Thread: Anyone sporting the new Scarpa Wrangell GTX's?

Default Anyone sporting the new Scarpa Wrangell GTX's?

I can get 1/2 off Scarpa stuff (work discount) and was wondering if anyone has used these boots mountain hunting. I have a pair of Scarpa Barun GTX boots that served me well for going on three + years (hunting, welding, and working on the mountain). But their time is near. The Wrangell's look like they'll be a pretty solid boot and at 1/2 price tough to say no to. I have a pair of size 10.5 koflach's that are a bit big and I just ain't feelin' it with the plastics. Spending 50% of the winter in ski boots makes it hard to want anymore plastic on my feet. Any takers on the Koflach's just PM me and we can talk.

Thanks for any insight.

I ordered a pair of Scarpa Omega's yesterday!
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

I picked up a pair of Wrangells a few weeks ago and have been wearing them everyday since. I haven't done any serious hiking in them yet, but so far they are much more comfortable than I anticipated.
    Alpine is awesome...

You don't have enough post to receive PMs send me an email on the Koflachs, are they the new style? Mens US 10.5? How much shipped?

stid2677@aol.com
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    You don't have enough post to receive PMs send me an email on the Koflachs, are they the new style? Mens US 10.5? How much shipped?

stid2677@aol.com
    Remember a 10.5 is actually an 11 shell with a 10.5 liner.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Remember a 10.5 is actually an 11 shell with a 10.5 liner.
    Yea, I have a 10 now and with the glacier socks it is just a tab too tight.
    Founding Member

Hmmmmmm.....yours might fit me...???!!!......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Intution sells liners that be used to adjust fit. They have low, med and hi volume and a guide to choose the right one. I'm thinking I could go with low volume liners and solve my fit with the GS, but if I could pick up another pair for the right price I would.
    Founding Member

how is the shell fit? Take the liner out and put your bare foot in the boot. With your toes touching the end of the boots how much space between your heel and the shell? You want 1.5 cm, if they're newish they should feel tight. The liners will pack out a little and fit you well until they're dead.

Quote Originally Posted by chugachjed View Post
    how is the shell fit? Take the liner out and put your bare foot in the boot. With your toes touching the end of the boots how much space between your heel and the shell? You want 1.5 cm, if they're newish they should feel tight. The liners will pack out a little and fit you well until they're dead.
    I have lots of time in the boots, the issue is I heat molded them before I got the Glacier Socks which are waders more than socks that are worn between the liner and the shell. This made them just a tad too tight...

So getting one of these...

Cost me 2 of these....and since they still have not grown back, I would like to prevent it from happening again.

Founding Member

Steve just curious as to what size street shoes you normally wear. I have always found in plastics, both my koflach and my scarpa invernos that they are a size bigger then my street shoes....likely I assume besides maybe just sizing differences,due to glacier socks and thick hunting socks
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Steve just curious as to what size street shoes you normally wear. I have always found in plastics, both my koflach and my scarpa invernos that they are a size bigger then my street shoes....likely I assume besides maybe just sizing differences,due to glacier socks and thick hunting socks
    Dave
    My street shoes are 9.5 and my Koflach boots are a US size 10, they fit great without the GS, with them they are just a touch too tight. I need either a 1/2 size larger or a low volume liner.
    Founding Member

My street shoes are 9.5 and my Koflach boots are a US size 10, they fit great without the GS, with them they are just a touch too tight. I need either a 1/2 size larger or a low volume liner.
    Thanks Steve seems to be the concensus among most that I ask.... A half to a full size bigger for the plastics..

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Thanks Steve seems to be the concensus among most that I ask.... A half to a full size bigger for the plastics..
    Pretty much. My giant hooves measure 13.5 on the scale, plastics are a 14US. I might try a 13.5US liner but have to pick up a few accessories before I know for sure.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I have lots of time in the boots, the issue is I heat molded them before I got the Glacier Socks which are waders more than socks that are worn between the liner and the shell. This made them just a tad too tight...

So getting one of these...

Cost me 2 of these....and since they still have not grown back, I would like to prevent it from happening again.

Hey mine too. Except I hope mine never grow back.
    FWIW I only wear the glacier sock to cross streams and off when I'm across. Big enough for the glacier sock to be comfortable means too big means blisters without the sock.