Those RWS are extremely nice guns......albeit a bit spendy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Thanks for the input they have a nice wooden stock Benjamin at Sportsmans for 219 cannot remember if it is a break action or a pump . I checked out the "big bore" air rifles on you tube and saw some vids of a guy knocking down 150 pound hogs in Texas with one was pretty impressive!
    It must be this one... http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...3070/cat100023 and it is the break action that 338WM speaks of above.

Pretty crazy killing hogs with an air rifle eh? I saw videos of guys killing African game with them as well......

Ive had a Sheridan .20 for years does the job but lots of pumping. also a beeman .17 1000fps killed ground squirrels out to 70 yds and a gamo .22 shot gun, killed two turkeys and a number of doves in Hawaii out to 10 yds. im looking at a sam yang big bore pcp. lots of new guns to consider lately

www.crosman.com ... Rifles PCPMarauder Rifle (.25) ... Benjamin Discovery PCP air rifle comes the revolutionary Benjamin Marauder!

Hands down the most accurate airgun I've shot. Five shots in the same hole at 30yds and whisper quiet too!

www.pyramydair.com

Take look at this site for lots of air options - gives an idea of what is out there. We have had great service from them and we shoot a lot of air rifle.

I have a break barrel RWS in .177 caliber. I love that rifle and it is extremely accurate. It was however quite expensive and not within the budget you proposed. I can't remember exactly but think I paid something like 425 for it. I also bought a gamo bout 3 years ago. Not sure if I got a lemon or what but that rifle was a total pos and accuracy was horrible and I tried 8 different pellets in it. Ended up giving it away cause I didn't want it and I couldn't ethically pass on that pos in a sale to anyone. Good luck with your choice. You are gonna love air rifle plinking and hunting.

Excellent idea! She'll like it and get used to the idea.

Just one thing, though. She looks a bit too close in terms of ricochet. Is she hits that guard rail, it could come right back. I'd want glasses on my daughter in a situation like that.

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    I started my 5-year-old on the Crosman BB gun today; she went 10 for 10 on the tin can course!

One of the best deals out there is the re-furb'ed Daisy 853 Target air rifles at CMP. (http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/airrifles.htm). I have one of them and it has been re-furb'ed to almost new. And it is a tack driver. We shoot it inside the garage on lousy weather days for some fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast