Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where can I buy a new S&W 460V?

Default Where can I buy a new S&W 460V?

I have been looking to get a new larger caliber handgun, and pretty much settled on this (thanks to all of the bear protection threads). When I go out to try and buy it, Walmart's selection is limited to the 8.5" barrel, and Sportsman's Warehouse says they don't have it, and won't order it. It seems like there is a shortage of everything right now. Any suggestions on where I can purchase something like this at a reasonable price? If the answer is no, any idea how long this shortage will last?
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Gunbrokers.

I would look at any of the reputable gun shops and ask them to order if they don't have what you want. IMHO that ype of handgun is not going to be affected much by the recent scrambling and buying of everything- pretty specialized and more popular for carry up here and for hunting in the lower 48. Worst case I would look on gunbroker or gunsAmerica to find one and have it shipped.
    Just my .02
    BEE

WHAT barrel length are you looking for..........????

5", I think. I currently have a Taurus 454 6.5" and I am looking for something comparable, but a little different. From what I have read the short barrels are too loud, and the 8.5" seems like a bit much for hiking.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360908617.429217.jpg
    My 500
    They are fun! But hold on with magnum loads.

The 460V is a 5" barrel with the V being the Roman numeral for 5. I bought one a few years back at Walmart in Wasilla.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

The 460V are currently out of production. S&W are not making them anymore. Unless your really lucky or tenacious in searching you probably won't find a new one. New to you yes though. You will definately want to be wearing hearing protection when you touch this off.
    The best thing about the 460 is you can shoot 454, .45 LC out of it. I have read that you can shoot .45 acp and 460 rowland out of it with either some minor work or moon clips too.

Smith & Wesson still lists them in all forms (5-inch, XVR, etc.) on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper3083006 View Post
    The 460V are currently out of production. S&W are not making them anymore. Unless your really lucky or tenacious in searching you probably won't find a new one. New to you yes though. You will definately want to be wearing hearing protection when you touch this off.
    The best thing about the 460 is you can shoot 454, .45 LC out of it. I have read that you can shoot .45 acp and 460 rowland out of it with either some minor work or moon clips too.
    460V is not out of production its between production runs. Its a low volume seller so they only do a runs every year to 18 months. Finding a new 460V is just a matter of looking around to find one of the many sitting in a lower 48 shop gathering dust.

I love both my 460Vs but S&W Custom shop would be happy to build you a 5 one piece barrel without the compensator (or with the comp threaded on) and if you have the bucks Id highly recommend that route. The 460V is a 4 barrel inside a 5 barrel shroud that houses an inch of compensator. The comp is nice at the range but a pain for all the things the gun is so usfull for in the field . . . Id much rather just have another inch of barrel and no comp.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    460V is not out of production its between production runs. Its a low volume seller so they only do a runs every year to 18 months. Finding a new 460V is just a matter of looking around to find one of the many sitting in a lower 48 shop gathering dust.

I love both my 460Vs but S&W Custom shop would be happy to build you a 5 one piece barrel without the compensator (or with the comp threaded on) and if you have the bucks Id highly recommend that route. The 460V is a 4 barrel inside a 5 barrel shroud that houses an inch of compensator. The comp is nice at the range but a pain for all the things the gun is so usfull for in the field . . . Id much rather just have another inch of barrel and no comp.
    What is the benefit of the compensator?
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    What is the benefit of the compensator?
    If that is what I think it is, essentially a muzzle brake, then I would suggest against it. It may be good for the shooter, but sucks for anyone else around you whether you are at the range or in the field. The last thing you want to do while out in the field dealing with an aggressive animal is blow the eardrums out of your hunting partner standing off to the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitworth View Post
    I have no idea if the 460 is still in production. But I do know from personal experience S&W had another revolver on their web site for 2 years (329 XL). Even after talking to them at SCI where they said they would not make it, it remained on their web site for another 8 months. My point being it doesnt matter if it is on their web site, doesnt mean they will make it anymore.

Shooting a 460 or 500 without a comp is MUCH more enjoyable than shooting one with a comp, or muzzle brake.

When I sent my .460 in to S&W last March, I inquired about having a 5" barrel fitted to replace the existing 3 1/2" barrel, I was told that then that S&W no longer produces a 5" barrel for the "X" frame and that the .460V would no longer be manufactured. That could change of course, so if you really want to know the truth (for now) contact S&W.

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I have been looking to get a new larger caliber handgun, and pretty much settled on this (thanks to all of the bear protection threads). When I go out to try and buy it, Walmart's selection is limited to the 8.5" barrel, and Sportsman's Warehouse says they don't have it, and won't order it. It seems like there is a shortage of everything right now. Any suggestions on where I can purchase something like this at a reasonable price? If the answer is no, any idea how long this shortage will last?
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=329325389

Can anyone recommend a good FFL dealer to use for something like this, and what they charge? Do they have to bid on your behalf, or do you bid and get one and then contact them?
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

You bid, you win, you pay. Then you send in the FFL and payment to the person you are buying from. Any local shop will handle the transaction as will some of the guys on here. I use a guy in Eagle River, $10 per transfer if your a vet or retired vet. Otherwise normal cost is around $25.

Might take a look at a John Ross S&W 500 unless you have to have a 460
    5 inch barrel, no comp.
    Nice revolver, price is about $1,400 last time I checked.
    Just google it and he will come up, you order direct.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast