Thread: New Spotting Scope???

Default New Spotting Scope???

I am looking for a new spotting scope. I know that there are tons of reviews and advice on the "top 3" brands but to be frank they are way out of my price range. Does anyone have reviews on Hawke, Vanguard, Vortex or Minox? I would like to get a good one for under $1K that is clear and reliable.

I had a Minox for a year. Glass was decent, but design and built quality were marginal at best. The third time I sent it back for warranty work I told them to keep it.

Customer service was good, but warranty work was done in Germany, so turn around time was SLOW....

In that price range I like the Pentax PF-65ED II or the Nikon Fieldscope 13-30x50mm ED.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

You should look into zen-ray optics. I hear their great, but I have no personal experience with them.

+1 for the Pentax. I had one for two weeks and sent back due to faulty eyepiece (wasn't zooming) but the optics were way clearer and brighter than the $1500 Kowa set up I ordered. I ended up buying a used swaro off Ebay wayyy too late one night but I prob. should have just kept the Pentax and bought a rifle instead...

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    In that price range I like the Pentax PF-65ED II or the Nikon Fieldscope 13-30x50mm ED.
    Just picked up the Nikon Fieldscope 13-30x50 and it's frankly amazing for how small the objective lens is. I can imagine that the Pentax, with 65mm objective, is better with low light and maybe just better overall. I was looking for a great spotter for under $1000 that was light and small and am very pleased.