Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your no tag back up plan??

Default What's your no tag back up plan??

So many of us will more than likely have to drop to our backup plans after this Friday. So what's your plan's for this fall if you don't draw??

Me, I'm going Goat hunting reguardless here on Kodiak in early Sept, just be a little longer plane ride if I don't draw a tag. I'd really like to chase a ram, but I can't make it in Aug as my family visits from the 7th-14th and the Wounded Warriors show up the 17th, and I don't miss those guys. So I think my backup plan is to go back to Kenai/Cooper area, stay for 3 weeks, see teh fall colors, chase rainbows on the crappy days, go hiking and chase bears on clear days, then spend the evenings sitting next to the fire drinking a cold one on the beach with my puppy. Kodiak deer will get theirs too, but that's not a big vacation for me.

Sell it all and give up.

This sounds like you're looking for a date. Mr. Strahan, do you think we could get a "personals" section on here?
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Same as every year for the past 5. Hunt locally and hope to find a stupid spike/fork with easy ATV access on a dry cool day!

My usual general season moose hunting area.

Actually, the draws are backup plans. I never "Plan" to get drawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    I'll second that. If I had to rely on my drawing odds I wouldn't do much hunting. I plan my hunting season as if I will not draw a tag at all. 3 tags in 15 years is not good odds.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Me too, a draw is a bonus that changes the normal hunting plans. I sure could use that buffalo tag this year though....
    BK

Good point. Plan A is spend 25/30 of September over a decoy spread. Plan B is to use my DS203 if I have a few days left over
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

If we film any draw hunts this season I'll be surprised. The scheduled is already packed with non-draw hunts. Love ALASKA!
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

I'll be out in DLG with the guys chasing moose. Actually hoping I don't draw this year as I'd really like to pack a moose into the freezer (we had a lean year last year) and then plan on spending the next two septembers either chasing a sheep (would be the first for me) or finding a rocky mountain elk opportunity with the bow.

I also consider drawing a tag to be an inconvenience and a departure from an actual plan. My general belief is MOST of us would do better to premeditatively select intelligent Harvest or Regsitration tags and that they will offer us better and more consistent results and opportunity to have a good hunt.

That said, I was happy to draw a Shishmeref ox tag a few years ago and even more so, a Mt. Harper sheep tag in 2010 and to have changed my plans! I consider the fall Unimak brown bear tag I had as an expensive waste of time; I would have been better off to go to my routine Registration spot.

Oh yeah, I also drew a Huslia area moose tag a few years ago and the moose hunting sucked BUT my consolation prize of a wolf with a longbow (avatar photo) madeup for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    So many of us will more than likely have to drop to our backup plans after this Friday. So what's your plan's for this fall if you don't draw??
    For me, a draw hunt is an afterthought. I make my plans for the general harvest season. But I come from the old school as far as management and draws are concerned. Back in the day it was all general hunting except for cow, or doe or other female draws. We didn't have all the special ram/bull/trophy draws. States found out they could make more money with more special drawing hunts and it all went to H E double hockey sticks. I don't play the draw game much any more, but when I do, it's usually something that will supplement a hunt I already have planned, like a cow tag or an any bull tag in a spike/fork/50 inch unit.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Let me see…all of June and July, I’ll be scouting for anything I can get to. I have a comfortable base camp covered and then hike in to a spot. I have a shooting from the hip attitude. Perhaps a moose north of Tok, a caribou north of Fairbanks or sheep and/or goat in the Wrangell-St Elias area, or all the above plus a bear or two. Had an exposure with moose and caribou but the rest will be new if someone cares to tag along.

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    My plan is to go hunting.

Actually, the draws are backup plans.
    Ditto

I'm more with you guys as I'll be hunting reguardless, being that I have available time but only the money to plan one trip to the mainland I wait till tags come out to plan anything. Only thing that is set in stone is my goat hunt in Sept, the rest is set in stone as well, just don't know which stone I'll get to throw.

Hunt as usual. I have been blessed with full freezers of meat without the draw every year. For me, the draw is just a chance at a better than average odds at a filled tag, but nothing is guaranteed. I hope to draw a tag this friday, but if not I still plan to hunt and hopefully harvest a Caribou, a bear (blackie) or two:O) If I score on caribou, I will skip moose this year as Caribou and bear meat will be enough to get me through, if no caribou, I will drop a moose like usual in my typical honey hole.
    Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!

Winter moose and bou hunts around Fbks.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

what he said. Best lesson i have learned.....dont let things you have no control over control your happiness.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast