Thread: Black Bear Hunt around Anchorage

Default Black Bear Hunt around Anchorage

I am headed to Anchorage to work for the summer. I will be in Anchorage/Eagle River from May 15th to August 16th working for ConocoPhillips.
    I was planning on bringing some of my hunting gear so I could hunt spring black bear. Does anyone want to take me under their wing for this hunt or at-least go with me?
    I currently live in Wyoming, so I am willing to share info or help someone hunt if they helped me with a spring bear in AK.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A magpie's wing is pretty small. What part of Wyoming are you in?
    Last edited by Brian M; 02-15-2013 at 00:33.

I live in Laramie right now which is in the SE corner. However, I grew up in Powell, Wyoming which is in the NE corner close to Yellowstone. I've hunted all sorts of big game in the mountains around that area and still do every year.

So can you get me on a 200" mule deer or a 350" elk? I thought yellowstone was in the NW corner? Laramie? Thats a hell hole if I ever saw one. You can't get private messages yet so whats your email?
    Last edited by Brian M; 02-15-2013 at 00:33.

Sorry my bad. Yellowstone is in the NW corner. Getting a 350 bull and 200 inch deer is pretty tough anywhere you go. Shoot me an email and we can talk. bbrinkerhoff87@gmail.com

Magpie- being from Laramie I'd take offense to that, but I've already gotten pretty good at ignoring most of your "contributions" around here.

To the OP- make a few more posts so you can PM and the shoot me a message. I can't guarantee my schedule will work out to go with you, but I can at least give you some pointers on areas and tactics to try out while you're up here.

Cheers,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Wyhunt,
    If you cant find anyone to go with, I have killed 3 Black bear at the 129 Mile marker on the Parks hyway, ( that North of ANC).

Turn Right at the 129 & there is Gravel pit right there that you can camp & a foot trail in the back corners of the pit that go all the way down to the Chulitna river.

1/2 mile south of the 129 there is a nice creek that flows all the way to the river that holds Salmon.Lots of bears sign & places to see from a distance.
    There is also anouther gravel pit just south of that creek that has a trail in the back of it that goes along the south side of that creek. Great spot for seing them from an elevation.

THERE ARE GRIZZ around so pay attention.

RJ Simington

I hunt spring blackies every year, be more than glad to take you out as I am always looking for someone to go with. I work for myself so schedule can be fit around yours:O) I kill blackies every spring within 45 minutes of Anchorage Drop me a PM and we can discuss further and send phone details. Split the gas for the ride and were all good:O)
    Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!

How many posts does a guy need before they can have the PM option?

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermy View Post
    Wyhunt,
    If you cant find anyone to go with, I have killed 3 Black bear at the 129 Mile marker on the Parks hyway, ( that North of ANC).

Turn Right at the 129 & there is Gravel pit right there that you can camp & a foot trail in the back corners of the pit that go all the way down to the Chulitna river.

1/2 mile south of the 129 there is a nice creek that flows all the way to the river that holds Salmon.Lots of bears sign & places to see from a distance.
    There is also anouther gravel pit just south of that creek that has a trail in the back of it that goes along the south side of that creek. Great spot for seing them from an elevation.

THERE ARE GRIZZ around so pay attention.

RJ Simington
    Wow, what good news for anyone with a food and coffee truck. Now with this info there is sure to be a crowd and guess what.... no bears in sight.

I hope to be back this summer too. Waiting on my contract. Maybe we could meet up.

Wyhunt, get with me when you get into the Anchorage/valley area. My kids live in Wyoming so we have something in common and I like bear hunting. Set up your PM account and I will send you my contact details. Duckdon
    Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
    Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel. Training Versatile Dogs because we hunt it all.
    Memeber of the Alaska Warterfowl Association.

Quote Originally Posted by WYhunt View Post
    Sorry my bad. Yellowstone is in the NW corner. Getting a 350 bull and 200 inch deer is pretty tough anywhere you go. Shoot me an email and we can talk. bbrinkerhoff87@gmail.com
    WYhunt I would seriously talk with Rich(WYO2AK) He is a straight shooter around here and always has great advice and is very knowledgable....

Never fails, ya try to help someone out with advise & theres always some smart ***** remarks from somebody.

No, You probably wouldnt see a bear there. But I kill one every time i go fishing down there.

RJ Simington

Nothing wrong with advice! Good or bad

How can I set up my PM option? can't seem to figure it out.

I belive it is an automatic function that happens once you hit so many posts. I think it's 20 ish posts needed to PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WYhunt View Post
    How can I set up my PM option? can't seem to figure it out.
    It is a restriction to help deter spammers. You need something like 15 posts and being a member on here for something like a month or month and a half before the PM feature will work. If you need to contact someone directly, best way would be to use e-mail until the feature is available to you.