Thread: WOW!! She sure is pretty!

Talking WOW!! She sure is pretty!

300WBY 240gr Woodleigh Protect Point - If it will only shoot like it looks???

will see tomorrow if I can get the following

2750 zeroed at 3" high at 100, 2.4 high at 200, 0.0 at 245, -4.89 at 300,

will be trying the following powders
    IMR7828
    RL-25
    Norma MRP

I know there is RL-22 and H1000 and a few others but do not at the time have them.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Hope it works out...

Heavy bullets are always a good way to go!!!

jedi

I'm just curious, if you already have an '06 and were going to buy something with a little more umph... then why didn't you step up to the .340 Wtby? I realize you wanted to load from 150 to 240 gr bullets but if you used the '06 for the smaller stuff and the .340 for the bigger stuff, in my mind that would have been a better route to take. I'm sure you have your reasons though. I love the .300 Wtby by the way, it's my "go to" rifle at the present... but I was just wondering!

- Clint

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacajun View Post
    I'm just curious, if you already have an '06 and were going to buy something with a little more umph... then why didn't you step up to the .340 Wtby? I realize you wanted to load from 150 to 240 gr bullets but if you used the '06 for the smaller stuff and the .340 for the bigger stuff, in my mind that would have been a better route to take. I'm sure you have your reasons though. I love the .300 Wtby by the way, it's my "go to" rifle at the present... but I was just wondering!

- Clint
    Yes it makes more since to go to a 340WBY and it is an awesome no doubt knockem down criter cartridge, but only two reasons which have nothing to do with the greatness of the 340WBY. 1. I have loved the 300WBY since I was young man and have own one in some form since 1985 and outside the 30-06 being my favorite cartridge from many reasons the 300WBY is my second choice. 2. I really don't want the recoil of the 340WBY since I like to shoot a lot at the range and it is a real cannon and has always been more than I need, just to specialized of a rifle for all the different hunting I do. These are the only reasons.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Yes it makes more since to go to a 340WBY and it is an awesome no doubt knockem down criter cartridge, but only two reasons which have nothing to do with the greatness of the 340WBY. 1. I have loved the 300WBY since I was young man and have own one in some form since 1985 and outside the 30-06 being my favorite cartridge from many reasons the 300WBY is my second choice. 2. I really don't want the recoil of the 340WBY since I like to shoot a lot at the range and it is a real cannon and has always been more than I need, just to specialized of a rifle for all the different hunting I do. These are the only reasons.
    Well thats cool, I can respect your decision on the .300 Wtby.

I was under the impression that the .340 Wtby didn't kick much more than the .300 Wtby since it is the same case only necked up. It would stand to reason that it would kick harder with the heavier bullets but you are shooting 240's out of the .300. Apparently there are other factors involved such as pressure? I always thought that a 200 gr bullet leaving the end of a barrel at say 2900 fps would kick the same if it was a .25 cal, .30 cal, .33 cal, or a .35 cal.... same weight/same speed/same kick... Is this wrong?

I'm not trying to start anything I am genuinly curious and obviously don't know for sure... someone please explain! Sorry for highjacking your thread.

- Clint

Well thats cool, I can respect your decision on the .300 Wtby.

I was under the impression that the .340 Wtby didn't kick much more than the .300 Wtby since it is the same case only necked up. It would stand to reason that it would kick harder with the heavier bullets but you are shooting 240's out of the .300. Apparently there are other factors involved such as pressure? I always thought that a 200 gr bullet leaving the end of a barrel at say 2900 fps would kick the same if it was a .25 cal, .30 cal, .33 cal, or a .35 cal.... same weight/same speed/same kick... Is this wrong?

I'm not trying to start anything I am genuinly curious and obviously don't know for sure... someone please explain!

- Clint
    yes you are right but I am using a muzzle brake to less the recoil of the heavier bullets when I use them and it will be a real plus on the light bullets when I hunt white tail across bean fields or canyons making long shots.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

BTW I like your Avatar....

You gonna share some of that 240 gr load data?

- Clint

I'm not trying to start anything I am genuinly curious and obviously don't know for sure... someone please explain! Sorry for highjacking your thread.

- Clint
    Well, sort of.
    Does the 416 Remington and the 416 Rigby kick the same with their 400 grains @ 2400 fps? If both cases were the same size and had the same quantity of the same powder and both launched the same weight bullet at the same velocity from the same weight rifle with the same barrel length, they will have the same recoil. We may or may not be able to tell any difference at the shoulder, but it will be slightly different.

Some will ask how barrel length enters the equation...it has an effect on the exit pressure and velocity of the gasses, which are a major part of recoil.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

BTW I like your Avatar....

You gonna share some of that 240 gr load data?

- Clint
    absolutely if it all works like it think it will and would be beneficial and effective.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Well, sort of.
    Does the 416 Remington and the 416 Rigby kick the same with their 400 grains @ 2400 fps? If both cases were the same size and had the same quantity of the same powder and both launched the same weight bullet at the same velocity from the same weight rifle with the same barrel length, they will have the same recoil. We may or may not be able to tell any difference at the shoulder, but it will be slightly different.

Some will ask how barrel length enters the equation...it has an effect on the exit pressure and velocity of the gasses, which are a major part of recoil.
    Your last statment on barrel length is so correct and most don't even know that or put that into the equation.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Your last statment on barrel length is so correct and most don't even know that or put that into the equation.
    Gentlemen,

It isn't so much the pressure, but the mass of the gases escaping. A good rule-of-thumb is 5200 fps for the gas velocity, taken from Alphin. If we really must calculate the exact gas velocities we could use Schlieren photography, but is it necessary when the exact velocities may result in only a fraction of ft/lb positive or negative from the rule-of-thumb?

Default dwell time

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

Good answer murphy...I just wanna change a slight thing if I can...

..different barrel lengths mean different dwell times (how long the recoil pulse lasts)..gas velocity is set as to burn rate...same powder=same rate regardless of barrel length(within reason)...although shorter lengths will be less effective at converting gasses to projectile speed.

....the air in the bore that is present during firing has to be added as weight to the bullet (bore volume) thus recoil....this becomes very apparent when doing underwater firing....yes, I have done some wild testing.

jedi
    Last edited by null20071; 05-09-2007 at 17:27.