Thread: 2013 Irondog.........very little snow, what's it gonna be like?

Default 2013 Irondog.........very little snow, what's it gonna be like?

Which machines will break the most? I'm guessing Arctic Cats. All rude comments about all makes of machines are welcome.

Who's gonna win it? Better guess before the start of the race. My prediction: Team 16 Minnick/Olstad Time for that darn Ski Doo soap box to get put back in the closet.

Arctic cat did have a lot of problems last year especially certain production sleds. You would think they would have worked those bugs out by now. At the very least on their factory sponsored race team sleds. Will be interesting to see how their new engines do next year.
    As for the winners #11 Mckenna/Vanmeter are going to be tough to beat again.
    Being as team #17 Davis/Palin has switched from Green to Yellow they will be a top contender again as well.
    After 2 great Cains Quest seasons for Ski Doo (1st 2nd 3rd in 2011 and 1st and 3rd in 2012) and last years Irondog win I think we will see more winning Skidoo teams this year and in years to come in distance/endurance racing.
    Ski Doo also has some great snowcross teams out there (Robbie Malinoski) giving Tucker Hibbert a run for his money and if BRP will keep up with factory sponsorship They should do well in all snowmobile racing.
    I honestly believe factory sponsorship goes a long way and it takes both great riders and factory help in making the best machines possible to make a great winning race team.
    Plus factory sponsorship makes sure any problems race teams incour can be fixed,re-engineered for their production model sleds that us non racers are buying.
    I predict the Ski Doo soapbox will just get taller. Probably for the same reasons they outsell the competition and have for the last 10 years or so.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

no doubt you'll see alot of yellow finishers. Last season, I recall team 16 bout ready to win the whole shabang.....but a breakdown stopped em up cold. This is going to be a very interesting race, the low snow years simply become more a test of machine and a test of mental endurance.

Who can forget the fire team #8 had a couple of years ago. Could easily have been a victory for a yellow team if not for the tank being overfilled by irondog people and leaking all over the hot exhaust.
    Lots of variables in a race like this thats for sure.

In a way it's kinda nice that the conditions will be such that there are no sure bets and just finishing is a big accomplishment as in the early years of the race. It'll be interesting to see how strategies play out as balaning a teams speed to keep the sled in one piece will likely be an important component in this years race.

It's not just the machines that are going to take a beating, the riders are also going to take a beating. I hope it's a safe race.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Who can forget the fire team #8 had a couple of years ago. Could easily have been a victory for a yellow team if not for the tank being overfilled by irondog people and leaking all over the hot exhaust.
    Yeah, that was a pretty raw deal. One of the worst moments of that race, they certainly would've taken it. Goes to show....yah never know what's gonna happen.

I'm cheering for team 10 Morgan/ Olds again this year. I'd also like to see Aklsted and Johnson get rid of all their bad luck. I think most of the low snow conditions are going to be only the very very first part of the race. I'm pretty sure there is plenty out past Skwentna
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Anyone able to finding the current standings? Anyone pass Skwentna?

Team 10. I hope Morgan and Olds take it. Chris is a great guy. This will be Chris Old's third time winning if he pulls it out. I hope McKenna scratches! That guy is a punk!

Does anyone have any updates on the plane crash today out at Puntilla/ rainy pass?
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

When I was coming back from canwell yesterday, there were two ambulances at one of the trailheads, hope everyone is alright. Looks like team 10 was the first ones into McGrath, mandatory 14 hr down time.

So......Polaris first in, nice to see! Where dah yellow stuff??

2 and 3 I believe Maina. The crash was today. There have been a few posts about it confirming it was Rob Stone from Alaska outdoors television. Prayers to the Stone family needed from all. They were flying for team 25 who is in 3rd place

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Where dah yellow stuff??
    The yellow stuff knows that the race isn't won on the first day. Congratulations to my step brother Dusty VanMeter on his fifth Iron Dog win and third on the yellow stuff, two in a row. By the way, two of those wins on the yellow stuff set the low time record on the race. Once with Mark Carr and last year with Marc McKenna.

Way to go Dusty and Marc!!!
    Looks like the yellow teams are going to be a force to recon with for awhile in all forms of snowmachine racing.
    1st and second fourth and fifth were all yellow teams. Four of the top five.
    It's too bad team 23 Dick/Quam had mechanical problems.They are factory sponsored riders and I heard Brian Dick works for Arctic Cat and made sure those sleds were built right starting on the factory floor but it is the irondog and anything can happen.
    I guess there is a reason Skidoo sells the most sleds and why racers are switching brands.

Well Mainer looks like you were right the Arctic cats did break down.What a bummer for team 23 with their broken jackshaft.

I thought this TV interview was cool. Team 17 had nothing but praise for their sleds.
    http://www.ktuu.com/videogallery/745...s)#pl-73616433
    Look for the same results next year in my opinion. GO DOO!!