Thread: Whitter Black Cod

Default Whitter Black Cod

Just curious on how many people fish for black cod out of Whitter. I'm thinking of maybe giving it a shot this summer.
    Wondering how deep people typically fish for them.. How much wieght they use.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I do...but I use a longline.

We start catching them around 1,500' but actually target them between 1,800' and 2,600'. As for sportfishing them, the only thing I can say is that the shallowest we've ever caught them is around 1,200', though I know some sportfishermen have caught them shallower than that.

Boy, a long way to reel up to check if you still have bait on.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Boy, a long way to reel up to check if you still have bait on.
    Ha! No doubt. I would choose octopus if I were sportfishing them for that very reason. Squid is the #1 choice for black cod commercial fishermen, but herring, cod, octopus, or any other bait seems to work - I'd go with octopus so that it doesn't fall off. Of course, the other problem is that you might drop it 1,500' or more only to hook into an arrowtooth flounder, skate, tiny halibut, sleeper shark, or something else entirely. The concentration of black cod gets greater the deeper you go, but there is an abundance of other species down there as well.

I've heard Zaikof bay on the N end of Montague in 1500 feet of water is worth fishing for black cod. If I was sportfishing for them I'd be running plastics and bait, that way you're still fishing if you get stripped of bait. One of these days I'll give it a try, but that's 5 times deeper than I prefer to fish!
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I tried a few times last summer when we had perfect weather days. I drifted the big flat E of Knight Island and didn't catch anything. I tried several other spots too. Guess I'll have to keep at it this year. I picked up a Daiwa Megatwin 750 just for catching Sablefish. Umm. No, it was for the wife while halibut fishing....... I only have a tad bit over 2100' of braid, so guess I'm right on the edge of good fishing then.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Fall of 2011 We caught one between Seal Rocks and Hinchinbrook in about 300'
    Matt- Black Cod.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Bob View Post
    Fall of 2011 We caught one between Seal Rocks and Hinchinbrook in about 300'
    Matt- Black Cod.jpg
    WOW!

I've never seen a black cod that big! Never caught one but now we're going to try!

Very nice. That picture gives me hope now....
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I have always wanted to try an alvey reef king or queen for some of this type of fishing.
    I own an alvey surfcast reel and I am still learning to cast it to its full potential but I do like it.
    The reef king/queen hold over a kilometer of line.
    If you click on this link then on the "Alvey deep sea" video you will see what I am talking about.
    He is fishing over 250 fathoms. That's over 1,200 feet deep. It takes him about 8 minutes to reach bottom using 6 polunds of weight.
    http://www.alveyusa.com/video-tutorials/
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I don't know about the sound but black cod can be found in resurrection bay. Think straight line out from salmon streams in deep water they're not usually hogs but they're there. Plus it's a lot cheaper than running to Montague/Hinchenbrook.