Thread: Drew a permit for moose on thr gulkana

Default Drew a permit for moose on thr gulkana

Was wondering if anyone has done this trip for moose. DM 333 We are going to scout it this year during king season, but I would appreciate any info on populations, where to look. Thanks for your time.

That is my back yard so what do you need to know?

Walt

I've only floated the river twice and have only seen 1 moose. It was a big bull though. He was submerged above the shoulder and eating grass off the bottom like a hippo. That was one of the coolest things I've seen from a raft.

dayharbor,

I drew a Caribou tag (DC480) for the other side of the Galkana's West Fork. That river divides our two hunting areas, and I was looking for ways to access the area by boat. Maybe someone like Walt could help us both out?

I've read that jet boats are allowed to run up from Sourdough to the confluence of the Gulkana and the West Fork. But, NOT further upstream on the Gulkana, because that's where all the rafters are floating down from Paxson Lake. What about running a jet boat further upstream on the West Fork? dayharbor & I could both get alot deeper into our two hunting areas if that's allowed?

Thanx, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Thank you for your response Walt. I was wondering about moose populations in that area. This will be our third moose float hunt and even though we've enjoyed each 1 it would be nice to see a moose this year. Any word on how busy the upper float is during the June 20th week. We were thinking of checking out the area and doing a bit of King fishing during that time.

We are going to float from Paxon Lake to sourdough. Seems like the best way to get into the area.

Were are you putting in and taking out? Raft or Jet boat?

We are putting in on paxon lake and taking out at sourdough. We have a aire raft fit frame. Id be open to any suggestions though. Was looking at the middle fork of the gulkana but that last mile long portage looks bit rough with a raft, and the water a bit skinny.

You can jet up the west fork if you are experienced and pat attention or float down the same. I know a friend who had done 2 moose hunts up there successfully. Takes time and the ability to get in there.

If your going down the other side from Paxon to Sourdough the lower section may be your most productive below the west fork.
    Walt
    northwest alaska back country rentals
    Float hunts and drop camps-Kotz