Thread: Any M1 Experts on here?

Default Any M1 Experts on here?

I've got an opportunity to buy a pretty nice M1 but I don't know anything about them. I've got quite a bit of information about the rifle in question and would like someone who knows a thing or two to PM me and make sure I'm not getting screwed on the price.

Thanks!

I've shot expert with one but thats about all I know. The ones comming back from Korea in the late 1970's have an extra crossed out serial number under the operating rod and they brought about have the value of the not Korea (stayed American) left behind rifles.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

If you mean the American M1 Garand rifle I'd claim to know quite a bit about it. I own some and shot them competitively for years. I received my distinguished badge (legged out) with an M1 in 1972.

What do you want to know?
    There are Winchesters, Springfields, Harrington & Richardson (H&R) and International Harvester (IH), yeah the tractor people. The last two were Korean era only. Winchester and Springfield were original prime contractors for the rifle pre WWII and throughout. Its hard to find a very nice WRA or SA, they've had more war time.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Sorry, I meant M1 Carbine, more specifically, a General Motors one.

Well I'm no stranger to those either I have a Winchester that belonged to my dad, a National Postal Meter (NATIONAL POSTAL METER) and a Rock-Ola (ROCK-OLA) of my own. A lovely little rifle. A seven year old can shoot it. There were lots of contractors of that rifle and two companies (divisions) of General Motors. Inland manufacturing division of General Motors, marked INLAND DIV. Saginaw steering gear division of general Motors, marked SAGINAW SG Actually two one in Saginaw MI an one in Grand Rapids, MI. Both marked as above but slightly different stamp font. There some specifics of each, some contractors just made parts some didn't make barrels, some made many more than others.

Generally the Winchesters are still the most valuable with Rock-Ola the next because Rock-Ola made the fewest of any maker and they made the best looking stocks and hand guards. Also a contractor who never made a gun accepted by the government, IRWIN-PEDERSON this company was taken over and became Saginaw. Many parts stamped IRWIN-PEDESON are very valuable. I have one of their receivers that was never assembled into a gun.

Also there are M1's, M1A1's and the M2

I get this information from a book called "War Baby" by Larry Ruth There are two books but I just have the first volume.

What do you want to know?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Inland is the most common of the all the contractors. They made over two million guns. This little rifle is fascinating and all the stories of struggles in the manufacture of it and the huge number made in just a few years is an amazing feat of American ingenuity and drive. It's a great gun to study and collect.

I carried the M-2 most of the time in Viet Nam and it never failed me. I had it cut down and it was a wonderfull rifle for close in work.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Slight addition to Murphy's notes on the Garand. SA made rifles through WWII AND Korea. I've always thought the best Garands were SAs around the 6M sn range.

Hop you bought the Garand! It's my number one caribou hunting rifle!
    M1 Garand with Scout Scope for Hunting: http://youtu.be/4sk72mHJw9I