Thread: .270 for wolf too much gun?

Default .270 for wolf too much gun?

I have been taking my .270 out on my wolf hunts as its the smallest rifle I own. I'm looking for a new rifle but in the meantime is this too much gun? I currently have 150 Gr. soft points. Was thinking of looking into a lighter load. Any recommendations until I can acquire a new gun?

I think your going to make big holes on exit, shoot the heaviest, toughest bullet you can so it will pass through with as little expansion as possible, as slow as possible. If you handload I can give you some ideas, otherwise look for some heavy partitions or TTX.

Heavy, tough bullets are your friends....a TSX or ETIP would be good.

I used to have some FMJ .270 bullets floating around some place...believe they were 110gr Sierras if you hand load.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I agree with most said here. 270 not too much really, just go a little bigger on bullet and slow it down a bit. Wolves got pretty tough shirts on em, just getting a shot at one is the biggest thing.

sorry man..but a dead wolf is a dead wolf. The hide can be fixed easy. The object is to kill it.
    I know... I know...but had to.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    sorry man..but a dead wolf is a dead wolf. The hide can be fixed easy. The object is to kill it.
    I know... I know...but had to.
    No disagreement there! I'm just trying to help the guy justify a new gun!!!

I'm really appreciative of all the advice. Thanks (And the support in justifying a new gun But I have a problem, I only shoot one gun, a 7mm mag., when hunting for the most part and have never broadened my horizons ammo or caliber-wise as it has worked like a charm on the last five moose. This is the first time I've used the .270 after owning it for years, I guess I just got so comfortable with the 7 i haven't learned any thing else. So aside from FMJ I don't know what the other designations mean when speaking of bullets. If someone could explain to me what they mean it would help me not sound like an idiot when I go ammo and rifle shopping, im not a newbie to hunting by any means but just trying to branch out any try new things, maybe even reloading one day.Sorry for all the questions, lol.

The other acronums are just bullet names. TSX or ETIP are just all copper bullets that tend to stay together and penetrate deep. The nosler Partition is a lead and copper bullet also designed to retain it's weight and penetrate. All of these bullet types are also available in 7mm. If you can find a store that actually has ammo on the shelves then you should be able to pretty easily find 270 loads that use any one of those recommendations and whichever shoots accurately in your rifle will be more than adequate. If you handloaded then you could easily make light 110 accubond or Barnes loads that would work fantastic as well. Thanks to the 6.8SPC there are tons of light .277 bullets on the market now from 85 grains on up.

Default 270

I have some 100 grain bullets, they are remington brand, can't remember what type they are, use them to hunt caribou, they don't make big entry or exit holes on the caribou, I use them just in case I come across wolves. If you are going to get another gun a 223 would be the best choice. Very accurate rifles and don't do much damage to them.

I think a 270 is a great gun for shooting wolf. I personally always use my 7mm partly cause I love that rifle and am comfortable with it and partly cause shots at wolves tend to be long range shooting where little guns like 223 and 243 don't particularly shine. In either the 270 or 7mm I would recommend you shoot a controlled expansion bullet such as a swift aframe, Barnes x, or trophy bonded bear claw. Most of those bullets are tough enough that you will see limited expansion on a wolf size critter at long range. I specifically do not recommend the Nosler partition bullet cause when that bullet does what it is designed to do, it will put a bigger hole in the hide than you need to. Still, I agree with the post that your first goal is a dead wolf. Holes can be repaired.

I have shot a ton of coyotes with a 280 rifle, mostly 139 gr bullets. I agree that a solid jacketed - slower moving bullet is likely the best recipe - however shot placement will also make a big difference in exit hole size - hard to control everything....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

For what it's worth, I read a book called "Hunting the Hunters" by Rick Kinmon - probably the most successful predator hunter of all time. He used a 6mm PPC loaded with 80 gr. Hornady FMJs at 2800 fps. for everything from close range foxes to running wolves at hundreds of yards. The 270 is quite a step up from the 6mm. If you hand - load, that load is not too difficult to duplicate in a .243, and both rifles and components are far more common for that than the 6 PPC.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I was just in 3 Bears today and they had a fair selection of .270 on the shelf still.

Shot one this year with my 375-260Gr Partition exit hole was nickle size. Your 270 is, IMHO, perfect for wolves

Quote Originally Posted by fkroosher View Post
    Shot one this year with my 375-260Gr Partition exit hole was nickle size. Your 270 is, IMHO, perfect for wolves
    Going out again tomorrow to try my luck, got some new ammo and hit the range last weekend. With any luck maybe I'll connect, hearing lots of coyotes in the valley and no wolf sign for ten days, they should be due back soon I hope.