Thread: marlin 45-70 guide gun

Default marlin 45-70 guide gun

Just picked up a marlin 45-70 guide gun with the 18 inch barrell, I trying to get some input on the right bullet that i should use for my reload. the game will be for interior brown bear. anyone have any advice

Thanks

Start with a 405gr or heavier gas checked cast bullet, Starline brass, standard primers, H-322 and start cooking up recipes from the Hodgdon manual.

We've done enough DLP kills on brown bears with that combination that we have become true believers.

My bud likes the Cast Performance 405. Me personally, I like 420-430 gr boolits. I don't know if they give me anymore of a real edge, but both blow through 12"x12" pressure treated timbers and keep on sailing. They also blow through brown bears from beak to butt so they bleed and breath out both ends.

You may want to get a shooting partner to help with load testing since about 6 of those things are about all that one can handle in a string before flinching and recoil fatigue sets in. A Limbsaver probably wouldn't hurt either.
    Now what ?

My handloads are very close to stevelyn,

425 gr. Bear Tooth Bullets, Starline brass, Federal standard primers, H-322 powder.

I load to about 1700 fps.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

I guess I'm in the ball park Thinking of 405 gr bullets with starline brass, and was thinking of IMR4198 powder. What kind of groups are you getting and what is the max range

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    Start with a 405gr or heavier gas checked cast bullet, Starline brass, standard primers, H-322 and start cooking up recipes from the Hodgdon manual.

We've done enough DLP kills on brown bears with that combination that we have become true believers.

My bud likes the Cast Performance 405. Me personally, I like 420-430 gr boolits. I don't know if they give me anymore of a real edge, but both blow through 12"x12" pressure treated timbers and keep on sailing. They also blow through brown bears from beak to butt so they bleed and breath out both ends.

You may want to get a shooting partner to help with load testing since about 6 of those things are about all that one can handle in a string before flinching and recoil fatigue sets in. A Limbsaver probably wouldn't hurt either.

Quote Originally Posted by mccrimmon View Post
    I guess I'm in the ball park Thinking of 405 gr bullets with starline brass, and was thinking of IMR4198 powder. What kind of groups are you getting and what is the max range
    Max range is a 100yrds. The first couple or three shots are about 3" or so. By the last round they open up about the size of a grapefruit or a little larger. But they stay on the flat part of a paper plate. Part of it is recoil fatigue, the other is my ability to hold consistently with open sights, annoying eye floaters and the mostly flat, grey light I usually have shoot in out here.
    Now what ?

For my 'serious' hunting loads I use this: Oregon Trail 430 GC cast, IMR 4198, WW brass and CCI LR primers. It is a 'stout' load on both ends!!!!! I am pushing the bullet to almost 2000fps. Have taken two bison and one moose so far. Hope to be able to get a bear with it. In the mean time I have a hog hunt scheduled for May in which I will be using this load. It should be fun!

In my GG 43-70

Reloader 7 @ 51.8
    350gr Hornady FN or Kodiak FN
    WW Brass
    Fed 210 Match Primer
    This load gives me 2000 FPS and does not kick like 400 grain bullets

For Bear the 350gr HardCast FNGC (Pile Driver Lite) .459 dia is excellent by Beartooth Bullets
    I also use a Lee Factory Crimp Die to apply the crimp.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm
    Alaska

I just started loading this round last year so haven't shot anything yet. I'm loading 420 gc hard cast standeard primer and can't really exact weight of powder. But I chrono them at about 1800 fps. Anything more is not very fun! I shot a piece of glacier ice, (very dense) and I got almost 3 foot of penetration.

LOL, Well I have my load a planned out, now all I need is the powder. Its like panning for gold lol I haven't found any yet!!!! looking for IMR4198

I use 39 gr of H-322 under a Beartooth Bullets 525gr Pile Driver. This bullet is a hard cast, gas checked bullet and definitely carries a wallop. You will feel very comfortable carry this load while in big bear country. I agree with Stevelyn, have a Limbsaver installed.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug in Alaska View Post
    I use 39 gr of H-322 under a Beartooth Bullets 525gr Pile Driver. This bullet is a hard cast, gas checked bullet and definitely carries a wallop. You will feel very comfortable carry this load while in big bear country. I agree with Stevelyn, have a Limbsaver installed.
    I've got part of a box of 525 Pile Drivers, interested in buying them???? I use the 425's.
    PM if interested.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mccrimmon View Post
    LOL, Well I have my load a planned out, now all I need is the powder. Its like panning for gold lol I haven't found any yet!!!! looking for IMR4198
    I prefer RL 7 but you might not be able to find any of that either...
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

45-70 marlin GG! starline brass, 40 grains h322, 550 grain "craters" hard cast @ 1530 fps.

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."