Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: REWARD ($2500.00) Hunters looking for information.

Default REWARD ($2500.00) Hunters looking for information.

Good afternoon everyone. I hope that "Draw Result Day" treated you well. I figured today was a great day to place a REWARD post here as I know many of you would be sharing your results with the rest of us.

This past fall, A good friend and I were on a float hunt in the Tok/Delta Jct. area. Most all of you know that the weather turned to crap and the rivers began to rise, rather quickly (Overnight in our case).

Long story, somewhat, short: My hunting partner and I, upon waking up, discovered our rafts upside down on the opposite side of the river from where we had camped and the river to be +/- 3 feet higher than when we went to sleep. Not good. Thankfully, of the little gear we had ashore (since we were on our way out), I had my sat phone. The Alaska State Troopers had to haul us out via helicopter. It sucked seeing our rafts with lots of $$$ worth of gear bobbing in the river as we flew away.

Fastforward a couple weeks: A pilot friend does a flyover and sees that our rafts are on dry ground. One was deflated but they were both rite side up and it appeared that most of our dry bags, etc. were still lashed, carabinered in/or to them. Good News!

Fastforward again: After a few unsuccessful attempts to retrieve said rafts and gear by pilot (due to not being able to wade across river just yet) I called a friend of a friend in Tok. I was directed to a nice (or so I beleived) young man with an airboat. He said he would help. He called back and said he was unable to get into the river. I thanked him and then prayed my pilot friend would be the savior. (I really wanted our two rafts and my Leica Ultravids back!)

One more fastforward: Now, about the third week of October I get a phone call from my pilot friend. BAD NEWS. Your rafts and gear are gone...Furthermore, three other individuals had ATV/UTV's down river several miles from where our rafts were stranded. All three ATV/UTV's were also gone.

Obviously, Troopers are/have been investigating this matter. I will not share all the details of said investigation but, fact is, nothing has yet been recovered. I am hopeful that the AK outdoor forum community will provide a good lead for AST. That said, I am confident that the suspects are from, in and around Tok. Most likely, they have airboats or access to them.

Myself and the other victims would love to get our stuff back. Even one or two items would make us happy at this point. You all know how expensive rafts/ATV'/ Leicas/Etc. are...

So. As of right now, my fellow victims and I are offering a $2500.00 REWARD for information that results the return of our items / information leading the arrest of suspects/thieves.

The following are some of the stolen items we are asking you to keep an eye out for:

1 - 2010 550 Polaris Sportsman
    1 - 2007 Polaris Ranger
    1 - 2012 Polaris Ranger Crew
    1 - Pair Leica Ultravid 10x42 binos
    2 - Pro-Pioneer Rafts
    1 - Ruger 30-06 (Stainless w/the old synthetic Ruger skeleton stock)
    1 - Kifaru Tipi (Yellow in color / Not many of those out there)
    1- Husqvarna 359 Chainsaw
    Piles of assorted gear: dry bags/floating gun cases/bear proof food kegs / come-along /etc...(Generic stuff) but lots with the name Jay Sjogren and/or Kim Wannamaker written in or on it.

IF you have any leads, PLEASE PM me. Also feel free to contact Tok or Delta Jct. Troopers.

We thank you in advance for keeping an eye open and an ear low to the ground. I am certainly hopeful some of the "big" items find their way back home. It stinks that there are people out there who take things that belong to others without remorse...

Stay safe out there!
    Last edited by Snyd; 03-12-2013 at 11:55.

Man, that sucks! I really hope that you get your stuff back. Alaska is a small community, someone saw or knows something, I hope they do the right thing.

I heard the story a couple months ago. Everyone is aware of the airboat crowd in Tok and how they think that is "their" river. Truly unfortunate the troopers can't just go and resolve this issue when everyone knows who it is I really hope this thread will help you folks. Myself and others will indeed keep our ears open for any leads to help you.

yep..cant hurt posting it for sure...great forum and a great community as well. Someone will see that Tipi for sure... Is your name on it or was it?

Hope you get some back for sure..
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Maybe they don't think they stole anything. Seems to me they removed a bunch of litter a couple groups of cheechakos left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by chugachjed View Post
    Maybe they don't think they stole anything. Seems to me they removed a bunch of litter a couple groups of cheechakos left behind.
    Wow, is that how you would justify something like that? I'm sure it is common for people to "leave behind" thousands of dollars of hunting equipment in adverse weather with no intent to retrieve it.

Since when is a list of gear and machines that big considered litter? And if you knew who it belonged to you would keep your trap shut. Theft is theft. Period.

