Thread: Kimber MT 280 AI

Default Kimber MT 280 AI

Why do I need one of these? I have a ruger MKII in 280 rem, took a lot of work and some coin to get it to shoot, started out as a skeleton stocked ruger with a very heavy trigger pull, shot anywhere from 2" to 5" moa at 100 yds(blaming most of that on the 6lb trigger), the gun would have been sold but was a gift from my Grandfather when I moved up here for a mountain rifle. Didn't shoot very good at all until I put a timney trigger set at 2.5lbs and glass bedded a HS precision stock on there and now I can put 3 140gr tsx in the same hole or very close to it @ 100 yds...the only setback is the rifle weighs almost 9 lbs w/ scope which is a setback for a mtn rifle. I also have a browning x bolt carbon fiber stainless stalker that shoots 130gr tsx very well but am having a hard time warming up to this rifle. I have always wanted a Kimber MT and am thinking about the 280AI. I have an opportunity to pick one up this week from a friend that i know shoots the factory 140gr accubonds under an inch and would be the great lightweight mountain rifle that i've wanted for a long time, I just have a hard time justifying spending another $1500 on a rifle/scope that will do nothing more that what I already have other than doing it in a lighter package. It's not necessarily the money that is the issue but the fact that I have 2 very similar calibers that do the same thing but wouldn't be as much of a joy to carry(must say the x bolt is pretty light and my current sheep rifle). I am going to start reloading soon so availabity of ammo should not be an issue. Thoughts?

Are you looking for somebody to talk you into it, or talk you out of it?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Either or, I am most likely going to buy it due to it being a unconventional cartridge and I already know it is a shooter. After reading my post It looks like I was talking myself into the rifle and didn't even realize it, oh well...why not.

You should definately get the rifle......just because
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

I like mine and it is the only rifle that saw any field time this past year because it is just so much handier to carry than any other bolt rifle I own.

Shaving 3lbs of your carry rifle makes a huge difference. If you do get it, you can save a few more ozs by changing out the trigger guard. A guy on gunbroker sells them, changes out the steel for an aluminum one.

You mentioned that you would have sold your current rig if it had not been an heirloom, so why not buy your Kimber and pass down a rifle you like and enjoy hunting with?

I have a safe full so need is not really a factor, but your a guy right? and who don't like a new toy?

I can't wait to start working up some loads for mine.

Do like me, just buy it in case the wife ever wants to go.

Last edited by stid2677; 02-12-2013 at 07:14.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Stid - keep us posted on the work - I'm looking out the office window thinking today might be the day I begin - I'm still swabbing a little "black" out of the barrel but what the heck ! I can always start over again if it fouls badly - I think I'll TETRA it and go ..... I'll get back to ya

BTW - I REALLY like how you have the "rug"

Good point Stid, the wife definetely needs a reliable lightweight rifle that I can borrow from time to time. Nice Mtn Ascent by the way. If I get the rifle I will look into the trigger guard. Thanks for all the replies.

no pictures as I got caught in a rain squall but, at 100 yds,new Nosler brass / 210 M / 140 Accubond / 62.0 H4831SC = 4 into 1" & 62.5 = 4 into an honest 3/4" - this is with a warm barrel so we'll have to see what a cold barrel first shot looks like as we progress - I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of recoil