Thread: Kimber MT 280 AI Feeding Issues

Default Kimber MT 280 AI Feeding Issues

Well I got the 280 AI this morning...Was going to buy one from my buddy that I know feeds and shoots great but he backed out which I can't blame him for. Ended up going to Chimos and getting the one in there that for some reason has been there for a long time...I've been going in there and fondling it like Wayne and the guitar in Wayne's World, well today she became mine. Picked up a box of Nosler 140gr Accubonds and found out she has feeding problems, if you fed it slow it would get hung up, fast worked but scratched up the case pretty good and had quite a bit of gold flakes in the magazine. It is obvious that the ramp needs to be filed down which I could do but don't want to mess up something more serious than It already is. I know this is a common issue and I now see why when I look at that sharp neck on the AI and the steepness of the feed ramp, recipe for failure. This is the reason I have been buying Brownings and Winchesters, you know they will feed fine and shoot great right out of the box which they have...I just had to have a Kimber MT. So what have those of you done with your non-feeding kimbers?

Check out this thread, Lujon had the same issue, he sanded the rails with some emory cloth.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...mm-08-to-280AI
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Yup, rounded up some emory cloth and got it to feed almost perfectly, thank you Stid and Lujon..Didn't have to take too much off either. Now I just need to get to the range and see if it shoots.

Very interesting, I purchased one last spring and had the exact same issue, it had little burrs on the underside of the raceway and right by the feed ramp. Took a small file and finished it up by polishing it and the feed ramp with the Dremel and some jewelers polish. Now the rounds jump into the chamber but, I was bummed that it was not addressed at Kimber. Interesting I'm fortunate enough to have a 280Ai, 308, 300wsm, 325wsm, and a 338 Federal (long story but you can never have too many) and I have set up two other 300wsm and this is the only one that I have ever had a problem with. This is the fourth 280 that I have heard about with this issue??? Good news is they have all shot great and mine really likes the Nosler 140 gr. Accubonds shoots great and i used it to take a beautiful ram at 381 yards last year. The only reason that I took the shoot was the ideal shooting position, I had practiced at 400 and I had confidence that the gun could shoot better than I could. Have fun with your new gun...

Jewelers Polish? I was sitting here thinking about some kind of coating to put on the ramp that may help and also cover up the scratches from the emery cloth..where would I get some of this and what the H is it...Was considering just plain clear nail polish.

I used Dremel polishing compound no 421 with the bullet shaped polishing cone, it worked great created a super smooth polished surface. Not sure what a real gunsmith would use but, it worked very well for me...

I got it to feed fine with just emery cloth but it still scratches up the cases pretty bad, watching it feed it appears the top of the internal magazine is too tight and as the round is feeding into the chamber it is scratching the back of the case..looks like a easy fix with the dremel. I see no issue with reducing this hook, only possiblity would be it wouldn't guide the round into the chamber properly..will have to take it slow. I think I'll send Kimber a bill for having to work on their brand new rifle just to get a round to chamber properly in a $1250 rifle.

Had the same issue, I first removed all the burrs from the edge of the raceway and then I still had some scratching of my cases. Looking a little deeper I found a couple of more on the corners/edges of the feed ramp. In total, I probably took off four or five burrs. Once I got them all cleaned up and polished up no more scratches on my cases. Best of luck...

I have to unbolt my action to replace the trigger guard when I get home so I might as well pick up some of that polishing compound as well. Sounds like a good way to clean things up.

Quote Originally Posted by zpoehler View Post
    I think I'll send Kimber a bill for having to work on their brand new rifle just to get a round to chamber properly in a $1250 rifle.
    Welcome to the world of Kimber firearms.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by zpoehler View Post
    Yup, rounded up some emory cloth and got it to feed almost perfectly, thank you Stid and Lujon..Didn't have to take too much off either. Now I just need to get to the range and see if it shoots.
    Too bad you had to go through that with a new rifle! Hopefully it's a shooter for you. Do you reload?

I do not reload yet, but with a 325 wsm, 270 wsm and now 280 AI I will be reloading, will hopefully see tomorrow if it will shoot the nosler 140 gr accubonds.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I have to unbolt my action to replace the trigger guard when I get home so I might as well pick up some of that polishing compound as well. Sounds like a good way to clean things up.
    LuJon, It worked great and i have been considering doing on my other rifles just for GP. I am guessing that you got a light weight trigger guard, I have been thinking of doing the same but have not looked into it yet. If you do not mind sharing, where did you get yours?

I ordered if from the guy advertising them on guns america. He was quick and easy to deal with.

Turns out she is a shooter..after breaking the barrel in I shot four 3 shot groups...2 were right at 1" and the other 2 were in the 1.25" to 1.5" area at 100 yds...Did not expect much better for being below freezing...my x-bolt 270 wsm wouldn't even shoot under an inch today with it's 130gr tsx and that will usually shoot .5" per 3 shot group.

Quote Originally Posted by GDinAK View Post
    LuJon, It worked great and i have been considering doing on my other rifles just for GP. I am guessing that you got a light weight trigger guard, I have been thinking of doing the same but have not looked into it yet. If you do not mind sharing, where did you get yours?
    I got mine off eBay. I'm sure it's the same guy. It was a exact fit and looks good