Thread: Drew DS204 DCUA Motorized Sheep Hunt - Now What?

Default Drew DS204 DCUA Motorized Sheep Hunt - Now What?

I was fortunate enough to draw DS204 Motorized DCUA Sheep and since I got my results yesterday morning, I have spent the last 29 hours (about 4.5 hours sleeping the rest tossing and turning) researching DCUA on this website, ADF&G's site, the internet, and I tried calling Becky @ ADFG in Glennallen and Tom State Sheep Biologist in Anchorage to no avail. I was wondering if anyone here has personal experience with a fly-in hunt in DCUA or could make a general recommendation of an airstrip or general location. From what I have put together so far, I am liking the sounds of the Gerstle Glacier or Spur Creek areas but I am completely open to any area, as I have no personal knowledge of either area.

I know that it is a good problem to have and that I am fortunate to get to hunt this area so I want to make the most of the opportunity. I am in good shape and do not mind working to make my hunt a success. I called 40 Mile Air at 8 am on Friday but, Lief and Jake are not returning calls (at least not to me until Monday) and I hope to book something early on Monday morning. I would truly appreciate and any general thoughts or experiences you would be willing to share about the DCUA. Thanks Greg

I will probobly beat you into the Gerstle, so better look to Spur creek. JK but my brother will be flying me in to the gerstle area.

Quote Originally Posted by HWK View Post
    I will probobly beat you into the Gerstle, so better look to Spur creek. JK but my brother will be flying me in to the gerstle area.
    Best of luck to you!

I have had quite a few phone calls from the jealous friends and relitives but they are giving me some good advice. Like everyone who gets this permit I want to make the very best of it.

Do you have an ATV? Lots more options, your not stuck in one area.

You bet I could throw it on the Ferry and head over... I am definitely not opposed to hunting it by ATV, hiking in, or being drop off by a transporter just looking for a good quality hunt that will get me into ram country. Thanks for the input...

Greg, another option you could take is to borrow one of my ATVs. I've got a Polaris 550 you would be more than welcome to use if you need it.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Call Jim Cummings with Golden Eagle Outfitters in Delta. He's knows the area and best price around.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakn View Post
    Call Jim Cummings with Golden Eagle Outfitters in Delta. He's knows the area and best price around.
    Jim's one of the good guys...that's who I'd be callin.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Greg, another option you could take is to borrow one of my ATVs. I've got a Polaris 550 you would be more than welcome to use if you need it.
    Thanks A Ton Duckslayer (love that username by the way) I will see how it all shakes out put truly appreciate the offer. Thanks Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Trakn View Post
    Talked with Jim on Friday and I have heard nothing but good about their operation. I will be talking to them tomorrow as well. Thanks Trakn and Anteridge.

I will second the ATV idea. Alot more options and you can still go in as far as you want after riding. Much cheaper than a fly in and you can take more weight. Coal Mine Road is a great access point.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
    I will second the ATV idea. Alot more options and you can still go in as far as you want after riding. Much cheaper than a fly in and you can take more weight. Coal Mine Road is a great access point.
    Thanks for the input I have an Atv and it is nice to have options. From talking with the carriers sound like there are only a hand full of strips to land at and seems like no matter what there would have to multiple parties on each strip. Tentatively booked the Spur but I have to make a call soon.

Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    Probably one of the better late season walk in tags available.
    Good news, hard not knowing and having to move so quickly but, I guess it is a great problem to have. I am all booked going in on the spur now I just have to pull it off. Now just more and more research till August....

Hi all. I was fortunate enough to draw a late season DCUA sheep tag. At this point all I know is that I'll be taking in an ATV. I'm looking for any and all advice you might be willing to give me. Are there rivers that are normally too deep to be crossed with an ATV or on foot?

I'm trying to narrow down the possible areas I want to hunt and could really use some advice from people with first hand experience.

Feel free to shoot me a PM.

Go Zags!