Thread: Kodiak Deer proposal 140

Default Kodiak Deer proposal 140

What do you guys think.
    From my obsevations in the area that I am most familiar with (south end) the deer population is at its lowest since the 1970`s and the % of sterile bucks is going up. I am curious to know what others who have drop camped or gone on the charter boats in the area have to say.

At the poorly attended KAC meeting last week neither the Dept. or Refuge expressed any concerns for the total archipelago population. I personally feel some consevation measures are waranted in some areas. KAC voted status quo 10-2
    Refuge estimate 60% winter kill on ALiulik Pen. last winter.

PROPOSAL 140 - 5 AAC 85.030 Hunting seasons and bag limits for deer. Reduce the bag limit for deer in Unit 8 and modify the season dates as follows:
    For the area off the road system, change the limit to one buck for nonresidents. For the area off the road system change the limit to two bucks for residents. Change the nonresident season to October 1 – December 2. A large percentage of bucks drop their antlers the first few days of December.
    ISSUE: Due to the extremely harsh winter of 2011-12 the deer population has dropped dramatically. Some estimates are 90% in areas. Presently multiple does and fawn(s) may be harvested by resident and nonresidents. Also (three) multiple bucks may be harvested by residents and nonresidents.
    WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF NOTHING IS DONE? It will take significantly longer for the population to rebound to carrying capacity. It is presently at 10 – 20%. State managers do not have a budget to accurately study deer on Kodiak, so detailed information does not exist.
    WILL THE QUALITY OF THE RESOURCE HARVESTED OR PRODUCTS PRODUCED BE IMPROVED? No.
    WHO IS LIKELY TO BENEFIT? All future users of the resource. Specifically, resident subsistence hunters whose bag limit will remain at three by decreasing competition for the remaining resource. That’s all residents of Unit 8.
    WHO IS LIKELY TO SUFFER? Short-sighted individuals who are only interested in the present and not the health of the entire resource. Nonresidents who wanted to harvest multiple trophy bucks.
    OTHER SOLUTIONS CONSIDERED? Change the resident season. It allows harvest before and after non-resident hunting for those who want the meat.
    PROPOSED BY: Brian Peterson EG050712688
    ************************************************** ****************************

These deer are an introduced specie to the island. The wildlife refuge, which own a good majority of the habitat doesn't care about non-native introduced species. Are numbers down, yes. Is it a crisis, no. Environmental conditions are a big part of it. The population growth was unchecked until it reached the carrying capacity for the available food source. Throw in some bad winters and you will get fluctuations. The deer are not going away a d a reduced limit is not necessary. Limit shooting off the beach beyond October would do significantly more for the population than changing bag limits for the hunters that actually pursue and hunt them. Once you take away a privilege or reduce a bag limit, you won't get it back!

I say leave it alone, it is totally fine how it is. The deer will fluctuate up and down and still will be there in enough numbers to hunt for generations to come.

If anything, close the season before the snow gets too deep and push the deer down to the beach before they become easy pickings. Make everyone have to actually hunt those deer.

I hunted south end first week of December this year. Population is definitely down by significant amount. I have no doubt the deer will bounce back and I do not support the proposal below. It wasn't many years ago we could shoot 5 deer. Now down to 3. Don't want it to go any lower. One thing I would support is eliminating the any deer allowance and only allow harvest of bucks until the population has recovered.

On a separate note, I did shoot a stag this year which I never have before. Another interesting thing is I shot two bucks with fresh 22lr wounds on them. Wish the unethical folks that did that would learn to hunt more responsibly.

If you are truly worried about the rebound of the population, why not restrict the shooting of does. They are the ones, after all, that make the babies. The fact that you single out non-resident buck take, but don't touch resident doe take, leads me to believe you have alterior motives or don't really understand how nature works. I am all for reducing the take of does, but this would have to apply to residents and locals also, or else we are playing politics and not science.

Winter kill is infinitely worse than hunter kill, especially in a population like Kodiak deer that basically has no wild predation. It's always better to trim the herd before the hard part of winter sets in. That way the remaining animals get the full benefit of the limited winter feed and survive better and healthier. This helps with fawn survival too. With deer it just takes a little habitat improvement and a couple mild winters and they'll come back on their own with no more restrictions required. While they're down, there will be less effort to hunt them too. It all balances out.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett