Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Right handed & Left eye dominant

Default Right handed & Left eye dominant

As the title says. I'm working with a fairly new shooter that's right handed but left eye dominant.

Need some guidance on where to start, primarily which direction to take such a person in the rifle department.

Lefty, righty?

How should the be determined?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

If the person has never shot before, go lefty.

I'm right handed and left-eye dominant but I shot for probably 15 years before I knew what that even meant. I still shoot right handed, but I close my left-eye if I don't pay attention. Sometimes I can put a dab of chap stick on my shooting glasses in the left eye and it's enough to make my right eye take over. If I could do it all over again, I'd just shoot left handed.

If they are new to shooting start them shooting left handed. I am left eye dominate and right handed and it has plagued me over me but I just cant get changed over to being a left handed shooter.I've also been taught that left eye dominate shooters should also shoot left handed.

If he just started, start left handed. Otherwise he'll be fine right handed. It just gets a little more difficult with pistols and shotguns

sent from my igloo

Part II.

Looking for a rifle: lefty, stainless/synthetic in a 7mm-08.

You leftys have it bad! Lol
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Feel our pain! I've seen lots of folks desperately wanting a 7mm-08 left handed rifle. If you absolutely, world is going to end if you can't have it, need a 7mm-08, then you might have to build one up to suit your liking. If you can hang with the very respectable, kill anything that the 7mm-08 can kill, get a left handed .308. Makes life easy

I'm not seeing anything in stainless/synthetic LOL

Winchester. Nope.
    Kimber. Nope.
    Browning- xbolt medallion, wood.
    Ruger. Nope.

Tikka, Savage, older Rugers....

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Tikka, Savage, older Rugers....
    Problem is Beretta sucks on importing good lefty rounds.

My dad is lefty. He shoots a right handed bolt left handed. He's amazingly fast reaching over the top and running the bolt that way.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    My dad is lefty. He shoots a right handed bolt left handed. He's amazingly fast reaching over the top and running the bolt that way.
    I've pondered that, but, now sure if that's th right way for a newish shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Part II.

Looking for a rifle: lefty, stainless/synthetic in a 7mm-08.

You leftys have it bad! Lol
    Tell me about it.
    Savage makes a stainless synthetic stocked 7mm-08 lefty. It's the model 16 FLHSS. It's served me well in 7mm mag. I had a hard time finding a model 11 LH youth in 7mm-08 for my right handed/left eyed wife and left handed daughter.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Keeping in mind that I always shoot with one eye closed, If one was Right Handed, I would think it would be better functionally to shoot Right Handed, and vise versa.

What's wrong with my thinking here?

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Keeping in mind that I always shoot with one eye closed, If one was Right Handed, I would think it would be better functionally to shoot Right Handed, and vise versa.

What's wrong with my thinking here?

SOTN

We're "supposed" to shoot with both eyes open and if you're left-eyed and right-handed, the wrong eye is "looking" down the barrel. I've killed thousands of birds on the wing shooting right-handed and being left-eyed. They say it's science, but I call it jibba jabba.

Ive never shot bith eyes open. As with a new shooter lacking young age to learn over time, I'd like to go down the "right" path.

There is always the option of a lever rifle like a browning in 308. Or a remington pump, or various single shots ruger and tc i have a wife and daughter in the same issue

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    We're "supposed" to shoot with both eyes open and if you're left-eyed and right-handed, the wrong eye is "looking" down the barrel. I've killed thousands of birds on the wing shooting right-handed and being left-eyed. They say it's science, but I call it jibba jabba.
    I've heard that. With me, old habits are hard to break.

Does keeping both eyes hold true with using a scope? Or, just iron sights?

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I've heard that. With me, old habits are hard to break.

Does keeping both eyes hold true with using a scope? Or, just iron sights?

SOTN

Same here. I couldn't tell you because my left eye is hardly ever open and when it is, I don't notice a difference. I'll just chalk it up as something else I do improperly. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Problem is Beretta sucks on importing good lefty rounds.
    I am sort of confused on this one. The Tikka is a fine out of the box shooter

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast