Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: lowrance structure scan???

  1. #1
    Member joebut1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    anchorage
    Posts
    407

    Default lowrance structure scan???

    Was curous if anyone uses structure scan for ocean fishing? I am interested in getting it but most of the places that i fish are pretty deep execpt for rockfish in some cases. Was curous if anyone has found a practical use for it?

  2. #2
    Member Blue Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North of Anchor Pt
    Posts
    682

    Default

    I have the structure scan, but have not had the chance to really try it out. The reports for like bass fishing is very good, but not much bass fishing up here. I have played with it some, but I need to just go out and spend a few hours and see what it will do. Not sure if I would spend the money if I had to do it over, but I have really not given it a far try out.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

  3. #3
    Member Kodiakfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Kodiak
    Posts
    212

    Default

    I have it and I use it extensively. That said, I've not used it in deep water. Quite the opposite, most of my use has been less than 50'. But I will say that it's pretty incredible what you can see and what yuo can make out. This will be my first season using it in deeper, saltwater and I can't wait to get it over kelp and pinnacles. For scanning bottom in 100'-200' of water...I dunnow how that'd look but I'm gonna find out this year.

    I like it because you can make out the difference in "crap" and (in my case, muskie fishing) actual weeds, and then, even what kind of weeds. I like looking for bait more on my conventional sonar, but for actual "structure" (hence it's name) it's awesome.

    Here I am in a channel and my conventional sonar shows me what could be alot of things. SS (downscan precisely) shows me it's weeds, and I can tell it's cabbage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #4

    Default

    Lowrance says "Award-winning Broadband Sounder™ comes standard on all HDS fishfinder models! Mark and display everything underwater at higher speeds and at greater depths to 3,000"

    Sounds like it will go deep. Assume that's in salt water since not too many fresh water places 3,000 feet deep. Nice unit.

  5. #5
    Member joebut1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    anchorage
    Posts
    407

    Default

    The structure scan says it is only good to 250'. Which should be good enough in most cases. Has anyone used it to that depth? Trying to justify spending the extra cash on it. Not being able to take the boat has got me shopping around for things, cant wait till spring time

  6. #6
    Member Kodiakfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Kodiak
    Posts
    212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Lowrance says "Award-winning Broadband Sounder™ comes standard on all HDS fishfinder models! Mark and display everything underwater at higher speeds and at greater depths to 3,000"

    Sounds like it will go deep. Assume that's in salt water since not too many fresh water places 3,000 feet deep. Nice unit.
    The broadband sounder is the conventional 2D sonar, and they will go that deep.

    I'd guess at the depths of 200' or so it'd be fine. It's not like conventional sonar that you can use at speed. SS loses itself at speed, so I'd have to think that moving along at 2-5kts you'd have plenty of return for detail. It just depends on how you're wanting to use it. If you're wanting to see a starfish at 200' nah, it ain't that awesome. But if you're wanting to see what a pinnacle looks like, a kelp edge or what bottom looks like 100' to each side of the boat I think it'd be great.

  7. #7

    Default

    I like those lowrances! Is that your downrigger ballcoming up to the surface? If all I had was a Lowrance, I'd be just fine! I'd be curious to use the structure scan.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiakfly View Post
    I have it and I use it extensively. That said, I've not used it in deep water. Quite the opposite, most of my use has been less than 50'. But I will say that it's pretty incredible what you can see and what yuo can make out. This will be my first season using it in deeper, saltwater and I can't wait to get it over kelp and pinnacles. For scanning bottom in 100'-200' of water...I dunnow how that'd look but I'm gonna find out this year.

    I like it because you can make out the difference in "crap" and (in my case, muskie fishing) actual weeds, and then, even what kind of weeds. I like looking for bait more on my conventional sonar, but for actual "structure" (hence it's name) it's awesome.

    Here I am in a channel and my conventional sonar shows me what could be alot of things. SS (downscan precisely) shows me it's weeds, and I can tell it's cabbage.

  8. #8
    Member Kodiakfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Kodiak
    Posts
    212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I like those lowrances! Is that your downrigger ballcoming up to the surface? If all I had was a Lowrance, I'd be just fine! I'd be curious to use the structure scan.
    Nope. Fly casting only! They are great units though.

  9. #9
    Member Roger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Alaska
    Posts
    2,050

    Default

    I put the HDS 7 Structure scan on my boat at the end of the year can not wait to try it out check out Dr Sonars page very good info
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/DO...R/277157308569
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

  10. #10
    Member AKCAPT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Seward
    Posts
    1,126

    Default

    I have the Simard version of the newest structure scan with thru hull transudcers and once you get used to how it works, you simply can't beat it. I can see which way to turn to stay on the kings or silvers and I can see what depth other people are dragging their balls. I can also see which side of the boat the bait and pinnacles are on, so most every drag or drift is right on the mark....

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •