Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many rods???

Default How many rods???

Will be fishing out of Valdez, can you have a rod down for Halibut and use another rod to fish for silvers?? Or is it only one rod per person at a time?? Don't have the reg. Thanks for the help.

Steve

1 per person at a time.

Default Impressive

That would be a talented fishermen, silvers and halbiut simultaneously. Forget the law, is it possible?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Do it all the time.

While one person is fishing for Halibut on the bottom. The other angler drops a hochie rigged herring to drift in the current. Works very well.

Steve

I've fried bacon, scrambled eggs, made pancakes and landed a 50# butt while rolling in 4' Cross Sound swells at anchor.... talk about multi-tasking!

Yeah, if we've got enough licenses aboard, I'll always leave a whole herring drifting in the current to mooch for whatever comes along. We've lured some big yelloweye and quillbacks up from 150' to take our mooching rig at 15'. Of course, I've had 40# King salmon hit a 16/0 circle hook loaded with octopus at 150' too....

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default What I mean is,

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    While one person is fishing for Halibut on the bottom. The other angler drops a hochie rigged herring to drift in the current. Works very well.

Steve
    What I mean is, a single guy fishing for halibut and silvers at the same time. I pictured a guy with a deep sea rod in one hand jigging and one-handed casting a vibrax with the other in 4 foot swells.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default One

One per person. Extras are $110 per rod. :-(

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Thanks Dave

I had no Idea, I hate to say but I have used more than one. It was Dave's post a while back about tickets that made me ask. Thanks for the heads up. You guys saved me from buying my own personal stop sign or at least making a donation to the fish cops. Great site, tight lines all.

Steve

Dave,

I hope it didn't cost you $110 to personally find that answer

Default Experience

Experience is an excellent teacher. Yes, I lived in the bush for my first years here. No licenses, subsistance, no one to check on anything.

Moved to Valdez. New boat, new to the area, new to ocean fishing. Dropped in two rods just like I had in NY for 51 years. Was not in 10 minutes and meet my first Alaskan Fish and Game officer. I had the PWS regs and could not find anything in it on poles. It was in the General Regs. Which being here three years I had never seen or used before.

Experience is a good teacher. So to become more aquainted with the regs I became an Archery Inst., Hunter Ed. Inst., Bear Baiting Inst. and and joined the Valdez Advisory Council for Fish and Game.

Even now, some of the regulations are not clear and I have to call people.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I am glad to see I am not the only one that did not know the answer to that question. I have lived in Alaska for 17 years and never even gave it thought till reading this post. I am glad that we always go as a family or group or we would of been paying fines a couple of times.

Dave,

I plead ignorance on the general fishing regs as well Fortunately I'll typically have at least five folks on board and really don't have room for more than 4 folks to fish, so I should be good at least on that count.

Let's say that there are 3 people on board. Two are below and reading books or whatever, and one is on the deck fishing. Can that one person have 3 rods out because there are 3 people on the boat? If not (because a person has to be at/near their rod?), then how close is close enough? There have been many times that my wife has tired of fishing and I ended up working both rods.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Let's say that there are 3 people on board. Two are below and reading books or whatever, and one is on the deck fishing. Can that one person have 3 rods out because there are 3 people on the boat? If not (because a person has to be at/near their rod?), then how close is close enough? There have been many times that my wife has tired of fishing and I ended up working both rods.
    Yeah, the regs are less than specific:

Sport fishing gear: Unless provided in 5 AAC 75.020 -- 5 AAC 75.049 (area-specific regulations), or by the area regulations in 5 AAC 46 -- 5 AAC 70, sport fishing may only be conducted by the use of a single line having attached to it not more than one plug, spoon, spinner, or series of spinners, or two flies, or two hooks. *****The line must be closely attended.***** The use of any explosive or toxicant for taking fish in the waters of Alaska is prohibited.

I added the asterisks to highlight the extent of the description. So, I'm in the head and ask someone to keep an eye on my trolling rod - legal? illegal?
    The regs do leave a little to be desired in this case. It's common for everyone or some folks to be inside the heated cabin if trolling for salmon, maybe even with halibut rods down, I'm sure that's fine. And I can't really imagine being required to reel up if I have to go to the head.

