Thread: Holster for Super Redhawk 5"

Default Holster for Super Redhawk 5"

I just got new to me Ruger Super Redhawk 5" and was looking for some holster recommendations. Prefer Leather and Strong side carry. Also, does anyone have any recommendations on lightening the trigger pull, it's heavy with some creep. I read where you can change out the springs, but wanted to see if I should just take it to a smith to fix it.

Used Mikes nylon holster for a few years but really like my new Galco leather. Got it off amazon for a bit less.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.as...3026&GunID=309

I have a Simply Rugged Pancake for my 4" Redhawk, best hoslter I have ever owned. Does great at 5oclock OWB. I got the $40 gunbelt (tripleK I think) from sportsmens warehouse, the belt gets another hole every couple months or so.

I would expect a Simply Rugged will take the weight just fine, you are gonna want a really good belt to hold it. I am looking at $80 gun blets on line these days, current front runner is horsehide by I think AG custom leather.

http://shop.simplyrugged.com/ecommer...151&parent=669

Yup, it was AG. Been reading up on belts lately. I hear the nylon woven ones are great, but I really want leather...

http://agcustomgunleather.com/

Simply Rugged sourdough pancake and a chesty puller. I love mine for the 5.5" Super Blackhawk.

Quote Originally Posted by lgall View Post
    I just got new to me Ruger Super Redhawk 5" and was looking for some holster recommendations. Prefer Leather and Strong side carry. Also, does anyone have any recommendations on lightening the trigger pull, it's heavy with some creep. I read where you can change out the springs, but wanted to see if I should just take it to a smith to fix it.
    Did you buy a Super Redhawk (SRH) 7.5 inch or a Redhawk (RH) 5 inch? Or a SRH chopped to 5"?

The SRH action is totally different than the RH. It has separate hammer and trigger springs. The RH uses the same spring for both. Going with a lighter spring can result in light primer strikes. If you have a RH, dry fire it about 1000 times. I'm not joking. Then, if you are comfortable take it apart according to the owners manual and polish everything that moves that touches something. Polish only, don't file.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

I was mistaken, it is a Redhawk not a Super Redhawk.

If you're looking for custom on the gun leather I can fix you right up. I make 'em one at a time to order all by hand. And I just happen to have a 5" Redhawk sitting right here beside me.

I was mistaken, it is a Redhawk not a Super Redhawk.
    Ok, I have one of those. The first 500 dry fires all make a difference in smoothing up the action, about 50 at a time. From there another 500 makes a noticeable difference, and another 500... I am up to about 8000 cycles, 3000 live rounds and ~5k dry fires. I don't sit around watching a TV show with the pistol going click, click, click, click, click anymore. I about drove my wife to see a judge, but the action smoothed up real nice.

One of my hunting buddys has about 20k cycles on his Redhawk and it is really, really nice. Or you can send it in to any number of gunsmiths. Up around 7k cycles you'll have a real nice gun, but it will keep getting better.

If $$$ is an issue you might think about these guys. Among made to measure belts with uniformly positive reviews, this is the one with the lowest price I have found... http://www.bullhidebelts.com/Gun-Belts_ep_111-1.html

I really like the simply rugged sourdough pancake holster, and they seem to make a nice belt also. I may go that route. They also seem very reasonably priced. As far as the trigger pull, I may go the polish and dry fire route.

I really like the simply rugged sourdough pancake holster, and they seem to make a nice belt also. I may go that route. They also seem very reasonably priced. As far as the trigger pull, I may go the polish and dry fire route.
    I'm probably one of the few that doesn't like the simply rugged pancake. Nice holster, just didn't fit my skinny arse very well.

I use a Bianchi 5BH or a Diamond D chest. My favorite strong side for a 4" is the Bianchi 7001 AccuMold. The one for the N frame S&W fits 4" Redhawk/SuperRedhawk also.

I've bought a pile of holsters over the years, it comes down to personal fit.

If you decide to dry fire a bunch. Do it slowly, that will help to keep from peening the bolt stop notches. I prefer to take apart and polish.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

I will concede to travelers on this one. FWIW I bought my Simply Rugged used from him at a very very fair price. I am 5'10", ~190# typical middle aged guy - my shoulder muscles took a vacation down around my navel about 8 years ago and never did come back.

It makes perfect sense to me that a holster that fits one somebody perfect may not be so great on someone shaped differently.

Also, I do have one holster stamped 4" Nframe/ 4" Redhawk that fits my Redhawk just fine, I have never stuck an Nframe in it. Its a scabbard type I picked up at Sportsmen's, otherwise unremarkable.

I have 2 holsters from Simply Rugged. One for my carry gun, Ruger SP101 357with a 2.5" barrel and one for my 5.5" SBH. They both have slots for forward cant and straight up and I can use the chesty puller with both if I wish. Also the holster for the SP101 can be worn IWB with leather belt straps.
    I also have a Hunter crossdraw for my scoped 7.5" SBH that I cut the top out to except the scope.It works ok but I think I may have SR make one for it to.
    The chesty puller will come in handy while backpacking with the SP101 and its very adjustable to wear over a big coat while stand hunting.
    Good product, excellent customer service. Check out their site at www.simplyrugged.com .

I have a .480 Super Redhawk. A few questions:

Is it heavy and creepy on single action? I've fired six separate SRHs and haven't seen a bad one. They are a bit much on double action, but it's a honkin' big pistol. I have some links for you, you can read the exuberant reviews for yourself. Combine them all on your revolver and you'll fall in love with that SRH. There's some awesome goodies to be had to help your pistol and they're all cheap.

1. The Hogue Tamer monogrip with the gel in the back. Amazing upgrade. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/231...0-rubber-black
    2. Wolf springs. You can make your SRH as light as you desire. Might take some patience get the spring you like in there, the factory one is heavy. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/351...-reduced-power
    3. Williams Firesights. They are great. They make a huge difference in accuracy. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/325...er-optic-green

I got the Alaskan Sportsman's Holster http://www.alaskasportsmanproducts.com/ I prefer my bear pistol to be on my chest. If you're laying on your keester, it's hard to draw your revolver!