Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DB234 Kiliuda Bay Brown Bear Hunt

Default DB234 Kiliuda Bay Brown Bear Hunt

Just looking for advice from anyone. Especially anyone who has been there on a hunt. Right now I plan to fly in with either Seahawk or Andrews both are highly recommended. Im looking to rent the entire camp set up to include an inflatable zodiak with motor from Kodiak Kamps. Ive done some hunting up here and got a few Caribou and Moose but never done a bear hunt. I'm looking at this as a once in a lifetime adventure and can't wait, but the price of a guided hunt is just too much. Ive done alot of looking at maps and imagery but just not sure where to set camp and what area to focus on. Im looking to hunt from 20 APR to the 5 MAY timeframe. Also as of right now I dont have a partner to watch my six.

Any help is appriciated

Thanks Much

Cavtrooper i have never hunted Kiliuda for bear but, I do live in Kodiak and if I can help in anyway with logistics or otherwise, just drop me a PM. I drew Alliulik Bear this spring as well so, I totally understand where you are coming from. If you have not already done so, I would highly recommend talking with Larry Van Daele and John Crye biologist from ADFG here in Kodiak 486-1880 they have a wealth of knowledge and are willing to share. Best of luck...

Find a vantage point that you can see miles and miles and park your butt a glass, glass, glass.. Do not make the mistake of spreading your scent all over the place or you will run all the big bear out...

Thanks for the number. I wrote Larry an email today, if I don't hear from him ill try a call. And yes I plan to set and scan. Does a guy need to be up high or Is setting in the bottom of the drainage glassing up at the slopes sufficient. Based on the terrain of the bay it looks like climbing high wold only allow me to see one slope while being low would allow me to glass two.

Quote Originally Posted by cavtrooper94 View Post
    Thanks for the number. I wrote Larry an email today, if I don't hear from him ill try a call. And yes I plan to set and scan. Does a guy need to be up high or Is setting in the bottom of the drainage glassing up at the slopes sufficient. Based on the terrain of the bay it looks like climbing high wold only allow me to see one slope while being low would allow me to glass two.
    Sounds like you answered your own question and if you suspect and area is holding a big bear be very careful of the wind and its direction...Every area I hunt or guide is different but every animal I kill has one thing in common..... Patience and persistence in spotting.... No special secrets just spot as much area you can every possible moment you have..

Thanks Bear

i just ask a lot of questions, especially about things I don't know much about

Quote Originally Posted by cavtrooper94 View Post
    Thanks Bear

i just ask a lot of questions, especially about things I don't know much about
    I would rather see you ask a hundred questions round here and come home successful then come home unsuccessful cause you didn't ask one...

Here's a DB 234 Kiliuda Bear... I saw 30+ Bears on that hunt. It's a major denning area... Just prepare to hike up high, and head to the back of the Valleys! Having a Zodiac is good idea.

Wow, beautiful bear, who did your taxidermy and what was his measurements if you do not mind (practicing my judging skills)? Did you post the story? Congrats SC you mustbe jacked cavtrooper....

Tried to send a PM, but your box is full.

It's been a few years since my wife and I hunted there, but I'd be glad to share whatever info I can. The wife got a nice bear there. The Zodiac definitely opens up some options, but there are also drawbacks.

Give me a call and I'll be glad to discuss.

Unfortunately, I'm near Anchorage or my wife and I would be glad to sit down with you and look over some maps.

Also, a really good DVD to buy is "Skinning and Field Care of Alaska Bears" by Chris Batin.

regards,

Dave McClannahan, CMSgt, USAF (retired)
    Lone Wolf Taxidermy and Wildlife Artistry
    Eagle River AK

(907) 440-4135 cell

Lone Wolf,

I cleared it out a little. Sorry about that. Im supposed to be moving down to JBER soon and will most likely live in Eagle River. Ill be sure to give you a call.

Sounds good. Look forward to offering any info, even if it's limited.

Quote Originally Posted by GDinAK View Post
    Wow, beautiful bear, who did your taxidermy and what was his measurements if you do not mind (practicing my judging skills)? Did you post the story? Congrats SC you mustbe jacked cavtrooper....
    9' 6" and 27" skull

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
    Here's a DB 234 Kiliuda Bear... I saw 30+ Bears on that hunt. It's a major denning area... Just prepare to hike up high, and head to the back of the Valleys! Having a Zodiac is good idea.
    That is incredible!!! If I were to take one like that, I could die a happy man. I would love to talk to you about your entire hunt, if you ever had the time.

Also, a really good DVD to buy is "Skinning and Field Care of Alaska Bears" by Chris Batin.

I bought that video right after I drew this tag. It's a good video. I've done a lot of skinning, but not so much on the turning the lips and ears. Of this whole trip the thing I fear the most is the skinning if I don't find a partner. I'm sure ill get it done. I see you do taxidermy in Eagle River. I had spoke to a taxidermist up here but now that I'm moving South ill need to find a new one. Hopefully I bring one of these magnificent beast home with me.

I wouldn't stress out about turning the lips and ears... Slow and tedious. Hard to mess up at that speed! haha

Kiliuda is a "Tough" hunt. I wouldn't want to do it alone. We spent many a night "Spiked out" far away from camp. That second backpack proved to be priceless on the final pack. Gear and a wet hide! Took 6 hours of non-stop packing. We were 3 miles from our Spike camp. Another mile to the Zodiac, and then a pretty scary ride across the Bay to base Camp. Wish you Luck!

After looking at the private land map that I found on the AF&G website it looks like **** near every inch of shoreline a guy might try to walk in from and set up camp is either private or native owned. Can anybody comment on how you delt with this? Is there a tresspass fee or something. Some of it just says private doesn't say who owns it or how to get ahold of them.

Thanks Much

I might suggest different approach. Call Larry at Kiluda Bay Adventures lodge. Warm dry bed, good hot food, showers, boats and knowledge of the bears in the bay oh ya and resonably priced lodging and transportation. Good Luck Louie

Louie

I second alaskalouie.. Call Larry Jarrett. He has a nice lodge and very hospitable. I camped quite a ways from the lodge. But, not long after Seahawk dropped us off, I saw a Skiff coming around the corner from the lodge. He was a camp hand for Larry. He welcomed us to the Bay and proceeded to offload a bunch of split Cedar firewood for us! I was in Awe! We visited with them at the Lodge at the end of the hunt, and I gave them everything that I didn't want to ship home (gas,food,booze, etc.). Larry is a Class act for sure.

That's a nice bear and a sweet mount supercub!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast