Thread: Homer Winter King Derby...Anyone?

Default Homer Winter King Derby...Anyone?

There are 4 to 5 of us looking to try this out of a kayak March 23. More the merrier and frankly safer.

Two years ago our small group managed to enter the first king ever off a kayak into the Anchor Point Derby, we are hoping to at least match that goal of getting a fish entered into this Homer Derby.

I've been compiling a new website for local kayak fishing in Southcentral Alaska. There's a section on Homer, Kings, and one for planning this trip if interested.

WWW.AlaskaKayakFisher.com

you know me, Im down. Good on you for making a website!

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    you know me, Im down. Good on you for making a website!
    I typical don't take much for granted but you wanting to fish, out of a kayak for kings... no brainer. Trying to get ready already. More the support stuff than actual fishing.

Let's keep the Anchor Point Calcutta King derby (mid May) and the Seldovia Human Powered fishing derby in mind as well (memorial day weekend). I will be ecstatic to be able to hit two of the three but I am shooting for all three!

Continuing to update the website AlaskaKayakFisher.com: relevant pages so far would include Kings/Chinook , Fishing Homer, winter derby planning page, and advanced research. Keep in mind I am a relative newbie to the K-Bay fishery. Always trying to learn something new.

Y'all might get a salmon shark! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    Y'all might get a salmon shark! Good luck!
    I am READY! I have the gear to go after them!!! Hoping to follow in the footsteps of these guys. These guys can get it done. Chris, Howard, Allen, and the one guy I don't know are avid Kayak Fisherman here!

70771d1185833249-400lb-salmon-shark-kayak-img_4118b-small-.jpg

Ok, so not only did I register, but I even paid the 50 bucks saying I won't get skunked. Lol. I clarified with the derby officials we can launch and land anywhere but all th rules apply like checking in. Cross your fingers for decent weather! But if the powerboats can go, we shouldn't have any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    Ok, so not only did I register, but I even paid the 50 bucks saying I won't get skunked. Lol. I clarified with the derby officials we can launch and land anywhere but all th rules apply like checking in. Cross your fingers for decent weather! But if the powerboats can go, we shouldn't have any problems.
    I think its shaping up to be a record-breaking year for entries and cash exchanging hands. With one of the warmest winters that I have seen in 40 years I'd say the odds are in favor of a big turnout. 2005 had 1039 anglers and 292 boats so that is the mark to beat. That was also the biggest 1st Place prize award of $21,800. 2nd place was $14,500 and 3rd was $11,500.

That ought to get you one of those high-fangled power props for your Hobie! Will you have a VHF radio on your yaks?

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Ugly View Post
    I think its shaping up to be a record-breaking year for entries and cash exchanging hands. With one of the warmest winters that I have seen in 40 years I'd say the odds are in favor of a big turnout. 2005 had 1039 anglers and 292 boats so that is the mark to beat. That was also the biggest 1st Place prize award of $21,800. 2nd place was $14,500 and 3rd was $11,500.

That ought to get you one of those high-fangled power props for your Hobie! Will you have a VHF radio on your yaks?
    Woohoo! More the merrier! That sounds great! Trying to educate myself a bit more for the side bets. Need to find out more about that in terms of how many people participate and etc.

I am thinking about motorizing one of my yaks for the fiancee so she can keep up and take pictures and such (she is more of a photo than fish person).

I will be carrying a handheld VHF and Cell Phone. These kayaks are amazingly well set up. I think for this derby, we might see a couple of Hobie Outbacks, maybe a Hobie Revolution 13, and maybe even an Adventure Island (Trimaran sail & Peddle). I think the bigger group will be targeting the Anchor Point Calcutta King derby in May.

We also will be carrying all the required safety gear as well. I have a fish finder and downrigger set up in my Hobie (https://sites.google.com/site/kayakf.../hobie-outback). The online tournament for the Pacific Northwest (http://aoty.northwestkayakanglers.com/) I am involved in doesn't allow for motors or sail power so I will be huffing and puffing to troll a 8 pound ball with gear.

Stop by and say hello if you see us!!!!!

My best day on the water in Homer. Video link is set to start at 1:51. First two minutes is just deploying downrigger and a cod.

Default A Day on the water

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    Woohoo! More the merrier! That sounds great! Trying to educate myself a bit more for the side bets. Need to find out more about that in terms of how many people participate and etc.

I will be carrying a handheld VHF and Cell Phone. These kayaks are amazingly well set up. I think for this derby, we might see a couple of Hobie Outbacks, maybe a Hobie Revolution 13, and maybe even an Adventure Island (Trimaran sail & Peddle). I think the bigger group will be targeting the Anchor Point Calcutta King derby in May.

Stop by and say hello if you see us!!!!!
    You guys kill me! You definitely need to really work hard on getting an UNpowered category in the derby for your group. It could mean getting a lot more folks joining the band wagon in the future as well as enjoying the sport throughout the year too. Especially if the side category was just a bonus and you could still enter your big money fish in the regular category.

That Islander trolling under sail might need to drag a bucket to keep down to the right troll speed!!

I went out with that "discount" charter guy on 2/28. Got matched up with a couple of really nice guys to be out fishing with too. (Always a plus!) Great conversation and company to bridge the slower parts of a beautiful day. We hit a double 5 minutes after the four lines were down and had two kings bleeding out on the deck at exactly 47 minutes after we cleared the harbor jetty. Fishing off Seldovia Bay but away from the "fleet". Too easy to fish out an area quickly when a lot of boats are working so we worked our own "school." Had a number of additional hookups after that but they all were long distance releases. Pretty much fished out that spot and moved down the coast by ourselves. Just minutes after the lines were down we had rods popping all over the place again. After cleaning out that "hole" we worked down to 4th of July where again we had the same luck from the start. First drop in and it was game on again with a triple hit. Then we started hitting some healthy cod and a halibut. All in all we had 13 king takedowns, limited on six kings, released a 6# we couldn't punch and took home a sack load of cod fillets for many fish n chips meals not to mention a few deep fried halibut sandwiches. Biggest fish was 14.5# and a white king at that.

The skipper said that the day before this same area was void of cod and halibut (although they took back 5 kings in the last couple of hours that day) and today was a total change with a variety of baitfish and food moving into the area. Our gut piles showed some of the kings feeding on baby Pacific cod and some sandlance, and one that had some other boat's herring in its belly!! Cod were loaded with shrimp (not krill), snails, and EGGS, getting ready to spawn it appears. Lots of eggs! Grrrr!

So Kardinal looks like the bay is starting to fill with the springtime feast to draw in and fatten up more feeder kings for the derby. One king the skipper got earlier in the week had hooligan in its belly! So the spring run of hoolies are beginning to move in and stage before heading up the Inlet.

I'm almost positive I'll be out on the water on derby day....and maybe for a few days of scouting beforehand too. I'll be sure to pass on some insider tips (confidentially of course) to help you peddle-power boys get into some money too! ;-) I think we can get the numbers up to 1200 players this year (warm winter and ice-free ramp and harbor=BIG turnout) with a little tactical marketing efforts () which could put #1 fish over the $25,000 prize mark with that kind of a turnout. You know the power of the press.

Photo: We wouldn't have kept the baby but it was a bleeder so the right thing to do was put it in the box. (Kudos to the skipper's honesty.) Thus the 6#'er released later.
    13kingscodhallie2-28-13.jpg

P.S. Loved the vid. Better get your butt on that stair climber starting NOW if you plan to be competitive! heheh. P.S.S. Insider Tip: There was some respectable showings of baitfish in the water from the can to the spit. And a big bunch just off the coast guard dock with a lot of birds working. Might be some kings lurking. Remember one year the winning derby fish was caught just off the spit.

3:50PM Oh this just in. That discount guy is out there again today fishing this side of rougher than xxxx. Just received this photo from his phone. Pretty ladyfisher too!

"THREE in the Box so far!"
    3-1-13IMG0155.jpg

Better start sharpening those hooks Rudy and get to Homer this weekend for some practice!

Nice!! No fish but it's a nice day so far!!!

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-I9...8FD1E021B4.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NICE seas! Thursday when we were out there the water temperature started at 37.8 F and by late afternoon it was hitting 38.5 degrees. Could be the reason there is new food coming into the area. Plus it won't be long before herring and hooligan will be migrating. Looks like you are having a day worth the trip down there! Good luck.

Oh yeah, those WERE cod eggs in those fish we caught on Thursday. Our cod spawn in March around here as it turns out. Hmm. Right on schedule. WEIRD egg clusters.....like sheep intestines or human brain tissue. First time I ever saw that.

I think you saw the milt maybe?? Delicacy in Japan...shirako. Nothing today. Hardly any bait. 3 hours was plenty for the first of the year trip. All systems checked out! Just banking the hours till the next strike!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, ya got me on that one. I Googled it up. "Popular dish in Japanese PUBS!" Yeah I'd have to be drunk! Back in my youth I had some friends raised up on a homestead here that just loved frying up salmon milt and eating it. Also frying up salmon roe until it popped like popcorn. They also made a mean fish head soup.

I'll stick with the American Plan menu, please.