Thread: Selawik Black Bears?

Default Selawik Black Bears?

Heading to the Selawik wildlife refuge in mid/late September for caribou with a few buddies. Anyone have any experience in that area during that time period? Wondering what the odds might be of finding a nice black bear. Thanks

That region does fall under the black bears range, but in that country, I'm pretty sure you'll run across 10 grizzly to1 blackie. But hey, it's Alaska and you might only see one bear, a blackie, and it could be a 7'-er! Ya never know.

The upper Selawik is somewhat forested and I have seen blackies there when flying over. The river itself does not have salmon runs and is not as good of Griz country as other places. The Tag river has more griz but also more blacks I think.
    Good luck on the hunt.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Theres alotta Black Bears to be had between here and Selawik, and all around Selawik country. If your looking for the only meats better than Caribou, its an August/Sept blue berry fed Black out of the mountains around here.

Usually there folks catching alotta Caribou at that timma year along the rivers, and will leave alotta 'baits' of antlerd heads and gut piles alongside the rivers, but the Bears there are mostly a bit fishy.

As well, getting to somewhere along the water and then hikeing up creeks can be productive, as can glassing from up high.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Appreciate the input. Thanks!