Thread: Bear Safety

Default Bear Safety

Coming to AK this summer to flyfish for a week, just wanted some input on bear safety, what others do concerning this matter. Is bear spray sufficient? Should we arm ourselves? What time is too late to be on the rivers? Etc... I appreciate any info. in advance.

JM-

Default bear safety..

Probably a thousand posts on this topic on this forum...check the archives...also suggest the ADFG website; click on Bear Safety. There are lots of opinions on this topic. Me, I carry a .454 Casul, I also tend to put myself in "high probability areas" at "bear time"..that is isolated remote areas very early in the a.m. and very late in the p.m..cause that is when the fish bite. I also shoot a lot and like it. Probably never have to use the big boomer, but I just "feel good" with it on.. I like things that go BOOM vs. pssst... btw there have been two reported maulings already this year and the bears are just now comming out of their dens!

Where did these maulings happen?

Thanks for the tip... I did see there are plenty of posts concerning this matter (after I posted). I lived in Anchorage until I was 6. First time back to AK in 31 yrs. Not so common back then to see bears while out... Now from what I read, it's not so common not to see bears. Just remember we (family) had a nasty bear come thru our campground at Byers (sp) Lake before bear proof trash cans that left quite an impression on me.

Thanks for the quick response to my post.

Quote Originally Posted by floridafisherman View Post
    Probably a thousand posts on this topic on this forum...check the archives...also suggest the ADFG website; click on Bear Safety. There are lots of opinions on this topic. Me, I carry a .454 Casul, I also tend to put myself in "high probability areas" at "bear time"..that is isolated remote areas very early in the a.m. and very late in the p.m..cause that is when the fish bite. I also shoot a lot and like it. Probably never have to use the big boomer, but I just "feel good" with it on.. I like things that go BOOM vs. pssst... btw there have been two reported maulings already this year and the bears are just now comming out of their dens!
    Both my dad and I also carry the .454 Casul. My dad has the first Black bear ever taken with a Casul (he was field testing for Dick Casul), and it was in self defence from about 8 feet away...Yes, it was a rather unique incident and no, pepper spray would not have helped...at all.

I would echo the same...I tend to put myself in areas where there are few people...and more bears.

Of course...the .454 Casul works well on moose too