Thread: Nelchina Herd: Number of Permits Issued

Default Nelchina Herd: Number of Permits Issued

Based on highly scientific, quantitative methods, it appears the number of permits issued for 2013 are:

• 6,880 RC566 (Tier1)
    • 5,000 DC480-DC483 (draw)

This is a total of...wait for it... 11,880 permits; up significantly from last year.
    "Your papers are not in order"

Quote Originally Posted by sigabrt View Post
    Based on highly scientific, quantitative methods, it appears the number of permits issued for 2013 are:

• 6,880 RC566 (Tier1)
    • 5,000 DC480-DC483 (draw)

This is a total of...wait for it... 11,880 permits; up significantly from last year.
    Those are the same numbers I got in another thread earlier. Good to confirm though. Up about 4000 permits from last year, but that does make sense when you think about it. Currently, they are still around 1,000 short of reaching last year's quota of 5,000 animals when they gave out 8000+ permits. This year, you can figure they have had a relatively easy winter so far so probably a high survivor rate on top of the remaining quota from last year. I would figure they want at least as many taken this year as last year, if not more. Gotta bump the numbers of permits up to hopefully achieve the targeted take.

Makes me wonder if I "won" anything of value with my DC480 tag???

By that I mean; like most folks, my hunting time is limited. So, should I spend it, chasing a Bull Only tag in an area where 6,880 Tier 1 substitance hunters have already had a 10-day head-start, and 5,000 other hunters like myself, are out in the same area?

Or should I spend my hunting time elsewhere?

Thanx, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Quote Originally Posted by BluNosDav View Post

By that I mean; like most folks, my hunting time is limited. So, should I spend it, chasing a Bull Only tag in an area where 6,880 Tier 1 substitance hunters have already had a 10-day head-start, and 5,000 other hunters like myself, are out in the same area?

Thanx, Dave.
    There are only about 4000 more permits this year than last year. That's about a 50% increase. Figure that many of those 6,880 tier I hunters will not go out the 10 days early because they want to also have the opportunity to hunt moose which doesn't open until September 1st. The other 5,000 are split up over three separate areas, so the most in any one are if every person was out at the same time is 1,700, most likely a lot less. If you are willing to get out of your truck before actually seeing something, you will outdistance probably 1/3 of those hunting. If you walk off the main trail you will get away from probably another 1/3. It isn't hard to get away from the crowds if you actually want to.

Thanx, Dave.
    I hunted there pretty much all of Aug and Sept...the 10 day head start doesn't matter much since the critters are spread out and (generally) up high- relatively few critters are taken in early Aug. Later in the season no amount of hunting pressure will stop them moving through the area.

Get a bit off the road and you'll think you were the only guy out there.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

After a "quick" check of the ADF&G website, it shows far less Draw tags issued:

DC480 - 175 / DC481 - 50 / DC482 - 175 / DC483 - 175 = 575

Just curious, where did the 5,000 number come from?
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

After a "quick" check of the ADF&G website, it shows far less Draw tags issued:

DC480 - 175 / DC481 - 50 / DC482 - 175 / DC483 - 175 = 575

Just curious, where did the 5,000 number come from?
    From the real results. If you download the draw permit winners list (lower left side of the page), you can do a full page search for the permit number you are interested in. Shows that there were 5,000 permits given to the DC480-483 hunts (1,700+300+1,300+1,700). Those numbers you see in the hunt description are really just placeholders and haven't changed in a number of years. Those were initial estimates a while back of the minimum number of permits they might issue.

I'm so excited to hunt caribou this fall I just wanna yell!!!!!!
    Last edited by Brian M; 02-15-2013 at 19:17.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    I'm so excited to hunt caribou this fall I just wanna yell!!!!!!
    Fixed it for you.. It is generally considered poor form to use overly large font size. But you know this already.

I am extremely pumped as I drew DC480 as well. Blew my knee out last year and couldn't hunt at all so I will definitely be one of those going out. This will be my first ever big game hunt. Hopefully, my buddy is back from his deployment to help/ teach me the ropes. If not, it will be all learning on my own. Either way, it's going to be a good time. Good luck to everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by junkak View Post
    Fixed it for you.. It is generally considered poor form to use overly large font size. But you know this already.
    Oh, is Magpie posting again? I just ignore him because of the obnoxious font.