I haven't been through that area in years, wasn't me. Don't have much sympathy for folks not being prepared. I've found snowmachines several times randomly, usually in western Alaska. Plus I've found probably 20-25 abandoned caches with boats and outboards and tents etc. It's not that uncommon to find valuable items left to rot in the wilds of Alaska. I've never removed anything but somebody should, I know of at least 5 caches on the Innoko that I saw year after year falling apart and trashing the landscape.

Sucks that you lost your gear, hope whoever SALVAGED it returns it. Either way it's a learning experience.

Guess this is the new generation way of thinking. Scares me to death every time I leave my ATV parked to hike back into the mountains for a week knowing some jackass my "salvage" may "abandoned" rig. Same type of folks who will "scavenge" gear from my pickup parked at the road after breaking the window.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Guess this is the new generation way of thinking. Scares me to death every time I leave my ATV parked to hike back into the mountains for a week knowing some jackass my "salvage" may "abandoned" rig. Same type of folks who will "scavenge" gear from my pickup parked at the road after breaking the window.
    Thats exactly why they make trail cameras. I cant wait to catch someone like the above mentioned breaking into or stealing my stuff.... Karma

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    Thats exactly why they make trail cameras. I cant wait to catch someone like the above mentioned breaking into or stealing my stuff.
    That is a great idea... I am gonna have to pick one up for that very reason...

KenaiJay I sure do hope you get your stuff back or at the very least they find the scum that are responsible...

What a beautiful piece of sunshine you are on humanity, and a reminder that humans are the only life forms that protect the bottom of their gene pool.

I haven't been through that area in years, wasn't me. Don't have much sympathy for folks not being prepared. I've found snowmachines several times randomly, usually in western Alaska. Plus I've found probably 20-25 abandoned caches with boats and outboards and tents etc. It's not that uncommon to find valuable items left to rot in the wilds of Alaska. I've never removed anything but somebody should, I know of at least 5 caches on the Innoko that I saw year after year falling apart and trashing the landscape.

Sucks that you lost your gear, hope whoever SALVAGED it returns it. Either way it's a learning experience.
    Salvage...Definition
    To save (discarded or damaged material) for further use.

Stealing...Definition
    To take (the property of another or others) without permission or right.

Sounds like stealing to me.

That's the second indication that you are either unaware of the law or just don't care. This situation involves possible first degree theft (a felony) and the other involved shooting from a roadway (a violation of the hunting regulations). Just making it clear.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by PacWestFishTaxidermy View Post
    What a beautiful piece of sunshine you are on humanity, and a reminder that humans are the only life forms that protect the bottom of their gene pool.
    You're right that's why we use taxpayer dollars to rescue people who don't know how to secure their boats. I never advocated taking anything. I simply said that perhaps whoever recovered it thought it was abandoned or had washed away from somebody and it was lost. You guys are sure quick to fluff some guy who failed to be prepared and lost his gear.

I've never committed a game violation in my years guiding hunting and fishing and don't plan to.

Here's another definition of salvage: Recovering or saving abandoned, condemned, damaged, deteriorated, discarded, incomplete, obsoleted, or worn property for recycling, refabrication, restoration, reuse, or scrapping.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    That's the second indication that you are either unaware of the law or just don't care. This situation involves possible first degree theft (a felony) and the other involved shooting from a roadway (a violation of the hunting regulations). Just making it clear.

-Mike
    Where I hunt there aren't any roads so that's not a rule that I've ever needed to pay much attention to. And I never advocated taking anything, I simply posed an alternate viewpoint. Sorry to offend your delicate sensibilities.

Assistant guide. And most of the guides I know are very different from one another we're not a monolithic group. I don't vote republican or go to church either. Or call people names like some do around here.

It's sad that this thread has come to this... Isn't there a rule bringing politics and religion into conversations on the forum? Good luck on your search KenaiJay!

After years of reading the acts of kindness, generosity, bravery and other types of outstanding behavior from the outdoorsmen and women of Alaska, I am disappointed that the finder of said goods did not go above and beyond to locate the true owner. It is a land where the strong and adventurous thrive. Alaska is a place where you may need others from time to time for survival or a helping hand but most “have that covered.” It should not be like some areas of the lower 48 where your stuff “disappears” on a regular basis.

Step up, be a Good Samaritan and get their belongings back to them. Your “salvage” or “theft” was not effortless, nor was it a lone individual who walked upon a cache of supplies. Several trips, fuel purchased and your comings and goings were noticed by a few others. It will only be a matter of time before those who know how you acquired your new stuff will eventually reveal the secret they’ve concealed. The guilt of knowing will be too much for any good Alaskan to hide.

If you have not already done so, I would post an ad on Craigslist. It will reach more folks and may give you a lead. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast