Thread: Db208

Default Db208

Well my buddy and I both drew bear in deadman bay just looking for any and all info I can get about the area. Planing on spending 14 to 19 days and going for goat too.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckkiller View Post
    Well my buddy and I both drew bear in deadman bay just looking for any and all info I can get about the area. Planing on spending 14 to 19 days and going for goat too.
    Never hunted deadman but guided on the other side of it and there are some really good bears in there so just be patient and have fun... Best of luck to you..

One of my favorite books,Monarch of Deadmans Bay.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Mine too Will, I've always wanted to put in for that area because of that book.

Default Deadman bay

Since you asked:
    Deadman Bay is a 15 mile long fjord like bay that is a reach of Alitak Bay at the south end of Kodaik Is. The waters are very deep and it is rimmed with steep mountians on all side most sumitting around 2000' within a mile of the shore line.
    At the head of the bay there are several highly productive salmon steams that mostly produce pink salmon and a few late run silvers. There are shallow (dangerous)shoals and bars extending seaward around the stream mouths.
    The eastside of the Bay is steep and rugged with few good camping or beach landing areas . However the east side does show a lot of fall bears as there are very good blueberry medows on the slopes of the outer area. Goats are usually over the ridge on this side of the bay.

Ivor Cove about half way in the Bay offers good protection and acess for bear and goat but unfortunatly the entire beach access to the cove is now private property. From Ivor Cove north there are 2 deep valleys and good beach access and camping areas in most weather. The valleys are fairly open and good for spotting from elevations above the alder thickets.

Alpine Cove at the head of the bay is very protected and senic and has spotty opertunity at the head of the cove. Lots of alder thicket and cotton woods. There is A private property there that offers accomdations and Transporter service.
    Atthe center of the head of the bay is where the guide camp is. He usally hunts the large drainages to the north and also takes clients by boat to other areas.

Going out the west side from the head of the bay about a mile is a USFS public use cabin that you can rent for $45 per day. If you stay there bring lots of heating oil and known how to bleed an airlocked oil line. http://www.fws.gov/refuge/puc_deadmanbay.html
    You will need an inflatable and kicker. you can rent them here or bring your own http://www.manttus.com/37345/Camping...iak-Kamps.html.
    There are fairly good campsites on the west side of the bay out as far as Horse Marine pass. The lake and drainage in the pass are within the boundry and some big bears have came from around the lake.
    Goat hunting has been pretty good on the mountains on both sides of the bay. The deer population is way low from winter kill and over hunting around the cabins and good camp sites.

Be prepared for several wet windy cold or snowy days. I know I live there.
    Pictures are the flats at the head of bay and looking south out of the bay. Good ducks in the flats. PM me for additional
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks a lot for the info we really appreciate it! We are really excited about this tag and the fact that we can hunt goats too! I'm sure you will be hearing more from us as our long planning process goes on. Once again thank you for your help its very appreciated!

You can't get better information than what anonymous1 just gave you. Here's some more pics from the other side of the bay.

The bear guide's camp is on the right.

Alpine Cove is in the center and the transporter's place is on the far right

anonymous1 Thank you for the info. It is a ton of help. Duckkiller and I have a lot of planning to do in the next few months. We are very excited for this fall. This is a trip of a lifetime and we want to try to have all the logistics planned out (the best that we can). I know things come up but the best we can do is plan. We are bringing a Jet ranger with a 30 hp jet. I think that should get us around the streams/rivers pretty good. I sent a PM to a guy that is going in this spring. I hope that he will be able to help with any info that will make the trip a little more smooth. I went into Frazier lake a few years back with another friend hunting bear. The cabin was very nice. I kind of have an idea about what to bring and hope to expect. That's a bummer about the deer. I hope that with the mild winter this year they will be able to bounce back. Duckkiller and I are hoping to fill our bear tags along with a registration goat tag. Maybe wishful thinking but so was getting this tag. I hope our luck follows us through the hunt.

Thanks

bump back to the top of the forum

Bear,

Not trying to butt in, but was your "other" side east or west...I drew DB209 the Dog Salmon/Grayback mtn area...if I could pick your brain that would be great!

Duckkiller

I drew the other side of the penninsula, DB209 I am also planning on roughly 3 weeks along with a goat combo...if it's a possibility we could look at coordinating the charter and off set some of the costs...just throwing it out there to consider.

I drew a spring 2014 bear tag in Deadmans Bay. I was looking into renting the public use cabin. I would appreciate any knowledge you can give me after your trip. Good luck.

Scorned,
    I hunted DB209 last year I'd be more than happy to share all the information I've got. Shoot me an email at rsftough@yahoo.com I'll fill you in on all that I found.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorned View Post
    Duckkiller

I drew the other side of the penninsula, DB209 I am also planning on roughly 3 weeks along with a goat combo...if it's a possibility we could look at coordinating the charter and off set some of the costs...just throwing it out there to consider.

Do you know how I would get ahold of the person that owns the cabin in alpine cove? We are looking to go from Oct. 25th-nov.7. And are interested in that cabin. Thank you for the help.

Well its been many years since I drew my bear tag in Deadman but after all these years it still stands out as one of the best hunts I did in all my years in Ak. We spent 10 days in that great area and got a great bear, small but just what I wanted, several nice bucks, a bunch of crab and some late run salmon. With a boat you can hunt both sides of the bay and if open do some great crabbing and fishing. In 10 days we saw 14 bears and I finally took a seven and a half foot sow of a great lite color.I saw a couple of larger bears in the 8 to 9 foot range but did not have the place to hang one that big.Always said if given the chance again I would go back there in a heartbeat. Good luck, Ron.

I've hunted blacktails out of Deadman's Bay, with Tom Kierstien- guide there at head of Bay, and it is too unbelievable for mere words. Sceniery, bears, ducks, goats, deer, salmon, extreme tides, and lots of area to glass and stalk in.

You will enjoy the hunt, even if you don't tag.

Chris

akgun&ammo

Would you happen to have a contact for Tom Kierstien? I would like to get a hold of him and chat. I know he is out there to make some money and to show his clients a good time. Both Duckkiller and myself don't want to step on anyone's toes. We want this trip to be the trip of a lifetime and the last thing we want is to be rubbing shoulders the wrong way with anyone in the area hunting bears. You can PM me with the info.

Thanks

TomKirstein@ak.net

Tom Kirstein
    Alaska Adventures Unlimited
    P.O. Box 83808
    Fairbanks, Alaska 99708
    Phone:907-455-6117
    Fax: 455-6120
    Cell: 388-8667

Couldn't get PM to work.....

Thanks akgun&ammo for the info. I think he might be out guiding now. My phone call's go straight to voice mail. We are still trying to get a hold of Rick Metzger if anyone knows his contact info.