Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smart Weapons? Whats your opinion?

Default Smart Weapons? Whats your opinion?

Hearing all of the talk about the "Smart Weapon" I thought I would see what you all think! Would you buy a weapon that will only fire for you based on a technology that senses who is holding the weapon or by a ring you are wearing? What are your thoughts?

I would not buy one...I would want my hunting partner to be able to use my weapon, in case he needs it to shoot the bear that's chewing on my arm or has already eaten that special ring that was attached to my finger.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Let the capitalist system work it out. Is there a market? Certainly, but at what cost and how big would the market be? The option to have it available would be a great idea as far as I am concerned, but I do not want it mandated. The secondary market also comes into question. How do you sell a gun that will only work with your ring? Maybe the gunsmiths are going to be getting real busy with a whole new business plan. It's an interesting concept, but LOTS of unanswered questions.

​i don't want one!

S&W was working on this when the first Brady bill came out. You need two rings if you want to shoot your handgun with either hand.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I can see that getting pretty absurd pretty quickly.

So what if I wear gloves? Would I be able to sue the manufacture because my family got killed because it would not fire?

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

People grumbled when Colt came out with the Series 80 firing pin block, same with Kimber and their Series II pistols. Now we need to become Lord of the Ring.....or Rings, as the case maybe?

I much prefer the idea of a "smart" holster or lock box that's releases or opens with a fingerprint reader....assuming the technology is dependable in real-world situations.

Then again, I would like a home security system that instead of an alarm sound, it plays the sounds of Cujo barking and an 870 racking home.

I'm more interested in smart politicians than smart guns.

One thing I've learned from 20+ years of engineering is genious is in simplicity. When you complicate things you are only asking for trouble and will have a host of unforseen failures and limitations.

If I've surrounded myself with people that I fear will take my gun and use it on me, then the solution is to either move away from those people or treat them in a way that they don't want to shoot me.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Stahuupid!!
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Bet I could unfix it so it would shoot no matter who pulled the trigger. If someone takes my gun from me, I have already lost the fight. Cause if he's tough enough to take my gun from me, he's probably tough enough to beat me to death with it if it won't shoot.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

No thanks. Too easily controlled by the government and too likely to mess up when I need it most. I like the KISS system and proper trigger control.

Nope, it's too expensive and too many problems. The only safety I need is my trigger finger. (not really, but you know what I mean)

I have zero interest in such a concept.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

So what about a built in key system? Owner has the key(s) and no one else can unlock the firearm.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    So what about a built in key system? Owner has the key(s) and no one else can unlock the firearm.
    Zero interest for me.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    what happens if you lose the key? Or somebody breaks into the house and you fumble it?

As much as their starting to use RFID chips, my guess thatís the direction smart gun technology will go - a chip in the hand to code the one in the gun(s). Easy to track too, and turn off.

I think regardless it is just a way to get more money, in the end to me it leaves to much to chance. My risk assessment says its a bad idea to many opportunities for error that could cause me not to be able to fire when needed.

I have heard this technology is light years away from being considered reliable. Apparently there are also too many ways to hack it at this point. Honestly I cant really see the benefit of the technology... While it might save 1 kid who's playing with daddy's gun these incidents are statistically few compared to lets say drowning are automobile crashes. Then criminals Will find a way too hack it so the good guys gun does not work... seems to create more of a Hassle then its worth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast