Thread: 140 grain SST for .270 win. What do you think?

Default 140 grain SST for .270 win. What do you think?

How does everybody like these in a .270 Winchester? Any good for caribou, sheep, black bear and moose?

Release Lake Trout

Dukies gun likes em and they killed everything on your list.Gonna load up a few and see how my gun likes em.

Sweet I jus picked up a box of 100.... And a set of dies, some Winnie brass and a box 100 130 grain interlocks as well.... Gonna start loading tomorrow.... Jus hafta decide what powder I should use? Anyone have a pet load?

Release Lake Trout

I've seen duke make some great shots on moose and bear and deer with that rifle of his..... And I recall he always does use them sst bullets.... He shot that blackie last spring....worked dam good

Release Lake Trout

Huntnfish these bullets work just fine in my 270. 56gr of H4831SC shoots extremely well. Easily sub moa and chrono's 2950. I have no idea how they work on moose as I use mine for deer only. Have a 338-06AI for the big stuff. As always start lower and work your way up. Good luck.

My best luck in the .270's has always been with H4831. The more of the round I shoot the more I prefer the 140 and 150 grain bullets.

A buddy of mine took a deer with a .308 shooting SSTs and it went quite a ways with a decent shot, he shot an elk with the same load about 2 weeks later TWICE and never found it. I wouldn't trust them on anything bigger than deer. My opinion of course, there are just beter options out there.

Thanks everyone for the great responses..... I spent the day in Lewiston Idaho today waiting around for my GF to get out of class.....while waiting I hit three diff shops.... Tri state outfitters had brass and lotsa bullets, no powder ...... Winchester .270 brass ( 50 count) was $33....bullets were also high prices..... Next stop went to black sheep outfitters..... They jus got a shipment in this morning..... Same bag o brass was $28.... Grabbed it. Bags of .300 win mag (50 ct) were $48.99!!!!! *******s! Finally last stop was lolo shooting supply.... They had 150 grain partitions in .270 .35 cents a piece.... Got 50 of them.... They also had exactly 41 pieces of Winchester brass in .270. .45 cents a piece. I bought em all.... Also got a box of 140 accubonds (21.00 per 50) and 150 ballistic tips (15.99 for 50)

Release Lake Trout

I wanted to load up some 140s as well, as I've "heard" that 140s in a 270 is kind of a "sweet spot". But a fellow coworker only loads up Barnes. I started to research and Barnes claims that you can use a lighter grain Triple Shoc and it will perform as a heavier grain bullet will. I ended up buying some 130 grn. Barnes TTS to load up. I haven't loaded any yet so can't give you any reports. Just wanted to share what I learned.

Also what I've always heard about what makes the 270 such a great round is that you can get near magnum velocities without the belt. Another reason to keep the 130 grn slug. Meaning at, or around, 3000 fps....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I think it's a great caliber with a good variety of different loads for different game..... My dad and I have been building up a vz24 Mauser action with a 24" pencil style barrel in .270 for my GFs surprise birthday present...jus waiting on the stock to get shipped over...... She loves .270 and shoots it very very well.... 150s kick her a little more than she likes but the 140 and 130s don't bother her at all. So I've been stocking up on .270 components and trying to research different loads and bullet ballistics.....

Release Lake Trout

i shoot them 130's out of my 270 wsm for everything. shot 2 moose and 2 black bear the past few years and they worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    How does everybody like these in a .270 Winchester? Any good for caribou, sheep, black bear and moose?
    A better hornady all purpose bullet for the 270win is the 140gr BTSP it works great on deer and elk. The 150gr or 160gr partition are the best for large game like moose and is what I would use for black bear to insure an exit hole. The 150gr PT is an spendy but true all perpose 270win bullet Black tails to moose it will work.

I have used the 140gr BTSP and its cost effective, I now have some 140gr PT's loaded to see how my gun likes them (work up loads). Also many of the newer tipped bullets are getting very long loger than some 150gr bullets. I have both 140gr AB's and PT's too try out this year.

I know have quite an assortment of different rounds for this rifle. I've had great results with Hornady 140 and 130 interlocks. And the 150 partitions shoot good too. Most loads ive done are shooting 1.25-1.50" groups at 125 yards. Fixin to load up some Speer deep curl 150s with RL 19 and try them out. Next up, 130 tsx, 140 ABs, 130 ABs, 150 ballistic tip, and some where in between ill get around to loading the ssts. I haven't loaded any yet.

Release Lake Trout

It'll be interesting to see your results,..

I'm shooting wsm, and just Love all the bullet options in .277,...

but for my rifle, I've bagged the 140's cause I just couldn't get them dialed in on paper,...

the 130's, like Any build of them,...work like a dream for accuracy, and kill the smaller critters Really Nicely
    Black Bear and Deer I mean

Then, for my rifle, the 150's Nosler, Speer, Sierra, and Hornady all have done well

but those darn 140's, Nosler Partition, and Hornady SST's would not match up to those other two,...???
    That's just on paper, but they were just a little freaky, not quite "dialable" (if that's a word ??)

Hope they work well for ya,...seems like a really good weight to me,...I tried several hundred
    (just thought I'd toss in my experience, and of course it might be vastly different with a non-SM .270)
    Keep us informed what happens
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

This morning I am loading up 140 interlocks, and some ssts to test against each other. Throw some 150 speeds in the mix and ill be sure and let you know the results. Range will be 125.

Release Lake Trout

I am in the process of doing a load workup for 140 gr Barnes TSX for my .270 using Ramshot Hunter and another with H4350, Barnes recommendations. I'm excited to go shoot it and see what's working good.