Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deployed soldiers need reading material!

Default Deployed soldiers need reading material!

I have a couple of friends who are currently in Afghanistan. I asked them if I could send something, and they both want "Hunt Alaska" and "Fish Alaska" magazines. So I am going to collect as many back issues as I can to send them. If any of you have back - issues you're willing to part with, let me know. I'd like to get the box in the mail ASAP.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Contact them directly and I bet they would donate you back issues for nothing.
    info@fishalaskamagazine.com
    fishalaska@acsalaska.net

Semper FI bro!
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

If one of them can see their way to do this, please post up the name of the Magazine and a link maybe too. I'd be enough to make me go look, to see if I wanted to subscribe. Hope you succeed.

I've got Field and Stream and Outdoor Life if you want them.

I have years of back issues of Fish Alaska that are just collecting dust. You're welcome to them. I will be gone for the weekend, but will be back on Monday night. If you happen to be coming to the forum get-together at Pizza Man next Tuesday, I could bring them then.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I have years of back issues of Fish Alaska that are just collecting dust. You're welcome to them. I will be gone for the weekend, but will be back on Monday night. If you happen to be coming to the forum get-together at Pizza Man next Tuesday, I could bring them then.
    Brian, I'm not coming to the Pizza Man gathering (pregnant wife needs me home as much as possible.), but I have a college course in Eagle River on Saturdays from 1:00 PM til 3:50 PM. This coming Saturday is out, since we have a class at UAA in Anchorage all day. I'm still waiting for a mail order gift for one of my friends though, so maybe we could meet next weekend? I could go to class early, or stay late - whatever works best for you.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I'll try to let you know what my status will be next weekend. My wife and two boys are out of town for the next week and a half, so I'm getting out as much as possible. I probably won't be in town on Saturday, but I may be heading out to the Valley sometime next week to drop off some skulls to get cleaned. Either way, I'll be sure to get these to you. If I need to make a trip out to do so, I'm glad to do that.

In the meantime, I'm going to copy this thread into the hunting and fishing forums. There are a lot more sets of eyes there, so hopefully we can gather quite the pile of magazines for these men.

While I have no "Alaska" mags, I'll donate a hand full of mags of their choice.

Guns n ammo
    Motorcycle mags

Whatever. Give me a few titles and I'll make it happen.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Brian, I'm in Eagle River. If it's easier, I can get them from you and AKSoldier can get them from me on Saturday. I don't have the magazines, but willing to help out where I can
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

AKsoldier,

PM sent...

Alright Grizz, I'll get in touch with you at some point next week.

When shipping ask about book rate through the post office. That stuff gets heavy quick and if they will let you send it book rate it will ship slower but costs much less.

You can get "APO" only flat rate boxes from the post office as well.

I've got a stack of Salmon Trout and Steelhead I could send up in a flat rate box if you are waiting till next weekend?

Ive just received my first hunt alaska mag but I would be will to go to the store and pickup some hunting and fishing mag. Thanks you and your friends for your service and let me know. Chris
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Can you PM their APO? I am prior service so I know their pain. I have stacks of hunting/trapping magazines. I could send them direct instead of mailing to anchorage to mail over.

I realize that a lot of guys probably only read hunting and fishing mags, but I would imagine there are many that read other mags/books as well. We have a pretty big stack of National Geographic mags that we've been wondering what to do with for years. If they can be of use let me know.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

I stopped by over at Hunt Alaska and Fish Alaska magazine yesterday and asked about a donation of old magazines...They said they would provide them to the troops...I have no problem shipping them to them if you want to send me an APO address...Their only stipulation was they did not end up in a trash heap...(yes it happened last time they shipped magazines to the troops, found in dumpster in California)...

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I realize that a lot of guys probably only read hunting and fishing mags, but I would imagine there are many that read other mags/books as well. We have a pretty big stack of National Geographic mags that we've been wondering what to do with for years. If they can be of use let me know.
    We had quite a stack of National Geographic magazines at one time also. Called up the local school and they were very happy to get them.
    "Grin and Bear It"

AK Soldier, I'm willing to donate some cases of my books and videos, but I would hate for them to get ditched in the dumpster.

Shoot me an email or PM about how and where to mail the media. Most troops have laptops for viewing DVDs, and they'll get some laughs out of them too. Books, no prob either.

Larry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast