Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First trip of the year?

Default First trip of the year?

In hopes of of getting away from the cabin fever dust ups, I figured thinking about first trips might be something positive to discuss.

So, when/where are planning to hit first?

I'd like to make the shrimp opener but that comes down to when I can extracate my boat from the fingers of winter, which looks like it'll be much easier than last winter. I know my boys would love a shrimp and ski trip out on the Sound. More likely Memorial day out of Whittier for shrimp and some hiking or skiing will be the plan for us.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

We are hoping for a mid April shake down ourselves. No skiing for us, but we will be packing sleds. April can be quite nice out there.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Planning on hitting the water the weekend after the opener. Can't wait!!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Planning on a Crab trip in early to mid March and follow up with shrimp in April and then Bear after. I would like to get some kings this year off of Anchor point in mid May and hang out by Chisik island for an extended weekend though. Probably involve two or three boats.

Of course that would be sprinkled with fishing here and there for Halibut and Sea Bass. Cancellation of deer sure made this a longer winter. My last trip out was in October and is usually the end of December. Needless to say, the trips would have to involve some rib-eye steak and some nice single-malt scotch.

April 20/21st in the sound for me.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Weather finally broke enough in the Juneau area for me to get out there in mid January....so I'm partially dewinterized and on the water. Even caught a king, a short king, but a king nonetheless. I probably won't leave Auke Bay or Gastineau Channel until April but then work gets in the way til late May. Likely my first real trip will be early June to Glacier Bay maybe Elfin Cove area lookin for butts, rockfish and shrimp. Kind of a lull in king action around here during June so I'm gonna make my trips nearer the outside for the scenery, and variety.

Gonna try more overnighters this summer, but still learning the lay of the land in SE.

I was thinking as soon as the roads are clear and the Espar is installed in the boat I might give it a shot. My wife actually wanted to go out this weekend but with the kids having half days and all that I did not get any work done on the ESPAR..

With that said I would guess the first week in May will be the first trip.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Having a stern drive, as soon as it stops getting below freezing at night.

Well I'm really hoping for another crabbing trip and then I'll be out on the 14th ready for the shrimp opener. What do ya think AKluvr95?
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Hoping to get out end of march, but if I can't I have April 18 marked to go out.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Yanked the boat out and put it back in on Tuesday!

I could not live up there. With the mild winter here in southeast we have been fishing almost every week.

Our boat is coming from Bend Oregon and will arrive in Haines on the ferry the first week of May. We are looking to the first week in June for our first trip of the season. We are planning to visit Perry Island and indulge ourselves on their Oysters. We hope to spend a week exploring Eshamy Bay/Lagoon, Culross Passage and the surrounding areas of Perry Island. Hope to find a good spot to drop our shrimp pots in that area and have a great time fishing. Will visit Whittier for the first time and will do it from the small boat harbor pier. Can't wait. Hope to see a good many forum folks out there on the water.
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away."

It could be anytime for me. I am hoping for time off for the winter king derby, I usually like to go out the day before to work out any issues that might come up. All I have to do is take the tarp off and put the batteries in. If I don't make that trip, I like a whittier trip in april for some shrimp and peace of mind
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

last 5 years we've managed to make it out the first week in April, hopefully this year will be no different.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Im really hoping to be out for shrimp opener, but having been playing with the idea of going to homer for the king derby. I dont have downriggers so thats the only thing holding me back. Ive been patiently keeping the snow off the boat for the upcoming season. I cant wait

I'm all in! Are you going to get any pots? Wx dependant ~ last week of March for crabbin. Planning on staying out for several days...
    J~Me oredered and we just received a ramp to help my GWP [Josie] whose been suffering from seizures and the meds have taken a toll on here rear haunches.
    Only 5 packs of shrimp left ~ just grilled bunch of tails to be used in a shrimp dip tomorrow.
    I'm scheduled to work around lunchtime tomorrow if you're going to be in we'll be on P3 recovering a newer Russian AN-96 aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    Well I'm really hoping for another crabbing trip and then I'll be out on the 14th ready for the shrimp opener. What do ya think AKluvr95?

AK Gray ~ I know you were looking into getting some crab pots earlier this past fall. Did you end up getting some?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Hoping to get out end of march, but if I can't I have April 18 marked to go out.

I'll see ya out there.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

My trailer needs two new axels..... Hoping to have boat out of shop by march.....
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast