Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Draw permit interesting check

Default Draw permit interesting check

So I randomly looked up one of the permit winners (he won two permits) in Alaska court view and he has a 2009 conviction for fail to salvage meat. Just seems wrong, he wins two permits and I did not win anything. Oh well. I will still make another drawing permit donation next year. Although if I had saved the money from years of applying it would have paid for a new rifle and then some.

Steve

Dude I feel you, it sucks not to draw. If the guy has a conviction for fail to salvage according to the law he has probably paid for his crimes. While I donít agree thatís the right thing, I donít think that guy should never be able to draw a tag again because he made a mistake he should have never made in the first place. Itís a draw, so it I win itís a bonus, if not thatís okay because the $$$ go to fund game management for the state. I donít mind spending $ every year to fund better management of the animals I love to pursue. I think of it as a lottery ticket, I donít count on it but somebodyís got to win. Every year people get butt hurt when they donít draw, it sucks Iím with you. Buddy's family drew tok & delta sheep and itís their first year applying. I have put in for the Etolin Elk hunt since I got here with a 1 in 5 change of drawing and I cant pull it out for some reason. Even the hunters who donít go on the hunt because they realize how hard it is, Iím stuck just wishing for the opportunity. The one thing that kills me on draw is when people actually win AMAZING draws and then dont go. I have known 3 people in the past to turn down Tok & Delta sheep, & seward goats hunts because of other vactations or just didnt want to put forth the effort to go..... to me that's WRONG. Just like Etolin if your not prepared to actually go on the hunt....THEN DONT APPLYÖ.. Luck of the draw.... Literally.

Quote Originally Posted by doogiehauz View Post
    Dude I feel you, it sucks not to draw. If the guy has a conviction for fail to salvage according to the law he has probably paid for his crimes. While I donít agree thatís the right thing, I donít think that guy should never be able to draw a tag again because he made a mistake he should have never made in the first place. Itís a draw, so it I win itís a bonus, if not thatís okay because the $$$ go to fund game management for the state. I donít mind spending $ every year to fund better management of the animals I love to pursue. I think of it as a lottery ticket, I donít count on it but somebodyís got to win. Every year people get butt hurt when they donít draw, it sucks Iím with you. Buddy's family drew tok & delta sheep and itís their first year applying. I have put in for the Etolin Elk hunt since I got here with a 1 in 5 change of drawing and I cant pull it out for some reason. Even the hunters who donít go on the hunt because they realize how hard it is, Iím stuck just wishing for the opportunity. The one thing that kills me on draw is when people actually when AMAZING draws and then dont go. I have known 3 people in the past to turn down Tok & Delta sheep, & seward goats hunts because of other vactations or just didnt want to put forth the effort to go..... to me that's WRONG. Just like Etolin if your not prepared to actually go on the hunt....THEN DONT APPLYÖ.. Luck of the draw.... Literally.
    Points to you. well stated.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Dude I feel you, it sucks not to draw. If the guy has a conviction for fail to salvage according to the law he has probably paid for his crimes. While I donít agree thatís the right thing, I donít think that guy should never be able to draw a tag again because he made a mistake he should have never made in the first place.
    Hopefully that's the case.....he's paid for his mistake. We all make mistakes and luckily society feels that most of us don't have to pay for them for the rest of our lives. I can understand how alaskariverguy feels for sure.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Write a proposal. Seems one could make a reasonable argument for a change. Unless the judge orders it in sentencing, there's no issue today.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Randomly looked up? Would this be considered stalking?

Lottery defined............

Quote Originally Posted by fkroosher View Post
    Randomly looked up? Would this be considered stalking?

Lottery defined............
    How is that stalking? If that's the case your response is uber stalking as I made no contact with the person and never even mentioned his name

Maybe there should be a temporary ban on applying for permits if you don't follow the rules. Those of us that follow them should get bonus points or an advantage. Maybe five year ban on applying for permits with an game violation conviction.

Steve

I can see why you'd be proud of this thread

Dear Riverguy, your name was not drawn.
    That is all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I saw on the winners list where a person I know had a brown bear tag 2 years ago and killed a bear and now has another permit for same specie. I think that should be one reason to disqualify the whole application.

DieNqvrs, there are plenty of areas where you can get a brown bear every year. Were both of his tags in areas with further restrictions?

Yeah every 4

You Sir have way to much time on your hands to just be randomly selecting people in court-view from a hunt list to see if they have committed any crimes. Sounds like you are looking to find something to complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    You Sir have way to much time on your hands to just be randomly selecting people in court-view from a hunt list to see if they have committed any crimes. Sounds like you are looking to find something to complain about.
    Apparently you have the same amount of free time!

Maybe a poll to see if people think that the draw application process should have more restrictors or perhaps other changes should. Nothing wrong with a little discussion.

Could the system be better? YES, but no matter what, not everyone will be happy in the end.

My two cents

1. would be to eliminate a person from the spices the following year if drawn.

2. Or go to the Bison system.

Either way if you don't submit a proposal Fish and game it will never fix it.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by alaskariverguy View Post
    Apparently you have the same amount of free time!

Maybe a poll to see if people think that the draw application process should have more restrictors or perhaps other changes should. Nothing wrong with a little discussion.
    your right.there's nothing wrong with discussing the problems the system has. In years past when I have not drawn a tag, that was the end of it. I moved on and have always found away to have my freezers full. Lots of harvest or registration areas to hunt if your a resident. Life's to short to dwell.

Even the hunters who donít go on the hunt because they realize how hard it is, Iím stuck just wishing for the opportunity. The one thing that kills me on draw is when people actually win AMAZING draws and then dont go. I have known 3 people in the past to turn down Tok & Delta sheep, & seward goats hunts because of other vactations or just didnt want to put forth the effort to go..... to me that's WRONG. Just like Etolin if your not prepared to actually go on the hunt....THEN DONT APPLYÖ.. Luck of the draw.... Literally.
    Those people are figured into the system. That is why there are so many more permits available than the number of animals they want taken from any population. Based on historical data, they know pretty closely how many of the winners will not hunt in the first place, and then what the success rate usually is of those who do. This means they may offer 100 permits knowing they only want 20 animals taken, figuring say 40% won't hunt, and of those who do, there is only a 1/3 success rate. If those people who didn't hunt didn't apply, they would have to reduce the number of permits given out and thus your odds of drawing wouldn't improve any.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Those people are figured into the system. That is why there are so many more permits available than the number of animals they want taken from any population. Based on historical data, they know pretty closely how many of the winners will not hunt in the first place, and then what the success rate usually is of those who do. This means they may offer 100 permits knowing they only want 20 animals taken, figuring say 40% won't hunt, and of those who do, there is only a 1/3 success rate. If those people who didn't hunt didn't apply, they would have to reduce the number of permits given out and thus your odds of drawing wouldn't improve any.
    Hey, knock it off with the facts and statistics... it just muddies the rhetorical waters....

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Could the system be better? YES, but no matter what, not everyone will be happy in the end.

My two cents

1. would be to eliminate a person from the spices the following year if drawn.

2. Or go to the Bison system.

Either way if you don't submit a proposal Fish and game it will never fix it.
    What's the bison system? Points based?

Quote Originally Posted by FullFreezer View Post
    your right.there's nothing wrong with discussing the problems the system has. In years past when I have not drawn a tag, that was the end of it. I moved on and have always found away to have my freezers full. Lots of harvest or registration areas to hunt if your a resident. Life's to short to dwell.
    How is looking up someone else's past just "discussing the issues"?

How about--I am virtuous, therefore I should get a tag.

The word "deserve" is not mentioned in the definition of a lottery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast