Thread: Walkers Game ear (or similiar) - Legal in AK?

Default Walkers Game ear (or similiar) - Legal in AK?

Some states don't allow the use of 'hearing augmentation' like the Walkers game ear, or certain muffs which amplify low noise while at the same time blocking sounds over a certain decibel.

I just looked at the 2006 ak regs, and did not find a mention of this: Does anyone know whether or not such devices are legal?

Thanks in advance -

Nate

I couldn't find anything that prohibits a hearing aid. Here are my references:

http://www.touchngo.com/lglcntr/akst...section080.htm

and

http://www.touchngo.com/lglcntr/akst...section085.htm

However, it never hurts to ask fish & game. Call the local biologist in the area your planning on hunting.

Default Thanks

Capn-

Thanks for the links.

Nate

Default oxymoron?

From what I have read and heard from a 2 audiologists, there really is no such devise that attenuates AND amplifies very well. If you've ever used a Walker's game ear and they really do work, pls let me know. I don't take my hearing aids into the field because water will toast them, and I'd be interested in some magic machine that helps out. Thanks. j

Default i think so

I use them for duck hunting, not to amplify but just to be able to hear right up until the shooting starts. I got them last year and they worked well in the fall. I don't think they amplify too much, but they do block out the loud noises well.

Quote Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
    From what I have read and heard from a 2 audiologists, there really is no such devise that attenuates AND amplifies very well. If you've ever used a Walker's game ear and they really do work, pls let me know. I don't take my hearing aids into the field because water will toast them, and I'd be interested in some magic machine that helps out. Thanks. j
    The magic machine you are looking fror is the Peltor Tac-Com. Waterproof, stereo, amplifies, and attenuates anything over 80dB.

Such things are not illegal in Alaska, nor should they be. I use a set of Peltor Tactical 6S, and it works fine. They keep my ears warm during moose season in September

It does not matter how much hearing enhancement you can have, because moose and other animals can hear or smell you perhaps 100 times more than you. As you turn the volume up, wind through the trees, or any noise near you is amplified first. For example, if you are trying to get a few yards closer to a moose to take a shot, you can hear your footsteps or any noise you are making. Since these noises are louder than noises farther away, these noise is what you hear the most. It's very difficult to get closer to game while wearing ear plugs, because these block most noises, including the ones you are making. That's when electronic muffs are most useful, and also when firing your rifle to block the high noise from the shot.