It's definitely a grey area.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by nickster View Post
    Yeah, the regs are less than specific:

Sport fishing gear: Unless provided in 5 AAC 75.020 -- 5 AAC 75.049 (area-specific regulations), or by the area regulations in 5 AAC 46 -- 5 AAC 70, sport fishing may only be conducted by the use of a single line having attached to it not more than one plug, spoon, spinner, or series of spinners, or two flies, or two hooks. *****The line must be closely attended.***** The use of any explosive or toxicant for taking fish in the waters of Alaska is prohibited.

I added the asterisks to highlight the extent of the description. So, I'm in the head and ask someone to keep an eye on my trolling rod - legal? illegal?
    The regs do leave a little to be desired in this case. It's common for everyone or some folks to be inside the heated cabin if trolling for salmon, maybe even with halibut rods down, I'm sure that's fine. And I can't really imagine being required to reel up if I have to go to the head.

It's definitely a grey area.
    Not much grey area really. If there are 3 licensed fishermen on board, then there can be 3 poles fishing at one time. It is no problem at all if your in the cabin warming up or steering the boat as it trolls for that monster king salmon while your pole fishes. However, don't be one of those guys who claim their 6 month old son who is asleep in the v-berth is fishing one of the poles...that will cost you if you get caught. You already know what the spirit of the regulation is saying, so go with that. Don't try to find some loophole and exploit it, that will only get you in hot water.

CapnCrunch,

Good point. I wonder at what point it is cool to claim the kids. Last weekend we went out, wife, 5 year old, 2 1/2 year old, and myself. Had three rods down. My 5 year old can real up rockfish and such on his own but can't necessarily handle a 9' pole alone so he gets help. You can get a harvest report card for any child under 16 so I wonder why you couldn't put a rod down for the 2 1/2 year old if your true intention is to let them help real. BTW my 2 1/2 year old loves to help real but obviously needs some help. One question I have that I haven't even looked at is if you can claim fish for them. I konw you can with a harvest report but is there even an age limit on that..........

Thoughts?
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    CapnCrunch,

Good point. I wonder at what point it is cool to claim the kids. Last weekend we went out, wife, 5 year old, 2 1/2 year old, and myself. Had three rods down. My 5 year old can real up rockfish and such on his own but can't necessarily handle a 9' pole alone so he gets help. You can get a harvest report card for any child under 16 so I wonder why you couldn't put a rod down for the 2 1/2 year old if your true intention is to let them help real. BTW my 2 1/2 year old loves to help real but obviously needs some help. One question I have that I haven't even looked at is if you can claim fish for them. I konw you can with a harvest report but is there even an age limit on that..........

Thoughts?
    OK here is my opinion so take it with a grain of salt: Your 5 year old is good to go, as long as he can reel up fish (even with some help from dad), he would be an easy sell to the fish cop checking you. Now your 2 1/2 year old is another story, since I have kids myself I know that there is no way the 2 1/2 year old is really doing the fishing or even capable of anything close to fishing with the adult fishing pole. Now maybe if you had a scoobydoo kids fishing pole for the 2 1/2 year old, you could get away with that. But not an adult fishing pole for the little guy. My kids grew up fishing and one thing I hope I taught them was to follow the rules, keep that in mind...you don't want to raise little poachers!

I would bet if you got checked fishing and tried to claim the 2 1/2 year old on an adult pole you would end up with a ticket and a spoiled afternoon. If you really just gotta know, call the local fish & wildlife office and ask them.

As I read the law, the fish belongs to he/she who hooks it. That being said you are able to help, assist, reel etc. anyone in landing that fish but it goes towards their limit.

If your 2.5 yr old can hook a fish out in the salt and not loose the pole before you get over there to help him your probably good to go. If not stick to the lakes and let him have a ball on the stockers. My boys did very well at age 5 and 6 at the mouth of Willow Creek amongst the crowds as long as there were several of us on either side of them so the kids had room to not mess up other anglers. They did require some assistance in landing their fish the first couple of years but so did a couple of the seniors that I helped land theirs.

CapnCrunch & AKBighorn,

Agreed on both accounts. Notice I only had three poles down, hadn't included the 2 1/2 year old but more or less playing devils advocate becuase you know someone is going to try it and the regs are not very clear. Of course they will never be able to address every angle. Common sense has to play a role at some point! The little guys do best at the lakes and such but my boy (5) is just getting to the point where he really can start handling it pretty well by himself so I don't feel like it is to much of a stretch. At the same time Rock Fish are one thing vs. a halibutt.

Good luck and tight lines!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

My girl could cut bait and reel on a nice silver with the help of a rodholder at 2. Took pics to cover my hiney if I got checked.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast