Thread: DC827 Advice/Infomation?

Default DC827 Advice/Infomation?

First off, "CONGRATULATIONS" to all permit winners and a sincere "SORRY" to all those that didn't draw this year.

My 10 year old son and I drew DC827, so needless to say we are both on cloud nine. Today I start my search for information to plan how I want to put this hunt together. I thought this forum could be a good starting source of information for this hunt.

If any of you have some insite on this hunt it would be greatly appreciated. I am pondering atv access vs. flyout, relative hunting pressure in certain areas, etc. My son and I are in good shape, but I'd like to avoid having my son and I competing with 20 year old studs like the Dalton Highway can provide. I have already looked at the 10 year harvest data and will be contacting the Area F&G people for advice as well, but we all know information from those of you that have participated in this hunt in recent years would be the most useful.

Thanks in advance for your help!

sent you a message, let me know if you want some more info.

I drew it too. I've got ideas but I'd take a PM or two trying to figure this one out. I don't want to fly in other than commercial airlines from Sitka. I wouldn't mind joining another party either for the opener. August 10. I'm handy with a knife and know how to pack. I'd like to get it done quick too. This wouldn't be my smelling the daisies trip.

On BRWNBR's advice. This is the Untit 20A permit. I'm particularly interested in road acessable areas. (Aren't we all!) I had heard rumors that the West Side of Black Rapids can hold some nice Bou. A portion of the DCUA is in this tag. Also the Yanert, Wood River, Ect....
    It's got PLENTY of great country within it's boundries. It's had a 67% sucess rate in 2011. Don't ride me about not researching. I did and I do have one really good game plan. It's just that I've got a few months to commit and I'd really enjoy to hear other options. It's alot of country in the heart of Alaska.

My wife also drew this tag. It will be her/our first Caribou (or any species hunt) here in Alaska. We have bow/rifle hunted elk for many years in Montana and hope to use some of our knowledge from past hunts for this one, but there is still much to learn. We're tossing around the idea of flying and any info on timeline would be helpful (season is from Aug 10- Sept 20). I'd like to make a reservation for flight time ASAP and will ask the charter company what they think as well. She is pretty good out to 250 yds with her Tikka .270 so she should be good as far as that goes and we're no stangers to high mtn hiking and camping. I've done a fair amount of research already on this forum and others. This is a good read if anyone is interested http://www.troutnut.com/article/42/c...highway-alaska. If anyone has any other intel they can share I'd sure appreciate it. I don't own an ATV and can't stand the **** things so I'd rather walk or fly in. My wife and I are quite fine with 8-12 miles in and out with meat. I've carried plenty of elk over hill and dale to fill the freezer. As a side note If anyone is intrested in some SW Montana intel I'm happy to pass on anyknowledge to help if possible. Thanks! Here is a nice bull from a few years back.

I'm also curious about Mountain Biking in to some of the Non-motorized areas in 20a. I suppose I'd have to double check to see if motorized and mechanised are the same under the guidelines. I did a fair amount of bike-in's in Montana's non-motorized areas and it was a great way to get in past the folks just hoofing it. Mostly for scouting but with my little trailer in tow I could do overnighters pretty far in and fast. Wayyy quieter than an ATV or horses and alot easier to get unstuck .

Quote Originally Posted by bigskyguy View Post
    I'm also curious about Mountain Biking in to some of the Non-motorized areas in 20a. I suppose I'd have to double check to see if motorized and mechanised are the same under the guidelines. I did a fair amount of bike-in's in Montana's non-motorized areas and it was a great way to get in past the folks just hoofing it. Mostly for scouting but with my little trailer in tow I could do overnighters pretty far in and fast. Wayyy quieter than an ATV or horses and alot easier to get unstuck .
    Most of the terrain is not suitable for a mountain bike. You have to cross the Tannana or the Delta river to get into the area with equipment. Here is how we cross

Default Enjoy

DSCF2879.jpgHere is a picture of the creature you seek with DC827. Enjoy
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Default Enjoy

Another viewDSCF2878.jpg
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Ah ha! Bugger was trying to hide behind the bush eh? Mr. Grayling I'm assuming that bou trying to hide behind the bush ended up in your freezer. Or did you hold out for something even larger. Did you fly/ride/hike in? And if you flew did you use Wrights or have a reccomendation? What time of year was that photo taken? I know it's different every year but it'd be nice to get an idea of when to RSVP.

Gutleap, That's quite the setup your rolling there. I think I'll shell out for a fly-in if that's what's required to get in otherwise. There are non-motorized areas of 20a so guys/gals have to be getting in there without the whole dog and pony show right? Or do the bou just not go in those areas and instead head twords the sound of ATV's and Outboards *wink, wink, nudgg, nudge*.

Most of the people going into non-motorized areas use a raft to cross river. They put in and paddle like heck and wind up on the other side several hundred yards down river. Coming out is even worse.

Thanks for the info Gutleap. Much appreciated. Looks like me and the Mrs will be taking a trip on a super cub. Don't suppose you can recommend anyone? Good luck this season.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by bigskyguy View Post
    Thanks for the info Gutleap. Much appreciated. Looks like me and the Mrs will be taking a trip on a super cub. Don't suppose you can recommend anyone? Good luck this season.

Cheers.
    Golden Eagle Outfitters http://www.alaska-highway.org/delta/...agle/index.htm

Mt. Hayes Air http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/akp...sair/index.htm

Ive done this hunt before, I used wrights air out of Fairbanks. they were the cheapest I found and would use them again.

Gutleap, what kind of boat is that? Size? looking to do something like that as well.

This thread has some great photos on it. I love that ATV ramp set up. Awesome.

Pic from last year DC827. Great hunt, did'nt shoot a monster but I wish I would have held out a LIIIIIttle longer before taking this bull. Flew in with Wright air. PM me if you want any details. You will have a great time in there!!
    Attachment 68431