Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling saltwater flys

Default Trolling saltwater flys

I have been tinkering at the fly bench all winter and came up with saltwater trolling flys...some shrimpy looking some herring looking and some bulit to roll and some built to tight roll. Most of these guys are 6-8 inches long. I even tied in a piece of yarn to hold sent. I am surely not inventing the wheel here so I was curious to see how productive trolling flys in the salt for winter/summer kings and silvers have been for you all?

Send me a handfull and I'll let you know. At least post some pictures.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Quote Originally Posted by mrgsholly View Post
    I have been tinkering at the fly bench all winter and came up with saltwater trolling flys...some shrimpy looking some herring looking and some bulit to roll and some built to tight roll. Most of these guys are 6-8 inches long. I even tied in a piece of yarn to hold sent. I am surely not inventing the wheel here so I was curious to see how productive trolling flys in the salt for winter/summer kings and silvers have been for you all?
    Have never tried them for kings but have caught quite a few silvers on them along with lots of blue water species.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I have caught a bunch of Silvers out of Seward on large white, silver, red and blue flys. we just put them in the bait bin and let them absorb the herring scent..droped down to around 30-50ft with a flasher in front and worked great. Not my go-to lure..but works. Even used it on a flyrod out there a few times when they were hitting the surface...that was fun
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyRaven View Post
    Send me a handfull and I'll let you know. At least post some pictures.
    Skinnyraven let me know when you plan to go next I see about getting some of these to you. I had planned on fishing the winter king derby in march out of homer but it's looking like I will be busy getting our boothes for the sportsman show all dialed in. anyways I attached a pic of one that I had on my phone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good to me..might make some in different colors...but looks awesome!

nothing better than making your own lures and catching fish on em..good luck

Skinnyraven let me know when you plan to go next I see about getting some of these to you. I had planned on fishing the winter king derby in march out of homer but it's looking like I will be busy getting our boothes for the sportsman show all dialed in. anyways I attached a pic of one that I had on my phone.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Trolling dodger/flies is currently the preferred method for kings on the great lakes. Look at some of those forums when you get time. It is will give you a lot to think about.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

I've toyed with some smaller streamers for winter kings to imitate needlefish, but it's hard NOT to use herring when it produces fish consistently day in and day out. I'd certainly be more than willing to give them a try along side herring if you'd like a tester, though. I fish winter kings usually at least once or twice a week all winter long so sure would give them a run for their money. I always love doing "scientific" comparisons like that. If they out fish herring I think you could start a very successful business selling them around here.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

We hammer the fish with them, both kings and silvers, but always behind a flasher. Especially in the fall, but for some reason not so much in the spring and summer. In our experience though, the hook needs to be set well back. We generally tie "tube" flies, then either use a long tube or a series of pearl/white beads between the tube and the hook. If the hook's not in the back 1/3 to 1/4 of the wing, we miss a whole lot of strikes. Red/blue/white is great for silvers. Black/white or black/chartreuse/silver are tops for kings.

BTW- We only make them 4-6" long, so I'll be interested to hear what you turn out with longer versions.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    We hammer the fish with them, both kings and silvers, but always behind a flasher. Especially in the fall, but for some reason not so much in the spring and summer. In our experience though, the hook needs to be set well back. We generally tie "tube" flies, then either use a long tube or a series of pearl/white beads between the tube and the hook. If the hook's not in the back 1/3 to 1/4 of the wing, we miss a whole lot of strikes. Red/blue/white is great for silvers. Black/white or black/chartreuse/silver are tops for kings.

BTW- We only make them 4-6" long, so I'll be interested to hear what you turn out with longer versions.
    I am currently working on some tubes and will be picking up more blues blacks and green materials today. Playing around with some weighted mooching a style flys as well....

I ill have a half dozen or so ready for a test run here by Monday but will need someone to test for me. Maybe we can split them up across a couple of you guys to get these babies in the water.....as well as some constructive critique.

I ill have a half dozen or so ready for a test run here by Monday but will need someone to test for me. Maybe we can split them up across a couple of you guys to get these babies in the water.....as well as some constructive critique.
    Like I said, I'd be more than willing to give them a torture test. I'm always up for that. Shoot me an email, or PM (if you can) and I'll give you my address.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I'm sure you won't find a lack of willing participants. I'll be happy to put some to the test and let you know what I find out!

Flies are used widely down here on the east coast of POW. Made locally if you're looking for a design:

http://www.kingkatcher.com/
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Gooch. I can bring you a couple when I'm down there. Got a few from lundertaker but can order up a couple more before May.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Dave here is a couple more that ill send in the next batch.

Default More going in the mail

Only the top two on the right side have hooks. The others all have eyelets that could be rigged with a split ring and a siwash hook or treb. Two of them have holographic hard wings that are fixed in place one up in the front of the fly and another fly near the rear by the eyelet for the hooks. I'm hope this gives it a sweet rolling action. As well they all are articulated or bend in one form or another as they all are very different. Muttley will be putting these guys in the water hopefully soon.

Good looking tackle. I have no doubt they will work when presented properly. Again, nice work.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Some good lookiing flies there mrgsholly. Bet those would troll up a lot of silvers!

Alright I've got a fair amount of these flys now in Homer ready for there testing, We shall see how thet do. Working on some other patterns at the bench sooner or later I'll come up right configuration of materials to fool them fiesty winter kings. I'll keep posting as they dry....btw if you are heading out before the derby and wouldn't mind helping test shoot me a pm and try to set you up with some flys.

Default A few more

Here is another two with chrome spinner blades

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast