Thread: Well here it is -testing starts!

Default Well here it is -testing starts!

Well here it is My 300WBY custom and tomorrow I begin to prove or disprove the possibilities of a 300WBY shooting from 150gr to 240grs with success hopefully shooting 240grs at 2750 with accuracy

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Thumbs up 300 Wby

Tell me you didn't take that last photo of your rifle while it was resting on your checkbook? That is a bad omen...like throwing a hat on a bed or walking under a ladder!

Just kidding of course. I am not sure you can get 240 up to the speed you are looking for. Let me know if you get close. I usually stick with 180 to 185 for longer range work. You are planning on using this as more of an up close (100 yards or less) bear gun right?

BTW, it looks great!

Matt

Default Scope

Please tell me the rear bell of the scope is not resting on the base! That scope is mounted awfully far forward.

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    Please tell me the rear bell of the scope is not resting on the base! That scope is mounted awfully far forward.
    No it is not, it is just the angle of the picture.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by Matt M View Post
    Tell me you didn't take that last photo of your rifle while it was resting on your checkbook? That is a bad omen...like throwing a hat on a bed or walking under a ladder!

Just kidding of course. I am not sure you can get 240 up to the speed you are looking for. Let me know if you get close. I usually stick with 180 to 185 for longer range work. You are planning on using this as more of an up close (100 yards or less) bear gun right?

BTW, it looks great!

Matt
    Matt, look at the picture of my bullet and you will see what I am trying to get out of it, it can shoot flat out to 300 if I get the velocity I want.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Talking Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Matt, look at the picture of my bullet and you will see what I am trying to get out of it, it can shoot flat out to 300 if I get the velocity I want.

I looked at some data for Retumbo powder. Looks like you might be able to make it there with a 240 grain bullet. Should be interesting trying. I would be curious to see what you get for a coefficient of the chrono.

If that winds up being your zero to 300 yard cartridge, I am thinking it is going to be a humdinger.

Blessings,

Matt M

Quote Originally Posted by Matt M View Post
    I looked at some data for Retumbo powder. Looks like you might be able to make it there with a 240 grain bullet. Should be interesting trying. I would be curious to see what you get for a coefficient of the chrono.

If that winds up being your zero to 300 yard cartridge, I am thinking it is going to be a humdinger.

Blessings,

Matt M
    You know with all the slow burning powder today like Ramshot Big Boy, Accurate MagPro, Hodgdon H1000, RL-22 and those we have mentioned I believe I can get there.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS