Thread: Anyone owned a Boulton Explorer?

Default Anyone owned a Boulton Explorer?

I've been looking at all the different welded aluminum boats for Alaska recently and I really like the design and layout of the 26' Boulton Explorer, especially compared to a comparable model Hewes. On the forums here though there seems to be very little written about Boulton. Wondering if there's any reason for that other than they are a smaller company and also if any Boulton owners have anything positive or negative to share?

A boulton explorer or skiff boss pilothouse has been on my short list. My neighbor at a remote island near Juneau has 6 explorers in their charter lodge fleet.

Sobie2

Buddy in the next culd de sac had one. Used to talk to him about boats and fishing on my daily walks. He said the boat was "OK". Thought it was worth the price he paid for it used and I remember his two gripes being the electrical wiring system was cheesy and the final fit and finish had a lot of corners cut when final assembly was completed. He didnt mention any serious problems.

I was looking at the Boulton in '07 when I bought my boat. The layout was nice, pricing was competitive, but the dealer at the time was the pits. I walked out of their showroom, into Dewey's and laid out my money and bought my boat. Have never looked back.

There are a few different ways to get a Boulton Pilothouse. The Sea Skiff with the Skiff Boss cab, the Explorer, and the Kodiak. In the Sea Skiff and Explorer you can up the width by 1' or get the Commercial C model with a reverse chine. The Sea Skiff with the Boss cab does not have a vee berth, while the Explorer does. The Kodiak is a really big boat. You can get a 22' Sea Skiff with the Boss cab for about $60k, the 24' Explorer is closer to $75k. Redwood Marine in California has a lot of Boulton Pilothouse photos in their Hall of Fame section on their site. Locally Storm Chasers Marine orders their boats with ABYC wiring. In my neck of the woods Willie's Marine does Boultons. I am really thinking about one based on price, though Willie's Marine also carries the Alumaweld Pacific and they say those are beating the Boultons on price (slightly). But Boultons are a full custom boat. Hewescraft Pilothouses are over priced but well optioned but less customizable, and similar in construction as the Boulton. All three builders boats will last a long time in Alaskan conditions. Wooldridge is a further step up, and possibly more fuel efficient.

I am looking at either the 22' or 24' I have been waffling over a pilothouse or going back to the Hewescraft OceanPro (or Weldcraft OceanKing) because I like to beach hunt and beach the boat for the family at our cabin and remote beaches though. I hope to make up my mind this summer!

Sobie2