Thread: Wolf cubby set

Default Wolf cubby set

I put this set out on Saturday, and will be checking it on Tuesday on my return trip. About a month ago I set up the trees and left some chum in the area which was all gone and eaten up by wolves. It looks like a pack of 4 worked through the area. I set up some caribou scraps and have a #5 coilspring positioned at the entrance. I also had some salmon strips that were left over that I chummed the area with a bit.

Is there anything you see that I should do better or different? Eventually I'd like to snare an area like this. Lots of wolves work through here, but not every day, and I only have a limited chance to trap here. I imagine setting up snares and not checking for nearly 3 weeks would be too big of a risk.

If you catch a wolf in that set, they will be stupid. Wolves are pretty wary creatures. That set has a lot more chance at catching a cat or wolverine, maybe a fox. If you would have thrown some bait out and snared the trails, would have a MUCH better chance at catching a wolf or two. Good luck.

Agreed. The wolves I've dealt with would see that stripped rib cage hanging in the bushes and split! The only luck I have had "personally" with baited sets for wolves is if it was something they killed and been to a time or 2 without consequence.

Well, it doesn't get any closer than this. I'm not sure if this was a small wolf, or a coyote, but it worked its way right into my set, grabbed the caribou leg bone and while it pulled it out, the leg bone set off the trap. Lots of tracks in the area, but I think it was one animal working its way around.

Next year I plan to snare the area instead of put out a single cubby set. There isn't any trapping action going on around these parts, so I don't think the animals are as cautious as they would be elsewhere that gets a lot of pressure.

Jerry.....definatly set farther back if you're going to trap the cubby itself. Even for cats I think atleast me personally I crowd the cubby too close. This year every cat we had ran right by without tripping a pan...lots of close but no cigars.

put that bait pile/cubby what have you in a thicker section and snare the tarnation out of it. A blind trail set with a 9 going in and out of the set itself would be good also. Just beware. Using moose carcass's, you'll attract moose! Lastly depending on how far you've gotta go, I'd make a peepost set and see if they use it back a ways. Depending on their route if its a long one I'd set it. If they're coming around regularly you could wait and see how they react too it. Either they're going to use it or go around, either way its setable. Basically use that bait pile to get'm in the area. Unlike a cat cubby where you're trying to get them in the cubby itself. I'd set a snare in every trail back 100-200ish yards depending on terrian that you can find they're using along with the trail sets...pee post would be optional unless you find one they're using... If you do I'd highly recommend setting it.

I dont know if I'd put a set right at the bait either and here's why. YOu may catch one...after that if any of the others in the pack that saw him they'll never (not likely) come back into it. Hence the extra sets (both snares and a few more legholds). Though if you only have a couple and you're main goal is to just catch one...I'd leave a set at the bait site. I wolf from a different pack or young wolf may come through the catch circle to investigate, so if you have the gear resetting is something I'd recommend.

They get wise FAST! especially when they're not used to human intrusion. If they're used to seeing sleds/people you can get away with more from what I've experienced.

Post pics when he comes back!

Good advice from the other trappers for sure, where I live the first thing you'd catch would be a bird of prey! hide that bait, canines have great noses!

This morning, I had a double snare set going at a cubby. One was pushed in, and the other snare was dragged out and was closed down to about 1 1/2 inches. I think i got a wolf by the nose and he pulled out. They have been howling at night lately around here. I am going to make the cuby deeper so they have to get in there farther to make sure they get their head in it instead of just there nose.

Like others have stated a cubby is a poor choice for a wolf set I would set up any trails coming into a bait with snares or traps also be mindful of caribou and moose and use a breakaway snare lock and or a pole across the trail if there is that chance.

Quote Originally Posted by yukonjeff View Post
    Like others have stated a cubby is a poor choice for a wolf set I would set up any trails coming into a bait with snares or traps also be mindful of caribou and moose and use a breakaway snare lock and or a pole across the trail if there is that chance.

It wouldn't be my first choice either. I was set for fox and lynx. Guess the wolf couldn't read.

Its a poor choice for fox as well you could always get them some reading glasses

LOL. Apparently, the fox I catch in them are nearsighted. They seem to have the need to get right up close in them. I set in trails and runways leading to them as well. The shemale I got yesterday was headed for it. I got her in a gulley snare before she got close enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Manokotakbirder View Post
    This morning, I had a double snare set going at a cubby. One was pushed in, and the other snare was dragged out and was closed down to about 1 1/2 inches. I think i got a wolf by the nose and he pulled out. They have been howling at night lately around here. I am going to make the cuby deeper so they have to get in there farther to make sure they get their head in it instead of just there nose.
    I guess you pretty much have it figured out then good luck and have a great season.

I guess you pretty much have it figured out then good luck and have a great season.

LOL. Not by a long shot. You will learn something each and every time you go out if you keep your mind open for it. Nice video and a tasty looking moose. Watch that safety! lol Have a great year yourself.

Yukonjeff (quote)"Our season opens Nov 10. I would venture to guess that OCT 1 they will be pretty flat yet and worth much more in a month from then."

Why does Wyoming fur prime by November 1st, and our fur isn't prime until Dec 1st. Also, on St. Lawrence Island we call it Mungtuk. Guess it depends on your dialect.
    Last edited by Manokotakbirder; 11-17-2013 at 19:18. Reason: add to it